Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:53 AM

819 posts, read 1,496,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Hartford is becoming a large Regional Job hub , so is Springfield and New Haven not have Rail feeding into them would be stupid.... It would be like New Jersey not investing in Rail links to NYC....where most of the decent jobs are.... I go by what happens in my region which sets the standard for regional safety and Travel....drugs and crime are often thrown up but proven to be scare tactics. There are cameras and drug sniffing dogs everywhere these days....so most of the time the criminal will drive.
Scare tactics? Believe what you want. Any law enforcement official from a city with light rail and regional rail will tell you trafficking on AMTRAK etc. is not a new thing. Where there is a will there is a way. Any additional modes of transportation just provide another "way" and something else that has to be patroled spreading their resources thinner. Again, it is just reality.

Connect Springfield, Hartford and New Haven all you want......this was about connecting that population with VT and Montreal right?

I think we have beaten this topic to death at this point. Crime has to be dealt with everywhere, it isn't a reason to not bring in rail service per se.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 11:33 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,534,926 times
The drug issue is true. The dealers often do deals right behind the shopping plaza in Rutland, near the train station. Nonetheless, I think better security is the answer for that problem. I do support rebuilding our passenger rail infrastructure in this state. I'm not so sure high speed rail has much of a chance here, but the state used to have all kinds of shortlines connecting towns and cities. To this day I still find old rail remnants in the woods. Railroads are more efficient and could use many different fuels. I could almost see steam power making a comeback with more modern designs as peak oil takes its toll on the petroleum market.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The drug issue is true. The dealers often do deals right behind the shopping plaza in Rutland, near the train station. Nonetheless, I think better security is the answer for that problem. I do support rebuilding our passenger rail infrastructure in this state. I'm not so sure high speed rail has much of a chance here, but the state used to have all kinds of shortlines connecting towns and cities. To this day I still find old rail remnants in the woods. Railroads are more efficient and could use many different fuels. I could almost see steam power making a comeback with more modern designs as peak oil takes its toll on the petroleum market.
The voice of reason.

Bingo.

We can move on now right?

I see some freight rail also making a comeback in the NEK at this point. More frequent runs than before, also a good thing in my opinion, especially on existing lines.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:39 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,538,744 times
Given the choice, I think a drug smuggler would still choose to transport drugs via car than on a train. Amtrak police have drug dogs, and its easier to single out a suspect in a field of 200 or so passengers than simply by choosing cars at random to pull over on 91. Nobody's proposing the elimination of roads, though, and the drugs keep getting in.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Drugs would be transported by pack mule, underground tunnels, remote controlled planes, whatever - so long as there's demand, they will find a way. Train or no train.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:56 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,760,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think one of the items the critics are missing is auto fuel prices will probably double in the next decade and double again in the decade after that. The rest of the world is just as addicted to cars as us and they will drive the price of auto fuel to very high levels. [/color]
If I read correctly, the rail would be electric? If so, is the electric generated using oil? If the cost of oil rises, won't the cost of the HSR rise, too?

Old 12-03-2012, 04:40 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,886,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If I read correctly, the rail would be electric? If so, is the electric generated using oil? If the cost of oil rises, won't the cost of the HSR rise, too?
Nuclear , Wind , Hydro , and Coal cover the Northeastern Electric Network. I don't think we have Oil plants in the Northeast....

Last edited by DarkWolf; 12-03-2012 at 06:08 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 06:46 PM

662 posts, read 1,261,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
the Metro North Modal would be great along with the zone fare prices.. It should cost 15$ from Burlington to Springfield or New Haven , or 5$ to White River JCT or Rutland from Burlington....that would be the Metro North zone fare system.
I found this interesting from a MA thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/massa...l#post27161647

Providence to Boston is doable, but I would advise against it. For starters, a Zone 8 pass is $314 a month, which is a significant chunk of what you're paying for a two bedroom apartment. Factor in the three hours a day you'd lose to commuting and that just isn't a great option.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post

Providence to Boston is doable, but I would advise against it. For starters, a Zone 8 pass is $314 a month, which is a significant chunk of what you're paying for a two bedroom apartment. Factor in the three hours a day you'd lose to commuting and that just isn't a great option.
Very familiar with this Zone of the MBTA system.....quite pricey, God help you if you have to park a car to take the train.....add in another $80-90/month.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post

Well the Average Northeastern who uses Transit only , spends about 4-5k a year , the average car owner spends 9-12k a year....the difference is huge.... So give the option of a Transit based life I think many New Englanders choose it which they have in transit areas..... As for Commuting with traffic getting worse and worse , you save hundreds of hrs whether it be commuting to Boston or NY or a smaller city.... 3hrs vs 4hrs isn't bad , but down the road travel times should be shaved by 1-2hrs on most lines....if they go fully electric. Also very few people live out on the outer network , even down here most live within the Inner Metro area or the Dense Urbanized suburbs which means they only commute an 1 to an hour and a half at most. So 2hrs a day which isn't that bad... You get to read , sleep , text , eat , some trains have wifi , some have cafe cars , and there are bathrooms....no traffic , delays are rare what more can you ask for...

Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 PM

New Speculative Travel Times by 2040 from the Rail Community
New York Penn Station to Brattleboro - 2 and half hrs
New York Penn Station to Rutland - 2 and half hrs
New York Penn Station to Burlington - 3 and half hrs

New York Penn Station to Boston - 96 mins
New York Penn Station to Portland - 3hrs
New York Penn Station to Scranton - 80mins
New York Penn Station to Binghamton - 2hrs

New York Penn Station to Philadelphia - 34mins
New York Penn Station to Washington DC - 96mins
New York Penn Station to Harrisburg - 80mins

New York Penn Station to Allentown - 65mins
New York Penn Station to Albany - 70mins
New York Penn Station to Montreal - 5hrs

Boston to Portland - 50mins
Boston to Springfield - 35mins
Boston to Albany - 60mins
Boston to Providence - 15mins

Brattleboro to New London - 70mins
Burlington to New Haven - 3hrs
Burlington to Boston - 1.3hrs
Burlington to Montreal - 35mins
Concord to Boston - 35mins
Bangor to Portland - 50mins
Lewiston to Portland - 35mins

Providence to Hartford - 25mins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont