Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:01 PM

168 posts, read 549,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Here we go again with the fear mongering about Oxnard. Don't believe it. Please see the thread "oxnard, ca" to get the real deal on that town. If you move to Camarillo, you'll likely find yourself shopping and doing lots of things in Oxnard -- without the feeling that “something bad will happen.” It won’t.

Camarillo is an ok town, suburban, bedroom feel for the most part, with a quaint downtown. You'll find pricy upscale areas in the hills, and grittier lower-income areas near the center of town. It's far enough from the beach to not get bogged down in coastal fog as much as Oxnard or Ventura, but still close enough to the coast for mild temps most of the year. The new university, Cal State Channel Islands, is in Camarillo. Like all Ventura County cities, the town is growing and housing can be expensive.

Camarillo's convenient train station is served by Metrolink commuter rail service to downtown L.A., so if you need to work there, or anywhere along the rail line (Moorpark, Simi or San Fernando Valley), it’s not so bad, www.metrolinktrains.com. Express commuter busses connect Camarillo with Warner Center, www.goventura.org.
can you link this "oxnard ca" thread ? I was not able to find it

Last edited by 24hr7; 11-24-2009 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 07:16 PM

687 posts, read 1,121,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West5 View Post
Smoggy? Smalltown feel? Strong community? etc?
Camarillo is not smoggy nor is any other part situated as close to the ocean as Camarillo or Thousand Oaks. It very definitely has a small town feel even though it has it's own discount stores and Costco. Lot's of bugs in the summer and since it is near agricultural areas, it can get very dirty and dusty when the wind blows. Schools are sub par though. I like Thousand Oaks better.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:39 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,085,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr7 View Post
can you link this "oxnard ca" thread ? I was not able to find it
https://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...oxnard-ca.html

Though that thread is old and some of the posts reflective of attitudes at the time. Oxnard has changed a lot for the better, even since then.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:55 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,150,428 times
Camarillo is a nice town, very residential with great weather. If you are working there, a commute from anywhere in Ventura County is a breeze.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:20 AM

296 posts, read 803,486 times
I went to Camarillo High and it was a good school. You need to be careful where in Camarillo you live if you have high school aged children because some of the kids in Camarillo when to high school in El Rio - but that was a long time ago and things may have changed.

I would say that Camarillo is a family oriented community, probably not much going on for singles.

There wasn't a train station when I lived there so that would certainly be a plus if working in downtown LA.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:36 AM

687 posts, read 1,121,050 times
Camarillo is usually just a town that I pass through on the way to somewhere more interesting. Public schools are not good now. Parents have enrolled their middle school and high school kids in religious private schools instead, not that they are much of an improvement based on what acquaintances have told me. A little to remote for my taste. Of course it depends on where you think you would spend most of your free time. Do you want to be stuck in traffic to get out of Camarillo in your free time or would you be staying close to home most of the time. If Oxnard, Ventura and points up north would be your usual destinations and schools aren't of a concern than Camarillo might work.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:11 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,375,073 times
My son attends Rio Mesa High School, although we live in Oxnard. Out of all the High Schools in the Oxnard Union High School District which includes Camarillo High School, Rio Mesa has the fewest students, is the only high school in the district with its own College Scholarship fund, and has the newest acquatic facility. My son is a Senior there and has had a good high school career so far. Many students that could afford to attend private schools attend Rio Mesa.

My wifes neice attends middle school in Camarillo and loves her school. I know that the Pleasant Valley School District has had its challenges but they still offer a good product.

Camarillo is a beautifull community. It is family oriented. If you have the chance to live there go for it. People comment on the Barry Street area as being bad. We have relatives that live on Barry and I don't see it as being all that bad. The hospital I work for has a Clinic near Barry and they have never seen any problems from the residents.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:56 AM

299 posts, read 1,153,881 times
Default What are your opinions of Camarillo, CA

I lived in Camarillo from 1981 - 1986, had one son that went to Rio Mesa and played football. I believe the head coach at the time was Mr. Riordan. My other two other sons went to Camarillo and also played football. Actually my eldest was listed on the game program as starting for both Camarillo and Rio Mesa. However, we had fought for him to be able to stay at and play for Rio Mesa even though we had moved into the Camarillo High area, believe that was 1983 or '84.

During that time I found both of the schools to be very good and have heard they still are but that Rio Mesa has improved by leaps and bounds. Hope to attend both of their football games when we move back there.

Like SOON2BNSURPRISE we found Camarillo to be beautiful and a peaceful, not totally crime free, place to live. Back then Barry Street was a 'Bad Place' but like Rio Mesa have heard it has improved for the better.

Can't wait to live there again.

jOE
Angeles City
Philippines

Old 12-01-2009, 04:47 PM

12 posts, read 33,296 times
Camarillo has a unique climate - tends to be fairly cool in the summer with a strong marine layer. If you like hot days you might want to move more inland - or over the hill to Thousand Oaks. I like Camarillo - if you are single you are going to be odd person out - this is a family oriented town - I would imagine the night life shuts down about 9:30 Great location for hiking, beach and heading north up the 1 or 101 for wonderful coastal drives.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:50 AM

299 posts, read 1,153,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneB123 View Post
Camarillo has a unique climate - tends to be fairly cool in the summer with a strong marine layer. If you like hot days you might want to move more inland - or over the hill to Thousand Oaks. I like Camarillo - if you are single you are going to be odd person out - this is a family oriented town - I would imagine the night life shuts down about 9:30 Great location for hiking, beach and heading north up the 1 or 101 for wonderful coastal drives.
Our plans have changed a bit, sending both of our kids for two more years of college so they can get a PharmD and that requires a additional 2 years. Hopefully they will pass the Licensure test for Pharmacists and get some good jobs.

I/we are not a 'night life' family, the kids hit it a bit not that much. We are into doing family things and truly looking forward to moving there. Time is not passing fast enough for us. Being a military retiree my wife and I will be using the facilities at both of the bases there in VC.

Sorry didn't want to ramble but did want to revive the thread.

jOE
Angeles City
Philippines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County