Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 11:48 AM

5 posts, read 6,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWatts View Post
I'll give you my take here. As someone who wanted to buy in SB but couldn't afford it, I ended up buying in Ventura. Funny enough, while security isn't really a big concern to me I ended up purchasing in gated condo building, right near Ventura and Main.

Negatives: there are a lot of hobos. I say hobos specifically because there's a mix of homeless and folks who appear "homeless by choice". Truth is SB isn't much different in this regard but it's pretty concentrated right where I live. That said, I've never been hassled by anyone and it feels safe to me. Maybe my sketch detector is calibrated differently. I think you're on the right path looking at a place to rent and check it out first, but I love the place and could absolutely retire there full-time.

Im actually going to be visiting Ventura/Oxnard within the next month for a possible relocation. I'm not retiring (I wish!) so I will be looking for work as well as 'affordable' apts. I'm at least seeing opportunities there and some some-what affordable apts but I don't know the area at all to know if they're nice/safe areas. Im not looking for luxury or anything. any recommendations to check out or avoid in Ventura/Oxnard? I've done a bit of research but its hard to gauge areas online. I am a single, middle aged woman, no kids or anything. looking for fresh start in area with milder weather and more of the outdoor activities I like, like being by or at least somewhat near the water. Im coming from a small town in Pa so Im sure it will be a bit of a culture shock for me. I've been researching both areas for a bit, read a lot of nice things about Ventura but some conflicting things about Oxnard but thought Oxnard might be a bit more affordable. I was seeing apts in the 1300-1500 range, give or take. Thats actually not much more than what the apts. are going for in my area but at least there wont be the high heating and AC costs that we have here. Is it realistic to try and find something in that range in Ventura?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 12:50 PM

3,163 posts, read 2,716,416 times
Ready: You can probably find something decent in the 1300-1500 range. It's going to be an older apartment, and not a brand-new gated complex with pool and spa. Hunt around on Craigslist and schedule lots of visits to get a feel for the areas.

Our electric bill for 4ppl in a house a mile from the beach is ~$120/month for reference. It'll be more if you're inland and need A/C. Get something off the ground floor if you can, so you can leave windows open. When it's hot, it's a dry heat, and the evening breeze cools places off very quickly.

OXNARD:

Oxnard is fairly safe, but it does have worse areas than Ventura. Oxnard crime is a bit more violent than Ventura. Oxnard has more active gangs than Ventura. I don't know which areas to point out because I've never lived there. It's somewhat obvious when you drive through.

I've been all over Ventura and Oxnard. The OP seems to have her heart set on The Collection, which is a beautiful commercial complex surrounded by nice apartments and townhouses. The "Ventura" Whole Foods is in The Collection, along with every corporate store and eatery you could want. It's great fun to visit. Whoever made that master plan did a great job and also made a TON of money. The negatives, as mentioned, are that it is far from the beach and probably on the "low-end" of nice. The Collection is as nice as it's ever going to get. Expect it to stay at this level and slowly decline as the apartments age and infrastructure loses its shine. A lot of stuff was built to look nice, but not necessarily to last. Now, there's a chance that an additional commercial area will be built in the old Wagon Wheel area--directly across the 101 from The Collection. This would further elevate property values and the attractiveness of the area. I think it may just be apartments, though. Still, there's a nice older commercial strip across the 1 from that site, so the area is certainly not in rapid decline.

For older women looking to stay active and be near the beach, but who don't care about nightlife, I'd suggest the Channel Islands Marina area in Oxnard. Basically the area bordered by Victoria, Silver Strand Beach/The Navy Base, and Hollywood Beach/the Mandalay Topping Station Powerplant. Because the schools are quite bad, and because it is far from the 101 FWY, property values (and maybe rents) are reasonable. The marina itself is HUGE and you must buy a kayak or paddleboard so you can explore the waterways, otherwise you're missing out. On land, there are extensive bikeways and broad walkways connecting the entire area. Crime is low and lots of fancy events occur at the commercial areas integrated in the community. There are farmer's markets, boat tours out to the Channel Islands, great beaches, nice under-utilized parks, and some close-by options for eating out. I think this area is on the upswing as more people discover it and more high-end apartments and housing is built. I would try to buy in this area if you could, maybe waiting until the next housing market downturn.

The downside is a 10-15 minute drive up Victoria just to get to the 101 freeway and zero nightlife. Not much daytime life either. Just lots of quiet parks, beaches, and waterways to explore.

VENTURA:

Property crime in Ventura is high in general, with lots of vagrants stealing everything that's not nailed down to pawn for drugs and alcohol. Violent crime is very low, and what little there is is usually bums fighting bums. The worst areas are near the intersection of Victoria and the 101 (near the county jail, where inmates are released) and near the intersection of the 33 and the 101. The riverbottom there is known as the "Hobo Jungle." There's been an effort to clear out the river bed, and that's driven a lot of the bums into the surrounding neighborhoods. Though the crime rate in Ventura is only a little below the national average, it is actually quite safe, just not for your bicycle if you leave it unlocked in your front yard.

Far East Ventura around Kimball Park is nice, with some gated apartment/townhouse complexes and lower prices. Kimball Park is a GIGANTIC green space, and there are some other parks and bike paths that are nice. No nightlife at all. It's strip malls and boring, like Camarillo, and also far from the beach. It is warmer and sunnier that the rest of Ventura and can get hot. Easy access to the 126 and sort-of the 101.
Midtown is pleasant. It is rapidly gentrifying with almost nothing for sale below $500K. It is fairly dense, clearly ageing neighborhoods, with somewhat sparse parks and slightly wonky traffic flow. No gated communities here, but a few good old apartments. Close to the ocean. Close to hiking in the hills. No nightlife, but some daytime cafes. Generally cooler with more marine layer mornings and an early seabreeze to keep things cool. Easy access to the 101.

Downtown is the most fun, and the most expensive. Anything West of Cabrillo Middle School is an easy walk to the nice downtown commercial strip, the beach/boardwalk/surfing, or hiking in the hills. Also an Amtrak station and long-range bus stops for rides to SB or as far as Warner Center. There are plenty of gated condos and apartment complexes, mostly catering to artist types. It is cloudy the longest on marine layer days and the seabreeze starts up right about the time the sun comes out, so it's pleasantly cool almost every day. Nightlife on weekends. Daytime life everyday. Lots of festivals. Easy access to the 101 and the 33. Property values are in the stratosphere. It's rare anything even comes on the market, and when it does it's near $1M+. Rents are high too. As late as 2008, there were 1BR1BA on the edges of this area under $1000/month. Now most places are double that, and the nice ones even higher!
Pierpont is VRBO's and homeowners angry about the VRBOs. Almost nothing to rent and certainly nothing affordable. Close to the beach. Very nice parks and the marina. Lots and lots of theft.

The Avenue (N. Ventura Avenue) is right next to the hobo jungle. Loads of yummy taco stands and Mexican markets. Also plenty of bums stumbling around and somewhat sketchy after dark. Right on top of downtown, which is great. Nice sea breezes. The further inland you go, the fewer bums, but the further you are from fun stuff too. Awesome bike path to Ojai and the beach boardwalk. It is struggling to gentrify, but is dogged by the legacy of being the roughest part of what was once a rough oil town. This is the only place property values are somewhat reasonable. It's a good option if you don't mind a little extra security and you don't intend to walk alone in the dark a lot. I would count it quite a bit less dangerous than even the milder/moderate crime places in the SFV, like the Canoga Park area around Sherman Way.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Ready: You can probably find something decent in the 1300-1500 range. It's going to be an older apartment, and not a brand-new gated complex with pool and spa. Hunt around on Craigslist and schedule lots of visits to get a feel for the areas.

Our electric bill for 4ppl in a house a mile from the beach is ~$120/month for reference. It'll be more if you're inland and need A/C. Get something off the ground floor if you can, so you can leave windows open. When it's hot, it's a dry heat, and the evening breeze cools places off very quickly.

Thank you so much for all this info! Im bookmarking this page to take with me. The Channel Islands are interesting to me. I saw quite a few affordable apts in that area. I didnt realize it was far from HWY 101. I know that as the main road to everywhere (??) but I dont want to be too far from employment opportunities, maybe Ill luck out and be able to find work near by..who knows. I know I will want to check out just to explore the areas, it sounds so beautiful and serene, sounds like a great vacation spot. I'm not big on night life but i do like to catch a good band now and then and have some sort of social life. Im not a drinker so bars/nightclubs aren't important, just stuff to do and maybe socialize when the urge strikes.

Last edited by volosong; 10-12-2017 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: insert missing close quote hypertag

Old 10-11-2017, 02:45 PM

3,163 posts, read 2,716,416 times
This place is a paradise. I still can't believe we managed to settle down here. I think you're going to love it!

Old 10-11-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
This place is a paradise. I still can't believe we managed to settle down here. I think you're going to love it!
I think so too. I already have my visitor/relocation books for Ventura and Oxnard. so much stuff to do and the area looks so pretty. I already have a wish list of sites I'd like to see. Every time I get nervous and anxious about moving cross country I look at those pictures and the anxiety turns to excitement.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:04 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,069,944 times
Tip: People looking at the Riverpark development in Oxnard, keep in mind that is is built alongside a river, and is on a floodplain. I have seen that river rise to the bottom of the bridge that crosses into Vnetura, and that was pre-drought. And this past winter showed how very, very much it can rain. Include buying flood insurance even if you rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County