Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 10:45 PM

162 posts, read 228,803 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am going to Brattleboro Vermont during spring break. What are some cool things to do you would recommend? I am planning to spend a week there. I am looking to see if I want to work and move there after medical school.

Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 09:04 AM

8,497 posts, read 4,558,569 times
The obvious response would be skiing if enough snow is still on the ground. Killington is not far for downhill skiing. There are also plenty of places for cross country skiing. The Delaware and Hudson Rail Trail from Castleton to Poultney is an option. It is an unpaved trail used for biking in the warmer months and cross country skiing in the winter. I have biked it and enjoyed it.

You also have the Diamond Run Shopping Mall just south of downtown on rte 7.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:00 AM

371 posts, read 537,346 times
Drive an hour north and check out the area around Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, specifically the medical center itself and the surrounding towns on both the VT and NH side of the river. As a doctor, you might find working at DHMC and living in the Upper Valley more to your liking than southern Vermont.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:32 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The obvious response would be skiing if enough snow is still on the ground. Killington is not far for downhill skiing. There are also plenty of places for cross country skiing. The Delaware and Hudson Rail Trail from Castleton to Poultney is an option. It is an unpaved trail used for biking in the warmer months and cross country skiing in the winter. I have biked it and enjoyed it.

You also have the Diamond Run Shopping Mall just south of downtown on rte 7.

I think you are thinking of the Rutland area, not the Brattleboro area. It is an hour & a half from Brattleboro to Rutland.

It has been many years since I lived in the Brattleboro area. I don't think Maple Hill Ski area is still open. There is skiing at Living Memorial Park (they also have a pool for summer recreation). They have the Strolling of the Heifers I think in June. There are trails and such for hiking. There were a few good restaurants when I lived there but don't know if they are still there.

Cat

Old 01-13-2016, 07:16 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Hermit Thrush Brewery

But I like the area in the summer myself, good swimming holes

Old 01-13-2016, 09:00 AM

162 posts, read 228,803 times
Thank you for your answers everyone! Extremely helpful. I will definitely check out the surrounding areas too. I am spending a week in Vermont. I am very excited!

Last edited by DoctorRock25; 01-13-2016 at 09:09 AM..

Old 01-14-2016, 11:50 AM

8,497 posts, read 4,558,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I think you are thinking of the Rutland area, not the Brattleboro area. It is an hour & a half from Brattleboro to Rutland.

It has been many years since I lived in the Brattleboro area. I don't think Maple Hill Ski area is still open. There is skiing at Living Memorial Park (they also have a pool for summer recreation). They have the Strolling of the Heifers I think in June. There are trails and such for hiking. There were a few good restaurants when I lived there but don't know if they are still there.

Cat

My mistake. I was thinking Rutland for some reason.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:17 PM

249 posts, read 354,541 times
Bumping this thread even though it didn't yield much a couple of years ago.

Heading to Newfane next weekend with my family (6 & 4 year old kids). Tentatively, we have plans to have a late lunch Friday at Whetstone and then head to the Grafton Cheese shop. We've heard that it's the last weekend for the Farmer's Market, so we're planning on that for Saturday morning. I know my husband will be interested in a place to find good craft beer. Any suggestions on what else we should do in the area? I'm looking for interesting places to stop into that are kid-friendly but that won't take up more than a few hours. We're looking forward to spending the late afternoon and evening at the cottage we've rented.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:59 PM

542 posts, read 702,147 times
I am from Newfane so...Whetstone ok, Grafton Cheese ok, There is little in Newfane, just to let you know. Ricks Tavern for pizza, sandwiches. Four columns Inn, which is upscale, they have a bar menu and tables outside. Also formal dinning. The eatery in williamsville is a kinda crunchy craft beer and local sourced wood fired pizza place. Opens at 5pm I think. The grocery store is north up rt 30 about 3 miles. I think it closes at 9pm.

Saturday farmers market is a good choice, although wardsboro ( go the back way ) is having the gilfeather turnip festival on Saturday and that might be a better choice. I am sure your kids love turnips. Anyway, wardsboro is a real VT town so you will get the full experience. You could probably go to both if you were up to it. From wardsboro to brattleboro or vice versa is a nice ride up rt 9 - rt 100. You will go by mt snow, west dover, wilmington probably all shut down as the leaves I am sure are gone in the mountains, still nice scenery. If your comfortable on the water you can rent canoes in brattleboro. They are located on rt 5 on the bridge going north out of town. If your uneasy with young kids in boats you can paddle up the west river from there, you go around the corner and it is only about 3 ft deep anywhere you go. There is also a restaurant there, "the marina" great views. Other things, a hike on top putney mountian is easy and will kill a couple hours. Good view at the end, easy flat walk. From Newfane go to brookline - right at the T to up the mountian. This is a seasonal road. It is fine go slow. At the top there is parking. When done you might continue down the other side into putney, google map it, go by green mountain orchard. This is a big orchard I think they have pick your own apples and probably things to buy this time of year. Putney also has curtis barbecue. Outside affair, expensive for what it is but the tourists like it. Across the street is the Putney co-op if you prefer vegan. A walk around main street brattleboro is worth it. won't take long. Lots of very strange people to look at. Old hippies and pan handlers, yuppies, lumberjacks and crackheads. It is all in that little town. I am not a natural foods guy but a stroll through the brattleboro coop interesting if your looking for some fine cheese or tofu.

Sunday keene NH has the pumpkin festival going on. That is about 35 minutes from Newfane. Lots of carved pumpkins, probably have kids stuff at that.

Ill keep thinking

Old 10-18-2017, 10:03 PM

542 posts, read 702,147 times
KIDSPLAYCE - KidsPLAYce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont