Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 06:18 PM

10 posts, read 10,923 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Ojai area for my partner's job. We looked at houses and didn't find much we were interested in occupying that happened to be in our price range (700,000 ish).

Then we noticed some nice little plots of land for sale, and started to wonder if it would be possible to build? That sounded promising because we can't rent. We own small elderly dogs, I can't see anyone renting to us no matter how well the dogs are cared for. We have a nice sized Class A RV, so we thought perhaps we could stay in that until our house is completed but not sure if it is legal? It would be nice to be able to put all of our money into building a nice house without having to worry about where to live.

Thanks for any info or knowledgeable perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 09:26 AM

10 posts, read 10,923 times
Being somewhat new to this forum, I have no idea how to delete the above post, so I will just add this update, seeing as how I could not find the answer to this question on the city's website.

I called city hall, and they told me that because it is not addressed in the zoning and planning ordinances, it is not allowed.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:45 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
You may also find out soon how difficult it is to build in Ojai (and Ventura County generally). Expect it would take 3 years. The line for permits is long, with all the people filing rebuild permits after the Thomas Fire. If you are new to VC, you are already discovering that $700k doesn't buy much anymore, and you may have to accept an older, smaller house. Oh, and research if fire insurance is available, as many insurance companies are no longer issuing coverage in fire zones (Ojai was almost destroyed in the Thomas Fire).

Old 01-16-2019, 08:29 PM

987 posts, read 779,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichonandon View Post
We are moving to the Ojai area for my partner's job. We looked at houses and didn't find much we were interested in occupying that happened to be in our price range (700,000 ish).

Then we noticed some nice little plots of land for sale, and started to wonder if it would be possible to build? That sounded promising because we can't rent. We own small elderly dogs, I can't see anyone renting to us no matter how well the dogs are cared for. We have a nice sized Class A RV, so we thought perhaps we could stay in that until our house is completed but not sure if it is legal? It would be nice to be able to put all of our money into building a nice house without having to worry about where to live.

Thanks for any info or knowledgeable perspective.
I am a CA native, If you own the property, you can park an RV on it when building. I would seriously look into buying a manufactured home to reduce the costs of building in CA in a prime location.
A family member lost his home to the Thomas Fire and is going to put a Manufactured home there to replace the one lost in the Thomas Fire on 2 acres of land and he placed his 5th wheel on the property while rebuilding.

The good news is the burn scar will help to prevent new wildfires for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
View detailed profiles of: