Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 02:48 PM

129 posts, read 489,746 times

Advertisements

Ya'll are cracking me up. Thanks so much for all the info you've provided. Do you think there are any towns that have been more affected than others? I've heard Rutland, Barre and Brat, maybe?

What do you think?

Old 01-22-2014, 05:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,270,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingreene View Post
Ya'll are cracking me up. Thanks so much for all the info you've provided. Do you think there are any towns that have been more affected than others? I've heard Rutland, Barre and Brat, maybe?

What do you think?
It's everywhere. Some posters shared what's happening in their towns if you read back to get the names of the towns. If you move to Vermont, you just have to be vigilant with your children regarding drugs, as you should be wherever you live in the country. I wouldn't worry about random violent crime. The victims are usually involved in drugs themselves.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:26 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,795,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Also from that article:

There are many who believe that the data from the 60's and 70's was too narrow and that the average amount of THC in marijuana has not increased. If anything, there's a wider variety of strains that have a much wider range of THC content now.
High potency and synthetic marijuana pose real dangers in first weeks of pregnancy

Quote:
Marijuana is up to 20 times more potent than it was 40 years ago and most pregnant women who use the drug are totally unaware that it could harm their unborn child before they even know they are pregnant.

Writing in the journal Drug Testing and Analysis, American researcher's state the argument that marijuana is a harmless drug is no longer valid due to the emergence of 'high potency' marijuana and synthetic marijuana which pose a potential real threat for pregnant women.
They also express concerns that marijuana's increased popularity among teenagers and young adults could put this group at higher risk.
"The emergence of bioengineered crops and novel, medicinal marijuana strains, means that marijuana is no longer what it used to be in the 1970's and early 1980s': some new, high potency strains, including some medicinal marijuana blends such as 'Connie Chung' and many others, contain up to 20 times more THC, the psychoactive constituent of marijuana, than did 'traditional' marijuana from the 1970's and early 1980's " explains co-author Dr. Delphine Psychoyos from the Center for Genetic and Environmental Medicine at Texas A&M University. "Furthermore, with the emergence of dispensaries and Internet websites, high potency marijuana and Spice products are now readily available to the general population."
Higher/Better living through chemistry?

Old 01-23-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingreene View Post

What do you think?
Springfield is having issues.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:51 PM

I just stumbled upon this. It doesn't mention towns/regions, but it does refer to the drug trade in VT:
Gang activity behind violence at Ky. prison housing Vt. inmates? - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Quote:
We have some idea of what's going on," Pallito said. "We think it has to do with some of the gangs that are starting to pop up in Vermont, that are coming in and out, we believe, on some of the drug trade from other states surrounding Vermont.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:59 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,671,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Springfield is having issues.
Even towns that have a good reputations are struggling with the heroin problem. Bristol and Vergennes are both running into big problems. Not that long ago the news ran a story on how parents wouldn't let their kids go to the park in Bristol because of the used needles. Rural Vermont will have the worst struggle because of the lack of police presence. Many towns don't even have police departments.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:09 AM

986 posts, read 2,338,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
Even towns that have a good reputations are struggling with the heroin problem. Bristol and Vergennes are both running into big problems. Not that long ago the news ran a story on how parents wouldn't let their kids go to the park in Bristol because of the used needles. Rural Vermont will have the worst struggle because of the lack of police presence. Many towns don't even have police departments.
That reminds me of when we weren't allowed to go to the beach in New Haven... used needles washing up on the shore from LI Sound.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:34 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,270,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
Rural Vermont will have the worst struggle because of the lack of police presence. Many towns don't even have police departments.
Even where there are police departments, that doesn't mean they'll do anything. A few years ago, the police were called by many, many people about a heroin dealer. The police REFUSED to come, similar to how you can't get a tow truck driver to come too. I was blown away. All they had to do was drive up the mountain. It would have been so easy to bust that heroin dealer. They didn't want to bother.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:36 AM

371 posts, read 539,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
That reminds me of when we weren't allowed to go to the beach in New Haven... used needles washing up on the shore from LI Sound.
That's too funny, because on the north shore of Long Island there were always needles and all kinds of junk coming ashore (worst in the 70's), and it was blamed on the junkies across the sound in Connecticut!

I was wondering why the real estate values in Windsor, VT were not rebounding in line with Hartland, Quechee, Hartford, White River and some other towns heading north up the Connecticut river. I truly believe that this town has become a perfect example of how bad the problem with heroin really is. It seems to have been in a steady decline since I bought a house there in 2007. You can see it clearly driving around (the poverty, properties that are not kept up, closed stores, kids in the middle of the day hanging around with no school or work to go to, lots of petty theft like breaking into the cars, etc.) Word gets around, and for all I know, it will get worse. Right now I do not feel unsafe in Windsor, but I wonder how just how far down it will go.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:09 PM

Vermont Today - Vermont News, Vermont photos, Vermont business, Vermont Events

Chester has a PD and a few years ago I noticed the local PD would see my black SUV and follow me as I drove through. I figured they were counting on an out-of-state tag equaling speeding ticket revenue. Boy, was I surprised when I learned of the big drug bust in town. It was then I realized they were eyeing my vehicle as something more than a potential speeder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont