Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:00 PM

986 posts, read 2,336,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
i agree i don't really like the rock art 6packs much, probably not coincidence since the 22s are usually bigger beers

i picked up a rock art 22oz of "Black moon ipa" (a limited release in conjunction with the hunger mountain coop) also to try with a friend and got a chance to try the Lawson's maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel-Aged Fayston Maple Imperial Stout which was great but will be better in a few years i bet (I am not too good about sitting on good beer), already spent my beer budget this month anyway! we should probably have a dedicated VT beer thread!
That Lawson's beer name is a mouthful, huh? Just had the Maple Nipple last weekend that I bought over the summer. It was quite tasty. I was going to buy the Black Moon, but chose not to. The Rock Art 22s usually are bigger beers, but I would expect them to make their standards to be good beers. Unfortunately, that's not the case. The only one I liked was the Whitetail. I'm not even a big fan of the Ridge Runner. For a barleywine, it lacks flavor.

Also, if you haven't been (since you're in the MRV), take a drive over the App Gap into Bristol for the Bobcat Cafe. They make some great beer and always have 10 on tap (which is a lot for a brewpub). Their food is also awesome.

Perhaps vter could move all these beer posts to a new thread. I think the VT forum should have a dedicated beer thread. VT beer is awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 07:32 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,968,020 times
YES! Thanks vter!

Last week we were at the Alchemist, one of our favorites...had a new beer: Pappy's Secret Stash, which (quoting the website now) is "A 6.5% vanilla milk porter made with Ugandan vanilla". Not sure how long it will be on the menu as it changes so often but it was really really good. I think it became our new favorite, really dark, really flavorful and very smooth.

We're going back up in a week or so, planning on checking out Hill Farmstead thanks to you guys!

Old 01-23-2011, 07:34 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,968,020 times
Do you guys know if it's possible to bring your own growler to be filled at Hill Farmstead?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
new to me at least
oh, I see you can't visit the brewery
our local store gets some and it's sold out in a day.
Lawson's Finest Liquids - Beer Menu

there's also a new one toward the NEK that is quickly becoming legendary
Hill Farmstead Brewery | Artisan Farmhouse Ales (http://hillfarmstead.com/wpblog/ - broken link)
What's interesting about both of those breweries is that they're both at the brewer's house. Shawn Hill has a large property (a farm really, hence the name) that has been in his family for generations (the road may actually be named after his family as many are). He put a big addition on his garage to make more room to brew. I think he may be brewing more than Sean Lawson. Anyway, you can visit his brewery and when he holds events, he allows people to camp out on his property.

I have a feeling Lawson's is a much smaller piece of land. He also runs the naturalist program at Mad River Glen.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
Do you guys know if it's possible to bring your own growler to be filled at Hill Farmstead?
That's a good question. I've been there twice now. The first time I visited, he had run out of his own growlers and was using Mikkeller growlers (he's friends with the guy that owns Mikkeller). I said I should have brought my own and he made some comment about labeling laws and how he technically can't fill other growlers.

Then the second time we were there (about a week ago), there was a guy getting an Otter Creek growler filled. So I really don't know. I guess it doesn't hurt to bring your own, but the Hill Farmstead growlers are really nice with a flip top instead of a cheap cap. His own growlers cost $10 just for the bottle, then about $15 for the fill. He only takes cash, so be prepared.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:31 AM

819 posts, read 1,497,043 times
Big fan of Trout River Red Ale........

Old 01-24-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
Big fan of Trout River Red Ale........
I'll be honest. Trout River is the one VT brewery whose beers I just don't like all that much.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 AM

819 posts, read 1,497,043 times
Blasphemy.............

I kid of course. I am biased as it is right nearby for us, some are better than others. We drink a ton of Long Trail, Otter Creek and Wolavers, but some of the fresh Trout River stuff is decent.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:47 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,281,851 times
My spouse really likes the Downtown Brown Ale from the Bobcat Cafe in Bristol. They don't do growlers or sell in stores so you'll have to make a reservation (or show up and hope for a spot at the bar) for dinner!
The Bobcat Cafe - Amazing Food In Bristol, Vermont
The Bobcat Cafe - Hand-Crafted Beers brewed in Bristol, VT
Not beer...but Woodchuck Cider. Yum. They just bought a big new building in Middlebury so they have room to grow.
Speaking of Middlebury...in addition to Woodchuck and Otter Creek/Wolavers, there is a GREAT winery that produces really good wines...though technically it's in New Haven.....
Vermont Winery-Lincoln Peak-Marquette Wine-Lacrescent Wine

Old 01-24-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
My spouse really likes the Downtown Brown Ale from the Bobcat Cafe in Bristol. They don't do growlers or sell in stores so you'll have to make a reservation (or show up and hope for a spot at the bar) for dinner!
The Bobcat Cafe - Amazing Food In Bristol, Vermont
The Bobcat Cafe - Hand-Crafted Beers brewed in Bristol, VT
Not beer...but Woodchuck Cider. Yum. They just bought a big new building in Middlebury so they have room to grow.
Speaking of Middlebury...in addition to Woodchuck and Otter Creek/Wolavers, there is a GREAT winery that produces really good wines...though technically it's in New Haven.....
Vermont Winery-Lincoln Peak-Marquette Wine-Lacrescent Wine
My wife and I have gotten into the Bobcat Cafe without too much of a wait the 2 times we went. The first time it was a bit later on in the evening and the second was earlier. We had to wait maybe 15 min at the most.

Do any of the brewpubs in VT fill growlers? I asked at Long Trail as to why they don't and their answer was that the taps they had were licensed for on premise consumption. They'd have to get a separate set of taps for off premise in order to fill them. I know the Alchemist also doesn't fill them, I assume it's the same reason there and Bobcat as it is at Long Trail. I really wished Long Trail did. When I was up there a couple weeks ago, I stopped solely to get a glass of Triple Bag. Good stuff, wish I could take it home.

Is Woodchuck still owned by Otter Creek? I'd love to see them doing some organic cider. They're good, but nothing special. I had an awesome organic hard cider from JK Scrumpy's out of Michigan I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont