Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 06:09 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,498,478 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your encouragement.

I worry that I am researching too obsessively. But moving is a big change. I would be selling the home I grew up in and then inherited. When I lived in other places, the house was always available to stay in if necessary. The house is no longer appropriate for me, and, as someone I knew once said, when all is said and done, a house is just a building.

I have read posts from people who moved to a new area, then found they disliked it and moved back. Then, there are people who have to move back because of family or job issues or things like that. Either way, a move is not a life sentence.

I find I go back and forth. Move to Vermont or stay in New York and visit Vermont? No, I can't afford to stay in New York and buy property there. Nor would I want to.

As you have probably guessed, for me, moving to Vermont involves a lot more, emotionally, than simply moving house, although moving house is itself a stressful change. But I have had experiences in the past where I was ambivalent about a change, resisted it intensely, thought about it obsessively and then was very glad after I made the change.

By the way, I bought a bagel from a local place last night. It was stale!! (Yes, I ate it. It was a bit dry and stiff, but it tasted good and I was hungry and in a hurry. I wonder if this had metaphorical significance, though.)

Last edited by arel; 12-12-2006 at 06:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 08:24 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,868 times
I am in the same boat - to sell the house I grew up in and move to VT, or stay in NYC...but I am almost 100% decided that selling the house immediately is a foolish move...asides from the fact that the market is slowing down, what if we moved to VT and don't like it? What if we wanted to come back? The only place in NYC I would want to live is where I live now and we certainly would not be able to afford to do that if we sold the house. Renting it out for at least a year and trying out VT is a great compromise...

Old 12-13-2006, 07:17 PM

121 posts, read 563,145 times
Default JetBlue

Arel,

If you are serious about moving to Vermont and you don't invest the $100 for a round trip ticket from JFK to Burlington on JetBlue, then you are doing yourself a disservice.

We live on LI and my wife and I made a weekend trip to Burlington last January and were AMAZED at how easy the trip was on JetBlue. The flight is one hour, each seat has its own TV, and before you know it you are touching down in Burlington airport which is super clean, efficient, and welcoming. We picked up a rental car with ease and were at our B&B within minutes. We loved walking on Church Street. The town actually felt a bit European to us. Beautiful scenery with the mountains rising beyond Lake Champlain. It was absolutely worth the weekend visit.

If the ticket was $150 each way, or the travel was hectic, or the city was not interesting then I could understand not going. But as you seem willing to invest so much more both emotionally and monetarily to move to Vermont, then from where you live to JFK and on to Burlington for a good weekend is a no-brainer.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:49 AM

That's a great plus if one can get right to Burlington from JFK and in an hour no less. I live about 1/2 hour from JFK. I had imagined that the plane would go from LaGuardia or Newark.

A one-hour plane ride is a lot more time-efficient than an 8-hour car ride.

It is also easier than a 5-hour ride between New York and Brattleboro.

But if I move to Vermont in the near future, it will be to Brattleboro. I have specific reasons for choosing Brattleboro at this time. If I ever move to Burlington, it wouldn't be for several years.

Thanks for the info, though. I may go for a weekend, just for fun.

Old 12-22-2006, 04:24 PM

5 posts, read 12,385 times
Hi. I'm also considering a move to Brattleboro. I'm a single mom, about 50, with a child, and I've lived both in big cities (which I loved) and in an isolated area in Alaska, as well as some small towns in other states, and I've found that, indeed, certain social problems exist everywhere. That said, after living in Alaska, I have a hunch I could take in stride social problems in Vermont. The per capita alchohol consumption in Alaska is somewhere between appalling and beyond measuring. And yet, of course, the state's natural beauty is incredible.

Brattleboro, Vermont appeals to me as a place where my son and I can enjoy the outdoors with plenty of room to run and bicycle and roam, and yet we can hop on a train and be in Boston or Burlington fairly easily with a little planning. Brattleboro in particular sounds appealing for its arts community. I would love to hear observations about the arts in that area. Vermonters seem very friendly to me. I respect reserve in people, particularly after living in areas where privacy is difficult to have, and many is the time, living away from my native New England, that I missed the natural reserve of New Englanders.

Thank you! And happy holidays to all.

-Poet

Old 12-23-2006, 11:26 AM

Brattleboro is known for its arts community. There are lots of concerts and plays and galleries. There is almost always something to do.

On the first Friday of every month, there is "Gallery Walk". I went to one, and it was crowded, even in the rain. I heard jazz and visited an art gallery. There were lots of other places to visit, if I had wanted to. There was a costumed man giving flyers about a Renassance Festival and there was lots of free ice cream.

The next day, also in the rain, was the annual Strolling of the Heiffers parade. Then there was a street fair, of sorts, in the Retreat area. There were lots of tents, etc. with people selling food and products. I bought a few gifts for friends. The line for coffee was very long. I didn't wait because of the rain. I spent time listening to Cajun music in a tent. And, if my memory serves me, I think there were gourmet cooking demonstrations, with the food being served for free to the audience and to onlookers walking by. There was lots of free ice cream.

Even in the rain, I had a great time.

I'm sure others can fill you in on details of the arts scene there, including the experience of being part of it.

But I know that Brattleboro prides itself on its arts scene.

And Boston is about 2 1/2 hours away by car. New York is about 5 hours. And there is a train every day that goes from downtown Brattleboro right to Penn Station in Manhattan. So you can go to the Metropolitan Museum or the Metropolitan Opera, etc., if you want to.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,395 times
Default Didya?

Aloha
I was just wondering if you made the move to Vermont? And how are you liking it?
I am planning such a move from Hawaii shortly and I would appreciate any advice.
I have a secure income, so finding a job isn't an issue with me- I also have kids and dogs, so I need to find a family friendly rental- preferably rural, but which areas are desireable??

Thanks to everyone for any advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
What you wrote is sobering. But substance abuse and domestic violence are all over, not just in Vermont. So is irresponsibility.

Sounds like there are nice niches for people who return phone calls and who do what they say they will.

And for social workers and other social service personnel.

It's an interesting point that you made, that maybe social and economic problems are why Vermont has so few people, even with its breathtaking beauty. Something to think about before I commit myself to moving there.

New York City has serious social problems and, for many, economic issues. It has little or no breathtaking beauty. Yet we have over 8 million people. Brooklyn, where I live, is becoming increasingly congested; it takes forever to get around sometimes. But, of course, New York is a charismatic, world class city, and there are lots of jobs here, sometimes extremely lucrative jobs, so there is an understandable attraction for people.

What part of Vermont do you live in? I have read on these posts that southern Vermont has a better outlook for job seekers, and also proximity to jobs in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.

Here's a question: If someone lives in Vermont and works in Massachusetts, does income tax need to be paid in both states?

Old 03-12-2009, 05:26 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,234,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpy View Post
Aloha
I was just wondering if you made the move to Vermont? And how are you liking it?
I am planning such a move from Hawaii shortly and I would appreciate any advice.
I have a secure income, so finding a job isn't an issue with me- I also have kids and dogs, so I need to find a family friendly rental- preferably rural, but which areas are desireable??

Thanks to everyone for any advice
My advise is to stay in Hawaii

Seriously.. good luck with your move and welcome to the board.

Last edited by Summerz; 03-12-2009 at 05:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont