Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 02:14 PM

126 posts, read 219,261 times

Advertisements

This is interesting... the city of Oxnard will be submitting a package to Amazon tomorrow to be in the running of being selected as the home to Amazon's 2nd headquarters.

According to information leaked, Amazon is seeking a location that is 45 minutes to a major airport, 2 miles from a major freeway and in a region with 1 million people.

I know that many other cities have submitted packages, but what if, I mean a BIG what if Amazon actually does select Oxnard as their 2nd headquarters? I can see a lot of good and possibly a little bad from this.

The good:
  • More jobs (estimated 50,000 more)
  • Higher salaries
  • Other major companies (tech and non-tech) may consider Oxnard or Ventura county
  • Oxnard in general will more than likely improve the city in all areas due to Amazon's presence, even though I think that have already started
  • Increase in home prices/values (good for home owners)
The bad:
  • More traffic/congestion (estimated 50,000 more jobs means more people, more cars, etc)
  • Increase in home prices/values (bad for people who cannot afford the prices. It's expensive now, and will only get more expensive if Amazon comes to Oxnard).
  • Rent will increase (the demand for rentals will soar, which will only increase the market rate for rentals.)
  • An exodus out of Oxnard. People who aren't able to afford rentals/houses will have no choice but to move out of the area, or pack in with relatives or friends, hoping, waiting and praying for an increase in their income to afford to live on their own in Oxnard again.

These are just my thoughts on what life could be like if Amazon selects Oxnard. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 04:08 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Interesting! Do you have any links?

Old 10-18-2017, 06:19 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwhite75 View Post
According to information leaked, Amazon is seeking a location that is 45 minutes to a major airport, 2 miles from a major freeway and in a region with 1 million people.
Well, except for having the freeway proximity, Oxnard is not 45 minutes to a major airport (LAX), and the "region" or (if that is the) entire county of Ventura has only 850K population
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...a,CA/PST045216

Old 10-19-2017, 11:30 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
The rumor is that Austin, TX, is highest on the list.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:03 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
I don't think Oxnard/Ventura is, or should be, in the running.

A Google/Alphabet branch campus may come to the area, and that would be better for all involved. Our area has so much beauty and natural resources, plus pretty purple/neutral local politics that a small Google branch campus would fit right in. All the positives with few of the negatives. We can probably absorb <10,000 new tech jobs without fundamentally changing the character of Ventura, but an Amazon HQ would dominate the local business scene even more than AmGen already does.

The new Amazon HQ should go to an attractive medium or large city like Chicago, Portland, Boston, or San Diego. We don't have anywhere near 50K trained un/underemployed high-tech workers here, and there's literally nowhere to house even a fraction of that many new people.

Honestly, our area is doing well without any of this. Oxnard/Hueneme has a few affordable/bad pockets left, but Ventura, Camarillo, and other cities in Ventura county are already gentrified to the hilt, unemployment is low, and worker's skills are high/moderate.

Everybody already wants to live here, so I can see why the area is attractive to high-tech companies compared to places like Austin. I know it's hard to get highly-skilled people to agree to work in crummy, backward, places, but the nice places won't stay nice for everyone if we transform them into another Silicon Valley. I'd hate to see us lose a large fraction of our Strawberry, Lemon, or Raspberry fields to an Amazon campus and the supporting sprawl. I'd like to think that such a huge project would go vertical, but I think that economic forces will drive expansion into the farmland rather than high-rise housing, despite the efforts of our local conservationists. Then we'd have to pay more for safe local produce, or consume more imported stuff raised with unregulated carcenogenic chemicals. Not to mention congestion and just a shift in character from a charming farm/beach town to a buzzing silicon coastline.

So yes to small tech, which is constantly moving in, anyway. Yes/maybe to a medium-sized big-name tech or design company, and thanks but no thanks to a gigantic HQ.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:05 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Don't see it happening. Amazon would do well to go to a place that can truly benefit, like Detroit or some other city in the post-manufacturing rustbelt.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:56 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
The rumor is that Austin, TX, is highest on the list.
When I read the 'requirements' when they were first released, my first thought was Austin or Boston.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:10 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I would see it in a middle of the nation place, or more central located place. They are in Seattle. Building a place in Oxnard makes little sense. Would be better to place it in Texas or some Georgia. Low cost places would be a better fit and more centralized within the nation.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:47 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwhite75 View Post
This is interesting... the city of Oxnard will be submitting a package to Amazon tomorrow to be in the running of being selected as the home to Amazon's 2nd headquarters.

I know that many other cities have submitted packages, but what if, I mean a BIG what if Amazon actually does select Oxnard as their 2nd headquarters? I can see a lot of good and possibly a little bad from this.

The good:
  • More jobs (estimated 50,000 more)
  • Higher salaries
  • Other major companies (tech and non-tech) may consider Oxnard or Ventura county
  • Oxnard in general will more than likely improve the city in all areas due to Amazon's presence, even though I think that have already started
  • Increase in home prices/values (good for home owners)
The bad:
  • More traffic/congestion (estimated 50,000 more jobs means more people, more cars, etc)
  • Increase in home prices/values (bad for people who cannot afford the prices. It's expensive now, and will only get more expensive if Amazon comes to Oxnard).
  • Rent will increase (the demand for rentals will soar, which will only increase the market rate for rentals.)
  • An exodus out of Oxnard. People who aren't able to afford rentals/houses will have no choice but to move out of the area, or pack in with relatives or friends, hoping, waiting and praying for an increase in their income to afford to live on their own in Oxnard again.

These are just my thoughts on what life could be like if Amazon selects Oxnard. What are your thoughts?
It is maybe 50,000 jobs over a 10 to 15 year period.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:42 AM

38 posts, read 26,234 times
I hope not . That area does not need any more congestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County