Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 09:15 AM

10 posts, read 19,846 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I've taken a job in Calabasas and we need to figure out where to live! We have spent most of our lives living in the Southeast US, and currently living in Florida, so needless to say there is major culture and price shock. We have a realtor, but are looking for some real unbiased feedback. And for those that say "don't do it!", too late, we're committed, and the pay is more than enough. So...

We are trying to stay under $1m, max 30 minute commute, and schools and safety are important as we have 2 small children. From perusing real estate websites, we are focusing on Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills, Newbury Park and the southeast area of Simi. We've ruled out Camarillo as it's too far, and Calabasas is too expensive. Here are our thoughts on each area, if anyone has feedback to share?

Agoura Hills / Thousand Oaks / Westlake Village - great schools, shopping & commute, but prices are insane at $400-$500/sf and I feel like I've take a 50-year step back in time and am struggling to embrace the 70's and 80's era houses. Many of the homes are at least partially updated, but omg I can't get past the exterior look, and I hate the old closed-off layouts. I cannot pay $1m for something I can't stand to look at when I pull in the driveway. We are not in a position to do any major remodels.

Newbury Park - seems decent, with the multitude of tract homes, they are newer and generally more our taste. Schools are pretty good, and commute is manageable.

Semi Valley / Wood Ranch - this is actually our favorite area. We are not as crazy about Simi as a whole - we drove through once before and it seemed tired (maybe we didn't go to the right areas), and most of it is too far of a commute. However Wood Ranch and the area near the Reagan Library stood out. With kids, the master planned community is appealing to us - lots of green space, decent school within the neighborhood, bigger yards, and the houses are newer. My only concern here is there are suddenly a TON of houses for sale. Many seem to be selling, so our realtor told us it's not a concern, but the number for sale seems way out of the ordinary. We did some research and saw that the golf course sold in December 2018, but is still operational. Not sure if that is a factor and people are scared it will close? We've unfortunately seen a lot of that in Florida, and the community home prices plummet.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 11:00 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Sorry, but if you don't like the exterior look of houses in AH, TO, WV, SV or NP, you're out of luck; not only are the exterior colors of houses legally regulated to "earth tones," but so are the architectural styles---all for community conformity. And there is almost zero new housing built or planned, because these cities have met their density goals, for which one should be grateful, frankly. Why not just buy in at $800k, and spend your spare $200k on interior remodeling?

Schools in Simi and Newbury Park are good, but they are not on the level of AH, TO or WV.

And you do you want to buy into an HOA (Wood Ranch, Dos Vientos, etc.)? They really limit any remodeling, if any of it shows on the outside. I am not in an HMO, and it took a neighbor 20 months to get the code clearance for some exterior changes, and another 3 months to start construction.

And you had better price out fire insurance on any property you are interested in. When the recent Hill and Woolsey Fires were here a few months ago, Wood Ranch was at one point surrounded by fires, as was TO. A few years before that, Dos Vientos in NP was similarly surrounded. I have already been visited last month by my insurer to inspect my house and yard for susceptibility to fire, and he took photos; I expect a big hike in rates. Wood Ranch should expect the same, as they are encircled by flammable brush-filled hills.

Oh, and don't forget to look in Oak Park (although that was ground zero for the Woolsey Fire).

Old 04-02-2019, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the feedback! We are looking at Oak Park also, I forgot to mention that. Pretty much all around TO is in range. =)

I don't mind earth tones, just the general architectural styles of the 70's and 80's. Ugh!! If I had the time or patience for a remodel, I would, but we've been there done that twice and both were HELL, and we didn't even have kids at that time.

The fires might explain the many for-sales in Wood Ranch. I didn't think of that. I don't mind HOAs. We've had them many times and while they are restricting in some respects, they also help keep the neighborhood looking good.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:39 AM

Also consider that AH has the fastest beach access over Kanan Rd; the fastest commute to Calabasas and the rest of LA; and that it is in Los Angeles County (your other choices aren't), which has some advantages, such as being able to sign on to Alert LA County, which notifies you in case of disaster, fire or earthquake. The fact that Ventura County lacks this was very evident recently. BTW, get the emergency equipment assemblage for your cars and house going as soon as you move! I have four 30-gallon water barrels and all kinds of other stuff. Article today:

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...402-story.html

Old 04-02-2019, 11:45 AM

One more thing: Did you look into Box Canyon? It is unincorporated, so there is a real assortment of architectural styles---no tract houses. The half of it that is in Ventura County gets Simi schools. There is also the similar Santa Susana Knolls area of Simi. Both are so close to Calabasas that you can take streets there instead of the dreaded freeway.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:28 PM

Oh, no, I've not heard of that area. I'll check it out! Thanks so much!

Old 04-02-2019, 12:36 PM

Another thing: ADU's, or accessory dwelling units. There is a big push in CA to have people add these to their houses in their backyards, and they are a potential source of income, or for family members (in-laws, parents) to live in. Allowable size may be mandated soon by the new Governor, but for now, cities still get to limit their size. In the City of Los Angeles, for example, they can be 1,200 sf; in Simi, the same; but in AH, only 750, and in TO only 600.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:58 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,857,559 times
Try to live west of the Reyes Adobe exit unless you enjoy brutally hot summers. Live east of the 23 to 101 interchange if you want your commute to be enjoyable. You're not going to want to raise your family in Box Canyon and I disagree that its a better commute to Calabasas than from Westlake Village. Freeway access is a quality of life indicator here. Pay attention to the elementary school you will live in. If you care about how cool/big/new your house looks, more than a great place to live in and raise your kids in... then ignore my advice.

Oh and the traffic from Wood Ranch to the 23... you aren't going to enjoy that. Yes the fire affected the part of Wood Ranch called Long Canyon. Its a nice area though, yet isolated. Check out Lang Ranch too.

Last edited by DKM; 04-02-2019 at 07:13 PM..

Old 04-03-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Check out Lang Ranch too.
DKM, you do realize that there is no named neighborhood or tract that OP could find on a map called "Lang Ranch", right? Are you referring to Verdigris?

Old 04-03-2019, 12:31 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,857,559 times
Lang Ranch as defined by the school boundaries for Lang Ranch Elementary. That's exactly what comes up if you type "Lang Ranch" into Redfin.

https://www.redfin.com/school/132509...aks/Lang-Ranch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County