Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2018, 01:12 PM

16,287 posts, read 32,459,636 times

Advertisements

On the one hand it is your home. On the other, they do live in an HOA that does not want short term rentals.

https://www.vcstar.com/story/news/lo...icy/464524002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 10:45 AM

3,176 posts, read 2,744,748 times
I disagree with the CCC's idea that banning STVR's on the coast is a "development." On the other hand, I appreciate the CCC fighting to maintain the CA coast's accessibility to all. There are very few areas where residents have managed to make their beach "private."

Pierpont in Ventura has a legitimate complaint about STVR's ruining the residential atmosphere of the neighborhood. The local school is under-enrolled, there are loud parties, trash, and higher crime due to the houses being converted into STVR's and pumped for cash. Basically it's a neighborhood that's being turned into a hotel/hostel strip.

So, on one hand, you have the CCC protecting the public from being barred beach access by overpriviliged unfriendly locals--like in Malibu. On the other hand, you've got it forcing coastal communities to let greedy absentee landowners and developers turn neighborhoods into commercial beach party zones.

I think the CCC is in the wrong in forcing STVR's to be allowed near the beach. When I lived inland, I couldn't afford to rent a beach house, yet I still had access to the beach through the CCC's public easement requirements. That's what the CCC should focus on; preventing exclusionary parking and access rights, so inland-dwellers can still go have a day at the beach. Right now, this ruling is basically favoring greedy people wrecking the coast so they can make it even more expensive to live near the water. The CCC should focus on letting people get to the water/beaches, not making sure they can rent (or rent out) a party house on the beach.

If we keep going in this direction, eventually the entire SoCal coast will be like the Florida Coast; just a huge wall of hotels.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:07 PM

Funny you should bring this up. I always think of the beaches as ours, as in the people that live in the area. I don't live at the Shores or any other beach. I did grow up in the area and as a life long resident always remember the beaches as accessible to all. Plenty of friends did grow up at the Shores, Hollywood Beach, Silverstrand, and even over in Port Hueneme at one of the Surfside condo associations.

The Coastal Commission is supposed to allow access to the beach. I know homeowners in many communities, Malibu being one, that hates that.

I did not think this was about hotels though. From what I am seeing it is about private individuals renting out a room or a part of their home, or even the entire home for a vacationing family or friends that may be on vacation. Right now, in town I can rent a room out to someone for a day or week. I could rent a room short term and no one would care.

If I owned at the Shores the HOA would not allow it.

Funny thing is, I did not even know that they had an HOA at the beach. Must have been the same people that tried changing the name from Oxnard Shores to Mandalay Shores. Such an outcry that the city had to change those signs to Mandalay Shores, an Oxnard Shores community. LOL

Old 04-10-2018, 04:33 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,603,659 times
Not that this has anything really to do with the main post.. my daughter and a couple friends were trying to rent a house near Hollywood Beach. The landlord would only give them a 6 month lease. They would have to move out before Memorial Day. The landlord rents it out all summer to short term renters (probably Airbnb or something). He said they could move back in mid-September. I am sure summers are very lucrative for these homeowners. The girls did not rent the house!

Old 04-11-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
Not that this has anything really to do with the main post.. my daughter and a couple friends were trying to rent a house near Hollywood Beach. The landlord would only give them a 6 month lease. They would have to move out before Memorial Day. The landlord rents it out all summer to short term renters (probably Airbnb or something). He said they could move back in mid-September. I am sure summers are very lucrative for these homeowners. The girls did not rent the house!
We have friends that will rent for a week on the beach each year. During the summer the rental can go for as much in a week as its rents for a month during the off season.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:51 AM

3,176 posts, read 2,744,748 times
It's probably impossible to disincentiveize under-the-table STVR's enough to make people not do it, but the CCC usually (and should) come down on the side of the little guy.

Here, by requiring that neighbors accept developers, landlords, flippers, and investors come in and turn their residential community into a defacto commercial hotel strip, the CCC is basically forcing beach communities to sell out to developer's interests.

I agree with beach access for all, but not with the idea that fewer people should live on the beach and more people should vacation there. I don't think that's good for anyone. If the STVR income stream is protected by law, then pretty much everyone is going to be forced to turn their houses into STVR's. I don't think that's really better for the majority of beach-goers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County