Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:25 AM

961 posts, read 2,565,301 times

Advertisements

Thanks, DaniellaG. It is good to hear that the people are friendly. Any insights are helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 08:08 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
Thanks, DaniellaG. It is good to hear that the people are friendly. Any insights are helpful.
You are welcome. To me since the areas you are asking about are all good it may help to look at homes or apartments because that could help you make the choice.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:47 PM

DaniellaG, I have been watching mls on all of these areas and it seems most of the housing is quite similar (and not really out style). Each time we have been there to visit, we have driven around and gotten the same impression. We would prefer a one story mid century ranch so that does narrow things down a bit. Also, I think what it will come down to for us will be the best fit with regards to schools for our children. That is why I was trying to solicit more information about schools in the area. There are nuances to each school that only locals are aware of. I have realized that you can come into any community and those nuances are well known and understood by the parents, but to an outsider, there is no way to ascertain this information unless you talk to the locals. Which is what makes city data invaluable for relocation research.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:47 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
DaniellaG, I have been watching mls on all of these areas and it seems most of the housing is quite similar (and not really out style). Each time we have been there to visit, we have driven around and gotten the same impression. We would prefer a one story mid century ranch so that does narrow things down a bit. Also, I think what it will come down to for us will be the best fit with regards to schools for our children. That is why I was trying to solicit more information about schools in the area. There are nuances to each school that only locals are aware of. I have realized that you can come into any community and those nuances are well known and understood by the parents, but to an outsider, there is no way to ascertain this information unless you talk to the locals. Which is what makes city data invaluable for relocation research.
In order of affluence the high schools are considered by locals like this: Oaks Christian (private) > Westlake about equal to Agoura Hills > Thousand oaks > Newbury park. You won't hear as much about Calabasas since it is separated a bit geographically, so I don't know as much about them.

Some people place a great deal of importance on how they are perceived by others and this may affect what school they would prefer. Academically, you would most likely be fine at any of them. I consider the choice of a child's university to be more important for long term career development.

P.S.- Most of the one story mid century Ranch you will find in Thousand Oaks.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:14 AM

Thanks, RoaminRebel (love your screen name btw). We would be less concerned with prestige and more interested in hearing about which schools are better geared toward the arts vs. sports. Our girls are serious ballerinas and very interested in theater and art. Does anyone know which middle and high schools would be the best fit? TIA!

Old 02-15-2014, 10:32 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
Quote:
Thanks, RoaminRebel (love your screen name btw). We would be less concerned with prestige and more interested in hearing about which schools are better geared toward the arts vs. sports. Our girls are serious ballerinas and very interested in theater and art. Does anyone know which middle and high schools would be the best fit? TIA!

I lost touch with this lady or I would ask her but her daughter was in high school and I think played sports of some kind and she chose Westlake High. She actually lived in TO but I think there is some choice or lotto program where you can live in once city but go to WL. I could be wrong but possibly someone else could give feedback or something for you to look into. I understand your children are into arts but I brought this up because of living in one city but going to another cities school.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:28 PM

Thanks, DaniellaG. Someone else said it is school of choice in that area so we should be able to choose, but that might only work if it is TO vs Westlake High in terms of location and driving distance from our home. But that is pretty far away at this point as our girls are only in elementary.

One of the things we are concerned about is ending up in another sleepy, boring suburban area with older parents who aren't anything like us. Each time we have stayed in TO for the weekend, that is what we have seen. That is what we have now and are trying to get away from. Not sure if this will translate properly, but we feel like the area where we live is asexual. The people are so dull and boring. No one seems to have any passion or lust for life. They are content in their boring lives.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:21 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
....Each time we have stayed in TO for the weekend, that is what we have seen. That is what we have now and are trying to get away from. Not sure if this will translate properly, but we feel like the area where we live is asexual. The people are so dull and boring. No one seems to have any passion or lust for life. They are content in their boring lives.
janetarzana, having read your posts here and on the OC forum, I want to change my mind to recommending that you should reconsider the Westside, in the Santa Monica general area (the whole Westside).

That is, from your aiming for the large suburban house and white bread schools, to instead choosing to enjoy a wide variety of residential and commercial architecture, access to a rich and deeply embedded cultural focus, exposure to diverse peoples, an unending nearby supply of exciting and intellectually satisfying museums, events, lectures, and MeetUps, good schools where your children can meet interesting and stimulating friends from all backgrounds (and potentially make more contacts in the dance field), a liberal acceptance to differences, and an huge adult peer group of people who are involved in the arts, politics, entertainment, beaches, hiking, sustainability, metaphysics, you-name-it. There, boring it is not.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:42 PM

Thanks, nightlysparrow. You speak with authority as you may have lived there before which is helpful. By Westside, are you referring to the westside of Santa Monica or Bel Air, Beverly Crest, Beverly Hills, Beverlywood, Brentwood, Centurt City, Chevoit Hills, Culver City, Ladera Heights, Malibu, Mar Vista, Palms, Pico-Robertson, Playa del Rey, Playa Vista, Rancho Park, Santa Monica, Sawtelle, West LA and Westwood?

Do you think we can find a 4/2 or 3/2 for under $750K in that area? We are open to a townhouse with a small yard for our dog as long as it is in a safe area with excellent schools.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:32 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Wow. You have really done your research. Yes, any or all of the above places, plus eastern Venice, like the Abbott Kinney area, for example. With all those choices, and your (apparent!) determination, and your spirited quest for information, you should find something, I imagine.

BTW, I do much of my social and cultural fulfillment activities in the area (yes, I drive the 40+ miles) and formerly lived and worked there. Where I live has many positive attributes, but.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County