Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 01:50 AM

341 posts, read 677,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
After being back in California for 5 years now, the Ventura County specifically, we are ready to move to Arizona or Idaho, with AZ being the preferred state since I am also familiar with the Mesa area. Northern Idaho is beautiful, but too cold in the winter.

We are finding that no matter how much money we make it just is not enough to do more that just get by. As soon as a pay raise or promotion comes along the taxes, gas, food and rents go up as well. Now that I am self-employed and working mostly from home we are looking for opportunities for my husband so that we can get out of here.
Why do you feel a need to instantly increase the rental size or gas consumption as soon as a raise comes in?

If your cost stays the same, add in a raise, there should be relief. In your description though, you get a raise, rent a more expensive place, drive more and eat more ultimately nullifying the raise into a wash.

Sounds like your problem is self induced. Not ventura's problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 08:55 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,485,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post
Why do you feel a need to instantly increase the rental size or gas consumption as soon as a raise comes in?

If your cost stays the same, add in a raise, there should be relief. In your description though, you get a raise, rent a more expensive place, drive more and eat more ultimately nullifying the raise into a wash.

Sounds like your problem is self induced. Not ventura's problem.
I think what she's saying is that cost-of-living adjustments in the form of pay raises are, at best, barely sufficient to keep up with cost-of-living increases, i.e., you need to get regular pay raises just to stand still on the the economic ladder.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:33 AM

15 posts, read 46,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveydoe View Post
Thanks for the observations. You obviously have different priorities than me if having a drivethru SB is a priority. I prefer going to an independently owned non-drivethru coffee house myself (I haven't moved yet but there is a nice one next to the fresh grill on Main E of downtown). Overall, the less drivethrus and chains the better. This is what appeals to me about Ventura -- a nice, renovated DT with (what appear to be) lots of small, independent businesses. Also, consider cutting back on the $5 coffees if $ is a concern?
Im not sure if your reply was in reference to my post, but I definitely did not say I was looking for any "drive-thrus" or "chains"...quite the opposite, which is why I love Ojai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County