Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 07:46 PM

19 posts, read 171,205 times

Advertisements

Been here ten years. From NE my whole life (MA) will tell you the truth about VT. NO JOBS. Unless you work in healthcare (fletcher allen) or techie (IBM) youre screwed. A job that pays 50k elsewhere will pay 35 here. Ive been in several fields (realty, commission sales, bartending etc) and in every instance you would do much better elsewhere. Homes and apartments are beyond ridiculous. A 2 br condo downtown Winooski will cost 300K!!!! Ask anyone, anywhere if theyve ever heard of Winooski VT let alone pay 300K for a tiny condo there??!! My mother in law had a 3 br 2.5 bath home in myrtle beach with palm trees in the yard and an acre of land for a 130k. Same home here is 500 plus. Most towns (St Albans, Barre etc) are old, falling apart dumps. There is nothing to do here. Dont listen to the quack who suggests going for a hike in two feet of snow when its ten below out. Saw the sun today. First time in WEEKS. Cold grey and miserable 8 months a year. Locals, natives whatever you want to call them are rude as hell. They act like everyone from everywhere else is, They also act as thougj NOWHERE else on earth has any natural scenery or beauty. If you listened to a Vter they would convince you its the only geographic locale with mountains or trees! Businesses Leave in droves, screwey tax laws and restrictions prevent new ones from starting. Young people who have half a brain are leaving as fast as they can. Taxes and utilities are remarkably high for very little. The population is FULL of drug using welfare mongers. Everyone visits Burlington and Stowe or Windsor and thinks "Oh how pretty like a postcard!" Its a facade people. Folks here like to pump water from a well like its 1890. Not very progressive. Just because you see the burlington "crowd" on the news dont buy it. The level of racism, homophobia and other forms of bigotry is huge here. They dont want you here unless your a dirtbag who sleeps with his family. And if you dont believe me, I have spoken with members of authority who stated that St Albans has hundreds of cases of incest on file. Considering there is only 15,000 people in that area, its a staggering number. So for all you people from elsewhere who say eeeeee i want/cant wait to move to Vermont, DONT do it. Youll regret it till you leave

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-13-2013 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: flaming

Old 03-09-2013, 07:53 PM

Default Vt drivers

Most drive without a license. Always drive 10-15 miles UNDER the limit unless the weather is real bad then they speed. NOONE uses blinkers. Worst drivers ive ever encountered through living in six states and a few european countries

Old 03-09-2013, 07:59 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
C'mon now . . . dont hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

You must live in Rutland ?

Old 03-09-2013, 08:08 PM

Lol no Rutland for me, but honestly whats the difference right? Its just another dumphole that some native will try and play up and pretend like its the hub of the universe because they caught a free local concert once, or had a town hall meeting there lol

Old 03-09-2013, 08:33 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Everybody knows Vermont has no jobs. Don't move there. I used to think I wanted to live in southern VT. There were ZERO jobs so I didn't move there. Vermont is gorgeous though and it has a lot of history and a lot of decent people. One entire half of my family came from Vermont and they were not like the people you are talking about.

I moved to another hick town in MA. One hick town to another hick town. Really high prices but there are a few jobs here at least. I go to VT in the summer for the beauty, quiet, and history. You need to move out and find a more congenial location.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:40 PM

Vermont is beautiful yes, but my point is exactly the one youre making. Im also saying that Vters dont realize or deny that theres a HUGE problem with lack of commerce, industry and jobs. They complain about other states. And those places do have crime and pollution etc. but then theres the beauty. California has the northern mountians, and the giant redwoods and incredible coastline. Massachusetts has the cape, and the berkshires etc. my point is most places have the good and the bad and a little in the middle. Vermont has scenic beauty and thats IT. No jobs, no commerce, nowhere to shop etc

Old 03-09-2013, 08:55 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
I went from running a creative department in a large eastern university in PA to making cookie cutters and catching crackers at Westminster for 8.00 an hour to try to survive in VT. Very depressing.
Try to look on the bright side . . . At least its not Florida

Old 03-09-2013, 08:58 PM

Your story is one ive heard numerous times and experienced myself. Another point to add: Vters dont like people with experience or good job aptitude, especially if youre not a native. Youll end up with two "Mcjobs" just to make ends meet

Old 03-09-2013, 09:01 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ughdontevenbother View Post
Vermont is beautiful yes, but my point is exactly the one youre making. Im also saying that Vters dont realize or deny that theres a HUGE problem with lack of commerce, industry and jobs. They complain about other states. And those places do have crime and pollution etc. but then theres the beauty. California has the northern mountians, and the giant redwoods and incredible coastline. Massachusetts has the cape, and the berkshires etc. my point is most places have the good and the bad and a little in the middle. Vermont has scenic beauty and thats IT. No jobs, no commerce, nowhere to shop etc
It might be better in the long run if they keep it that way. The Cape is so crowded now that you wouldn't even want to go there, at least I wouldn't. A lot of the natural beauty that I remember is now gone. There are people EVERYWHERE and huge houses EVERYWHERE and it gets more and more and more expensive. I don't know how people afford to live there.

California--I haven't been there in eons but a long time ago when I was in southern CA, I hated it. It was really ugly, crowded and fake. I longed to see a tree or anything green. The northern part where the redwood are is probably pretty nice but I bet it's more like VT with no jobs. It's hard to have both.

There are hardly any good places left anymore. The good places have all been taken and built up and made expensive so that only rich people can live there and ordinary people can barely even visit. At least with Vermont we can still go and visit it ---- in the SUMMER when it's tolerable.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:10 PM

Right but were not talking about just visiting Vt which does have some great summers. Live here year round and feel the pain lol. Good points about the cape. I was just using an example in an earlier post. I think we can agree that there is no such thing as a perfect place however, my problem lies in the fact that most Vters would never admit its not utopia. Im from Mass and i can tell you the good from the bad and admit faults. Up here, people act like were sitting in the palm of god and if you question it, they go ape on you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont