Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 05:12 PM

699 posts, read 1,345,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is that a Mello Roos? I had that in Lang Ranch in Thousand Oaks. It showed up on the tax bill. I deducted it.
1) Property tax isn't deductible for those subject to AMT. More and more folks fall into that camp (and will continue to do so as the AMT limits aren't indexed to inflation )
2) Mello Roos are only deductible is the CFD assessment is for infrastructure. Some Mello-Roos/CFD assessments are for maintenance and those are off limits from a deduction perspective.

I don't miss my Mello-Roos from LA County but understand the value of having shiny new infrastructure around shiny new stucco boxes. Still... it adds up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banky1985 View Post
What was the local tax burden rate for National city for the year 2003 to 2005
National City is not in Ventura County. I don't even know where National City is.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:19 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,081,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
National City is not in Ventura County. I don't even know where National City is.
San Diego.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:36 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,148,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I am pretty sure I was able to petition Harold S. Pittman, Tax Collector (I still remember his name....it's another guy now...) to lower my assessed value. I purchase a 4BR, 2BA home in Moorpark for $185K in 1988 (closed escrow on the day the Dodgers won the World Series...funny the things you remember...). The market value ramped up to something like $230K then down to the $170Ks. I petitioned and had my property lowered to reflect the $170Ks value.

Something to look into.
You wouldn't have petitioned ol' Harold, he was just the collector, you petition the assessor to get your assessed value.

Harold was replaced by Larry Matheny. I talked to him a few times on the phone. I very much appreciate being able to talk to the top guy when I have questions. Well, one time it was just a clerical error on a property I just purchased (they had the name wrong). I just sent an email to the county and Larry called me apologizing for the problem and assurances it will be fixed.

Now, FINALLY, you no longer make the checks out to the tax collector's name. Just a generic "Ventura County Tax Collector" or something similar (I forget).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County