Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 05:01 PM

4 posts, read 13,295 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Hello all,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]My name is Sam and I am finally coming home. I was born and raised in Santa Barbara, and willbe retiring from the Air Force this coming May. With the high prices inS.B., and a single income for our family of four, I am hoping that we willfind a home in Port Hueneme, Ventura or Oxnard. During arecent visit my wife and I really liked Port Huenemeand need some input from the experts (you). [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]School Questions (kids are 4 years and 2 months) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1. The schools are all rated low (1-4), is this becausea large percentage of the students do not speak English or because theschools simply suck?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]2.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Ifthe schools suck, what are my options? I fear with the added housingexpenses we wouldn't be able to afford private school. I keephearing about co-ops, what is that? Also, does anyone have anyinformation on home-schooling? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Housing (Budget between 350K-400K)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]3.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Cansomeone please upload a map showing the good areas in Port Hueneme and Oxnard? Specific landmarks will do. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]4. My wife and I are mid 30’s andwant to be as close to the beach as possible. Safety and family friendly are a must. We are not into clubs or parties, we enjoy peace and quiet. Any suggestions???[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Last edited by drivinglesson; 01-20-2014 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 05:03 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Ooooh! That's a hard one to read.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:04 PM

I'm so sorry,

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Hello all,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]My name is Sam and I am finally coming home. I was born and raised in Santa Barbara, and willbe retiring from the Air Force this coming May. With the high prices inS.B., and a single income for our family of four, I am hoping that we willfind a home in Port Hueneme, Ventura or Oxnard. During arecent visit my wife and I really liked Port Huenemeand need some input from the experts (you). [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]School Questions (kids are 4 years and 2 months) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1. The schools are all rated low (1-4), is this becausea large percentage of the students do not speak English or because theschools simply suck?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]2.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Ifthe schools suck, what are my options? I fear with the added housingexpenses we wouldn't be able to afford private school. I keephearing about co-ops, what is that? Also, does anyone have anyinformation on home-schooling? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Housing (Budget between 350K-400K)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]3.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Cansomeone please upload a map showing the good areas in Port Hueneme and Oxnard? Specific landmarks will do. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]4. My wife and I are mid 30’s andwant to be as close to the beach as possible. Safety and family friendly are a must. We are not into clubs or parties, we enjoy peace and quiet. Any suggestions???[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 01-20-2014, 05:05 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
ouch

Old 01-20-2014, 05:41 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinglesson View Post
Hello all, My name is Sam and I am finally coming home. I was born and raised in Santa Barbara, and willbe retiring from the Air Force this coming May. With the high prices inS.B., and a single income for our family of four, I am hoping that we willfind a home in Port Hueneme, Ventura or Oxnard. During arecent visit my wife and I really liked Port Huenemeand need some input from the experts (you). School Questions (kids are 4 years and 2 months)

1. The schools are all rated low (1-4), is this becausea large percentage of the students do not speak English or because theschools simply suck?
2.If the schools suck, what are my options? I fear with the added housingexpenses we wouldn't be able to afford private school. I keephearing about co-ops, what is that? Also, does anyone have anyinformation on home-schooling?
3.Housing (Budget between 350K-400K)Can someone please upload a map showing the good areas in Port Hueneme and Oxnard? Specific landmarks will do.
4.My wife and I are mid 30’s andwant to be as close to the beach as possible. Safety and family friendly are a must. We are not into clubs or parties, we enjoy peace and quiet. Any suggestions???
fixed up

Old 01-20-2014, 05:44 PM

Thank you NightlySparrow, what did I do wrong???

Old 01-20-2014, 06:08 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinglesson View Post
Thank you NightlySparrow, what did I do wrong???
Don't know! But have seen others do it

Old 01-20-2014, 08:05 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,376 times
I too grew up in Santa Barbara and my husband recently retired from the Air Force. I honestly haven't been back in about 5 years but still have friends and family in the area. I here constant complaining about traffic on the 101 and most people have to commute in or out for work. No Thanks. When is the last time you've been back?

We didn't know where we wanted to retire to either but ended up back in LV for the meantime because of upside down housing and ease of finding employment based on my employment history. For one iota I thought of returning to California but came to my senses and realized my quality of life would go down based on taxation and cost of living. Since being back it appears as if people are leaving Cali in droves. I think Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Idaho and now Nevada are starting to have their fill of us.

We spent 3 years at Eglin and it reminded me wholeheartedly of Santa Barbara. We considered staying there but that's when I knew I was a west coast girl. I spent post high school years partying and living in Port Hueneme through Ventura and loved it but that was 20 years ago. Have you considered out by Point Mugu. That is my secret escape when I need to get out of the desert.

Seems like a lot of airmen are getting out while the getting is good. Best of luck. It was scary for us but we survived. Husband was out of work for 6 months but eventually found something. Ironically, its a traveling job with frequent stays in Cali. Bonus for a built in vacay for me. Yeah!!

Old 01-20-2014, 09:39 PM

I was back home several months ago, and I felt like I could finally breath again. Between the summers in the south and the "desert," I can't handle hot weather anymore. I'm the first to say that California has issues, especially after living in the south. That said, it's home. We go to Destin often in order to get our beach fix, but it's not the same. Hopefully I can get a job with all this education, I'd hate to have to turn towArds organized crime... Sounds like we grew up in the S.B. about the same time, what high school? S.B. High for me, class of 93. Oh, I'll look into Point Mugu; thanks for the tip.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:14 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,376 times
Class of 89 . Ironically my southern born spouse didn't want to return to his home state, I did. He wants to move to SB too. God luck on your plans. Hope they work out for you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County