Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:52 AM

5 posts, read 61,320 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to buy our first home. We have two boys 12,13. We are planning for one-two more in the near future. We currently live in San Pedro in the Los Angeles area and are ready to move from here to a safer city. I am a Homemaker and he will be working in Port Hueneme. My question is what's the "all around" differences between TO and NP? I would appreciate any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 07:45 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,101,365 times
They are similar. Very nice areas and very safe. Great Schools. An all around great area to raise children. Newbury Park is smaller compared to T.O. Thousand Oaks is more spread out. I would also check out the schools if I was you. Maybe greatschools.net would be where I would start. I'm looking to move to Westlake myself.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:14 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Newbury Park is a community within Thousand Oaks, but we'll call them out separately for simplicity. They are both extremely safe. (Not sure about San Pedro. I played football in high school in 1976 and we beat Mary Star of the Sea High School in SP and when our bus pulled away a whole bunch of MSOS kids threw rocks and bottles through our bus windows and my buddy got broken glass in his eye. We were at Torrance hospital till 1AM...) NP has a higher percentage of homes 30+ years old however there is a very new development called Dos Vientos. It is on the southwest side of Newbury Park, and from DV you can get to PH via Portreo Road to Hueneme Road or the 101 to Pleasant Valley Road. NP is a little farther from the San Fernando Valley should he ever need to work there. There are three high schools: NPHS, TOHS, and Westlake High School. All three are excellent with the very slight edge going to WHS. Culturally, TO seems to have more foreigners (like from the east coast and other countries) but it isn't that obvious. There seems to be more recently build subdivisions in TO vs NP. I lived in the Lang Ranch Oakcreek subdivision built in 1997 until 2006. I worked at Point Mugu for ten years. If he likes surfing I think he can use his Hueneme badge to get on Point Mugu and surf there. It is excellent and completely uncrowded. At Hueneme he can rent really cheaply campers, boats, camping equipment too. We used to rent fishing boats from there for practically free. There is a really nice gym there, a golf course, a two outdoor pools. Really nice.

If your kids play soccer, check out AYSO district 9. It is an excellent organization. The play at the huge Conejo Creek Park near the TO library.

http://www.aysoregion9.org/

Do you have more specific questions? If so, I can help. I know that region quite well.

It's days like this that I miss TO. Today I drove halfway to work but I turned around because the roads were so icy it was like driving on greased glass.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:16 AM

2,392 posts, read 2,540,509 times
I agree with the other posts, both are very similar. Safe & nice places. Newbury Park has more of a small town community feel to me. I live in Camarillo & enjoy visiting both TO & Newbury Park. Also, as Roma said check out the schools, so you can find one that matches your family best. I don't know specifics of the schools, but they do have good reputations in the area.

We went to The Lakes shopping center next to TO Civic Arts Plaza last weekend & they have an ice skating rink set up & live music. It was so nice. There are many fun things to do in Thousand Oaks.

http://www.shoplakes.com/content.php?tag=4&pg=4 (broken link)

Also, there are outdoor recreation areas to hike & I think there are mountain bike trails too...or you can go to the beach, since it's not too far.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:05 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,242 times
I live in the NP portion of Thousand Oaks. I have lived in this area since the late 70s. It is a wonderful place to raise a family (my kids are teenagers).

The differences between TO and NP are subtle, the others have described things well. What I like most about NP is that is has a little more of a small town feel, even though its really still part of TO. People are generally friendlier in the stores, restaurants, etc. NP basically has no night life, things close up. I actually like that! TO has more things open later & thus more to do.

The other difference is that pretty much everyone who lives in NP - their kids will go to NPHS. Where in TO, the kids are split between TO and Westlake. All the high schools are wonderful, and I dont think there is an advantage to any of them. My kids attend NPHS and its been wonderful! They have the block schedule, which is more like college. They still take 6 classes per year, but they take 3 in the fall and 3 in the spring. This gives them more concentrated time in the classroom. Classes are longer, but my kids love it. They like the fact that they can really focus on those 3 classes, rather than having 6 classes every day. TO and Westlake have traditional schedules.

Sports and extra curricular activities will be the same no matter which city you choose. AYSO, Little League, Pony Football, Swim Teams, Dance, etc. And you can EASILY get to the whole city pretty quick, so even if you live in NP, your kids could take a karate class or something in TO.

TO does have the large library, where NP has a tiny one. We love the intimacy of the NP library, actually, but sometimes they dont have all the items needed so we go to the TO branch.

TO has the Teen Center which my kids enjoyed when they were a little younger. Kids from the entire Conejo Valley go there (TO, NP & Westlake)

Shopping is plentiful in all areas.

The entire Conejo Valley is a family friendly area. Of course some neighborhoods are nicer than others, but as a whole - I dont think you can go wrong. There are only a handful of neighborhoods that I would avoid, but you'll know what they are as soon as you see them

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help!

Old 12-14-2007, 10:35 PM

708 posts, read 688,178 times
personally i think there both nice...when i lived in Oak Park i was always in T.O and Neburary Park. Neburary Park is much smaller some very expensive homes and some very cheap homes and there is a Target near by a Home Depot a Party City i believe. They just opened a new town center thing there with Cold Stones Hamburger Hamlet Starbucks playless i think and much more. If i understood your post you said you wanted more kids in the near future well there is a cheerleading team locating in Neburary park called Elite Cheer All stars there are soccer teams tho i dont know any by name. Now T.O is much like Neburary just bigger and wide spread, there is T.O mall the Jansas Market place with lots of kool stores in it. Theres a chuckie e cheese if your boys still like that place theres Thousands Oaks boulavard with 100s of stores and that street takes you to westlake wheres there restuarants some stores the Westlake Promande and much more. Near by towns around T.O are Westlake Neburary Park, Oak Park (where i use to live) Agoura Hills, Simi Valley, Moorpark. im just warning most or all of the places are going to be in the higher price range

hope this helped you!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:48 PM

5 posts, read 61,320 times
Thank you all for responding. It really helps to get some insight from a person that lives/lived ut there. I'm hoping the prices keep dropping so we can purchase by sept. 08. Another question. What percentage of Latinos currently live in NP? My kids are worried about not "fitting in" there.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:16 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,955 times
~ 10% Iirc

Old 01-05-2008, 12:54 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desdc View Post
Thank you all for responding. It really helps to get some insight from a person that lives/lived ut there. I'm hoping the prices keep dropping so we can purchase by sept. 08. Another question. What percentage of Latinos currently live in NP? My kids are worried about not "fitting in" there.
I don't know any official numbers but there are quite a few Latinos. If you are Latino, you'll definitely fit in.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:58 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,071 times
Quote:
What percentage of Latinos currently live in NP?
I'm not sure about just NP, but Thousand Oaks is 13% Latino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County