Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:37 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,237,911 times

Advertisements

Knowing the penalties can be extremely severe should you find yourself in a compromising position as it relates to being near a firearm (girlfriend buys one, son grows up and buys one, whatever) you just can't take that chance.

Pepper Spray and a legal folding knife honed to a razor sharp edge. Perhaps a SAP or Kubotan as an alternate. I don't think there would be any issue here? People who now otherwise weigh-in on this.

While not perfect, Pepper Spray is probably better for MOST folks (not all) than say, stun guns/stun batons as you don't have to get that close to use them. The knife is a backup if the spray is flat or out....

While not a perfect solution, it is way better than having nothing. You would/should train your girlfriend in the safe handling, storage and use of one. Believe it or not, she should shoot one a few times just to get used to the stream/fog/foam...whatever type you choose.

Together they are more than formidable and at least better than nothing....having a baseball bat, or two laying around the house is perfectly legal (have a glove and ball just in case!!) and who amongst us wants to get hit by THAT???? Snap batons would work and store a bit more easily.

Not owning a gun is not the end of the world although I sure wish you could as it's a better option but, what are you going to do? The aforementioned options offer you something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 04:27 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,532,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarCii View Post
Why is it unconstitutional? The law sets minimum ages for anything that could be dangerous or threaten the lives of others, i.e. sale and consumption of alcohol, operation of motor vehicles, even voting. Why should guns be different?
And that's irrelevant anyway...the law as it is now, or as it was when the act was committed, is what's important. He broke the existing law. He was prosecuted and convicted.
Because people age 18 through 20 have all other rights under the Constitution incl voting, free speech, etc., and the Second Amendment does not say it does not apply to people under 21. Why should someone under 21 be prevented from exercising their rights? It's unconstitutional, period. Vermont has always allowed anyone 16 or over to own or carry a firearm without parental consent.

Drinking as well as driving are privileges not rights and there is no comparison. And as one of our early SCOTUS Chief Justices pointed out, an unconstitutional law is no law at all.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Knowing the penalties can be extremely severe should you find yourself in a compromising position as it relates to being near a firearm (girlfriend buys one, son grows up and buys one, whatever) you just can't take that chance.

Pepper Spray and a legal folding knife honed to a razor sharp edge. Perhaps a SAP or Kubotan as an alternate. I don't think there would be any issue here? People who now otherwise weigh-in on this.

While not perfect, Pepper Spray is probably better for MOST folks (not all) than say, stun guns/stun batons as you don't have to get that close to use them. The knife is a backup if the spray is flat or out....

While not a perfect solution, it is way better than having nothing. You would/should train your girlfriend in the safe handling, storage and use of one. Believe it or not, she should shoot one a few times just to get used to the stream/fog/foam...whatever type you choose.

Together they are more than formidable and at least better than nothing....having a baseball bat, or two laying around the house is perfectly legal (have a glove and ball just in case!!) and who amongst us wants to get hit by THAT???? Snap batons would work and store a bit more easily.

Not owning a gun is not the end of the world although I sure wish you could as it's a better option but, what are you going to do? The aforementioned options offer you something.
He can have a gun, just not a modern firearm. A Colt Walker (equal or maybe better than a .357 magnum), or a Lemat pistol (9 shots plus a shotgun barrel), even a Colt Navy or a Remington 1858 (easy change of pre-loaded cylinders with the remington) or just a double barrel muzzleloading shotgun, would be as effective as any modern arm in most self defense situations. He should not go outside of Vermont armed with these weapons though, not all other states allow it.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:54 PM

30 posts, read 103,907 times
I'm not restricted, but I've a few Remington 1858 repros (Pietta) that I'd use defensively if I had to. Cabela's has them on sale actually, and they're legal to ship right to your door. Don't think powder/caps are restricted, though you'd probably have to find them locally (or get to a cabela's which usually has a good supply of BP stuff).

Are you sure your girlfriend isn't allowed to possess firearms? That doesn't seem right to me at all. I recall G. Gordon Liddy once saying that his wife owns the guns in his house, and I could swear he said he'd used one to detain an escaped convict at one time (it was a while ago).

Anyway, if you go the BP route, be sure to read-up on them in the gun forums so you can store them safely. Especially if you've kids around.

I've also got an 1895 Mauser which is not considered a firearm by federal law (most states too I think), but it's about the last thing I'd wanna use for home defense! Stay safe.

Cabela's: Pistols

Last edited by googabee; 12-17-2010 at 05:03 PM..

Old 12-22-2010, 12:13 AM

2,623 posts, read 3,158,001 times
Sounds like you do't have much chance of legally owning any useful gun, as it stands now. Maybe it's worth consulting an attorney to see about the situation around your charges. If frivolous, maybe he could get the conviction overturned. Just a suggestion. If you can't get it worked out, the baseball bat would be your best bet, and/or get a good dog. Check about the knife too, you may not be allowed it anymore. I worked with a guy who couldn't legally own a knife. Sad situation, he was a tradesman.

Old 07-20-2020, 02:48 PM

233 posts, read 226,112 times
Default see an attorney in your state

some states allow a felon charge be dismissed after a period of time and an application through the court.
that would require an attorney...............

Old 07-20-2020, 07:03 PM

I would hope that at some point in the past 10 years a lawyer was consulted.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:01 AM

1,241 posts, read 907,038 times
Have these challenges advanced in the last decade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The "no handgun under 21" law is blatantly unconstitutional and challenges are in the works against the law.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:52 AM

2,926 posts, read 3,101,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarCii View Post
Why is it unconstitutional?
Because the constitution says, "shall not be infringed" period, not shall not be infringed unless you are under a certain age. Or shall not be infringed unless you have been convicted of a crime.

Spoiler alert. There were children around at the time of the writing of the Constitution. Hey, they even had criminals, and bad ones too. If the authors intended the mess we have made of it, it would have been written into it then.

For the OP, do look into some cap 'n ball revolvers. I have a brace of them and they are great fun. Takes a bit of a learning curve, but you have your firearm and reloading 'bench' right there in your hand. Wild Bill Hickok shot Dave Tutt right through the heart at an incredible range with a .36 cal Navy.

Otherwise, you may be sol as though many states have provisions to restore your rights after some felony convictions, I do not think the federal government does; except as you noted, a Presidential pardon. But, why not consult an attorney? You'll get the real deal there. Here, just guessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: