Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 02:39 PM

444 posts, read 789,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
since you are retired do you have the option to just go spend some time in burlington?

i hear that ithaca is similar to burlington. i have been to ithaca and northampton but not burlington- ironically never had the desire to go there having been to ithaca and northampton.
I've thought about Ithaca but am not that interested as of yet. It has the right demographics, but it's in a relatively flat area, and it has a large university for a small town. I like college towns, but when a college overwhelms a town I find it annoying. For one thing, there are students all over the place, and I don't want to relive my college experience. And students tend to attract slum landlords, crummy restaurants and junky shops. There is a medium-sized college here in Evanston, and I don't think it adds much. But this is a fairly large town right next to Chicago, so Northwestern isn't that noticeable unless you live near the campus or are trying to get around during a football game. A better comparison might be Bloomington, IN, where you have a huge university in a small rural town. I lived there for a while and didn't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 03:44 PM

26,439 posts, read 46,696,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
I've thought about Ithaca but am not that interested as of yet. It has the right demographics, but it's in a relatively flat area, and it has a large university for a small town. I like college towns, but when a college overwhelms a town I find it annoying. For one thing, there are students all over the place, and I don't want to relive my college experience. And students tend to attract slum landlords, crummy restaurants and junky shops. There is a medium-sized college here in Evanston, and I don't think it adds much. But this is a fairly large town right next to Chicago, so Northwestern isn't that noticeable unless you live near the campus or are trying to get around during a football game. A better comparison might be Bloomington, IN, where you have a huge university in a small rural town. I lived there for a while and didn't like it.

If you haven't eliminated NH, I would suggest Portsmouth, Concord, or Keene.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
If you haven't eliminated NH, I would suggest Portsmouth, Concord, or Keene.
I'm not settled on New Hampshire yet. Hanover is supposed to be good, but it's expensive - and potentially snobby? I looked briefly at Keene, but is it really a college town? And as others have said on other threads, southern New Hampshire has a lot of commuters. I've lived in suburbs for the last 13 years and grew up in American suburbs for another 11 years and would prefer to live farther out. Basically, because of higher urban incomes, everything is expensive in suburbs, and there is no convincing sense of community. Also, southern New Hampshire seems to be more Republican, with so-called refugees from "The People's Republic of...."

Old 11-27-2010, 04:41 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,281,851 times
To me, VT & NH have totally different vibes. I can't really explain it as it may just be my perception. IMO, if you want a "VT vibe" in NH I'd suggest Peterborough or Portsmouth.
Burlington and the surrounding area are great. You can live 10 miles outside of Burlington but have plenty of privacy. Try towns like Charlotte, Shelburne & Hinesburg to the South of Burlington and Jericho, Underhill and Richmond to the north and west. Further afield (20-30ish miles) Starksboro, Monkton, Ferrisburgh and Bristol are nice (south in Addison County) or Fairfax and Westford to the north of Burlington. All are close enough to enjoy the city on a daily basis should you choose to but far enough away that you have privacy.
The Middlebury area is also very nice...about an hour south of Burlington and 45 minutes north of Rutland. Its home to Middlebury College....but the college doesn't seem to dominate the town. Its a really nice balance actually.
If you can, come spend some time touring the state and see what you like.
OH..and Ithaca-it's not THAT flat. Certainly no mountains like VT...but lots of rolling hills and lakes. I think it's pretty there.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:01 PM

26,439 posts, read 46,696,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
I'm not settled on New Hampshire yet. Hanover is supposed to be good, but it's expensive - and potentially snobby? I looked briefly at Keene, but is it really a college town? And as others have said on other threads, southern New Hampshire has a lot of commuters. I've lived in suburbs for the last 13 years and grew up in American suburbs for another 11 years and would prefer to live farther out. Basically, because of higher urban incomes, everything is expensive in suburbs, and there is no convincing sense of community. Also, southern New Hampshire seems to be more Republican, with so-called refugees from "The People's Republic of...."
Yes, Dartmouth College is located in Hanover. It is extremely expensive to live there, primarily housing costs.

Neither Portsmouth, Concord, or Keene are suburban at all. They are all mostly stand alone cities with only a bit of development amongst the outskirts. Keene is a bit more of a "college town," compared to the other two. Demographics in Concord and Portsmouth are somewhat similar. Portsmouth likely has the highest income. Educational attainment levels in all three cities are similar. NH has a higher cost of living (mainly housing), but among the lowest tax burdens of any state.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:16 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,539,073 times
I really think you should look at Western MA...or else you may find yourself picketed by the New Green Mountain Boys day and night if you got active politically...with few exceptions real "liberal" types who want big government, etc., aren't heavily welcome in NH...

Old 11-27-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I really think you should look at Western MA...or else you may find yourself picketed by the New Green Mountain Boys day and night if you got active politically...with few exceptions real "liberal" types who want big government, etc., aren't heavily welcome in NH...
As I said earlier, I'm not that political. But New Hampshire has developed somewhat of an anti-liberal reputation in the last few years, which I don't find appealing. Maybe I could come heavily armed to New Hampshire or the NEK and have a shootout with the New Green Mountain Boys if they violate my rights. I do own a SIG Sauer pistol (from Exeter). Live free or die!

Old 11-27-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
To me, VT & NH have totally different vibes. I can't really explain it as it may just be my perception. IMO, if you want a "VT vibe" in NH I'd suggest Peterborough or Portsmouth.
Burlington and the surrounding area are great. You can live 10 miles outside of Burlington but have plenty of privacy. Try towns like Charlotte, Shelburne & Hinesburg to the South of Burlington and Jericho, Underhill and Richmond to the north and west. Further afield (20-30ish miles) Starksboro, Monkton, Ferrisburgh and Bristol are nice (south in Addison County) or Fairfax and Westford to the north of Burlington. All are close enough to enjoy the city on a daily basis should you choose to but far enough away that you have privacy.
The Middlebury area is also very nice...about an hour south of Burlington and 45 minutes north of Rutland. Its home to Middlebury College....but the college doesn't seem to dominate the town. Its a really nice balance actually.
If you can, come spend some time touring the state and see what you like.
OH..and Ithaca-it's not THAT flat. Certainly no mountains like VT...but lots of rolling hills and lakes. I think it's pretty there.
Thanks for the tips. Perhaps I can form a liberal militia around Burlington or Middlebury to fend off the New Green Mountain Boys.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, Dartmouth College is located in Hanover. It is extremely expensive to live there, primarily housing costs.

Neither Portsmouth, Concord, or Keene are suburban at all. They are all mostly stand alone cities with only a bit of development amongst the outskirts. Keene is a bit more of a "college town," compared to the other two. Demographics in Concord and Portsmouth are somewhat similar. Portsmouth likely has the highest income. Educational attainment levels in all three cities are similar. NH has a higher cost of living (mainly housing), but among the lowest tax burdens of any state.
I haven't given up on New Hampshire yet. But it sounds as if the ammunition costs for liberals could be high.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:32 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,834,919 times
Based on your preferences I would say Middlbury might be a place you should check out. For a small town it has alot of cultural things going on plus Burlington is only a 45 minute drive up the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont