Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 06:42 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,779,915 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I graduated college recently and I got 3 job interviews and 1 job offer. The job offer is making $12 an hour at Whole Foods nearby. I got one job interview up in San Leandro and that job would pay $13.63 an hour. And it's 3 and half hours from my where my mom lives. The 2 other interviews are in Ventura. One would be $10 an hour and the other $12 an hour. The 3 interviews are all starter jobs for my field. I had heard cost of living for a shared room in Ventura or Oxnard would be better than living in San Leandro or nearby city. Also Ventura is 2 hrs from where my parents live. I also have extended family nearby in Ventura.

I am partially hesitant to move to Ventura because of some bad memories of my past of things in my life I'd rather forget than happened in LA, but of me says it is time to let go of the past and embrace the future.

Also, the 2 jobs in Ventura are at homeless shelters.

Thanks for any input,

the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 11:04 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
it is time to let go of the past and embrace the future.
Good advice to yourself

And Ventura is not LA. Not even close.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:02 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,120,679 times
Go with whatever opportunity is going to promote your career the most.

Is $12 the going rate for what you're doing? I'm willing to pay more than that for jobs that require no college.

Living on $12/hour is pretty rough, if you can live with your parents at first I think that would be preferable to moving.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Go with whatever opportunity is going to promote your career the most.

Is $12 the going rate for what you're doing? I'm willing to pay more than that for jobs that require no college.

Living on $12/hour is pretty rough, if you can live with your parents at first I think that would be preferable to moving.
It is for little to no experience in my field. If I had more experience it would be $14 or $15 an hour.

I'd rather live it our rough for a while getting experience than stay with my unhealthy environment that is my parent's house.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:03 PM

Update, had my interviews and didn't get the jobs. I have a lack of experience and they said I need to volunteer more. So, I realized I have a lot of retail and customer service experience from working in college and high school, so I am looking at sales jobs and I feel my odds have just gotten better. I am waiting to hear back for some sales interviews.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:06 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,120,679 times
Lack of experience for a $12/hour job?

I'm not sure what you studied in school, but there are a lot of jobs that don't require any particular education and some of them have a lot of room to grow.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Lack of experience for a $12/hour job?

I'm not sure what you studied in school, but there are a lot of jobs that don't require any particular education and some of them have a lot of room to grow.
Sociology and the jobs (3 of them) were all homeless shelters. I think I may have applied to one non-homeless shelter job.

I sent out new applications right when I got home to sales companies in Ventura-Oxnard area. I am feeling like a dumby now because I turned down an insurance agent job in Santa Maria thinking I was done with sales and could find something in a social services. I guess part of the SM turn off was it was in SM and not in Arroyo Grande or San Luis Obispo.

and forgot to add they want me to fluent in spanish as well. and who knows how long it would take me to get there. if i want to go into social services its going to be a year or more learning spanish, a year more volunteering, or 2 to 3 more years getting a masters. at that point id be so burned out i wouldn't care.

getting a sales interview is so much easier and i will make more money right away.

Last edited by the city; 06-26-2014 at 01:36 AM..

Old 06-26-2014, 06:58 PM

8,223 posts, read 16,741,801 times
If you really like the field of sociology I highly recommend a masters and even better a PhD. Otherwise minimum scale jobs just won't cut it in CA at least along the coast. With a masters the doors really start to open. Unfortunately a bachelors in sociology is equivalent to little more than a high school diploma, especially without many hours of volunteer work. My cousin in a social worker who got her masters in the field and likes it. But it takes a lot of work to get into. Don't underestimate the value of graduate school to advance in any career unless you go into something like nursing, auto mechanics, real estate, etc... Sales can get old after a while and will 'always' sound better in the job posting telling of all kinds of great ways to earn big money quickly. Beware of 'too good to be true' easy money sales jobs. They are a dime a dozen.

Derek

Old 06-27-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
If you really like the field of sociology I highly recommend a masters and even better a PhD. Otherwise minimum scale jobs just won't cut it in CA at least along the coast. With a masters the doors really start to open. Unfortunately a bachelors in sociology is equivalent to little more than a high school diploma, especially without many hours of volunteer work. My cousin in a social worker who got her masters in the field and likes it. But it takes a lot of work to get into. Don't underestimate the value of graduate school to advance in any career unless you go into something like nursing, auto mechanics, real estate, etc... Sales can get old after a while and will 'always' sound better in the job posting telling of all kinds of great ways to earn big money quickly. Beware of 'too good to be true' easy money sales jobs. They are a dime a dozen.

Derek
I also just got offered a recruiting sales job today in my local area. I am keeping my options open as I have some interviews in Ventura County next week.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:25 PM

8,223 posts, read 16,741,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I also just got offered a recruiting sales job today in my local area. I am keeping my options open as I have some interviews in Ventura County next week.
I have another relative that does head hunting and is pretty good at it. Though he likes to refer to it as executive search work instead. He specializes in staffing medical executive positions.

If you land a job that can pay the bills better you could always volunteer part-time at homeless shelters, etc...

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County