Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 01:20 AM

8 posts, read 22,850 times

Advertisements

I am possibly moving to the St. Albans area in the near future. Can anyone tell me a little about the town? I went online and it looks like apartment rentals are pretty scarce in St. Albans. Does anyone have any advice as to finding a decent apartment. Are there any areas of the city that are better than others?

Thanks!

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 03:47 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,123 times
I have advice for someone considering a move to St. Albans - don't do it.

St. Albans was the main city on my wish list when I moved here for 14 years ago. My realtor tried to talk me out of it, but I was attracted to a small town with a functioning main st (there aren't that many of them here in Northern Vermont), and the cheaper housing compared to Burlington area.

Oddly enough, my realtor wasn't the first person who tried to talk me out of St. Albans. When I was flying to Vermont to check out houses, a guy next to me on the plane also told me to look elsewhere.

The town is full of drugs and the a lot of the people are pretty sketchy. Not that your life would be in danger, but I'd find it depressing to live there.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:07 AM

809 posts, read 998,491 times
One of my lifetime favorite books is John Steinbeck's Cannery Row. It's always been a charming read.

But when you step back and consider the neighborhood, you realize that Steinbeck's writing about neighborhoods that are just like the St. Albanses and Springfields that people carp about here!

The fact is, the more power we have over who we socialize with, the more confined our lives become. When we move into a new area with the idea that we will accommodate its quirks, perversions and lacunae as we shape our new life, we ensure our mental and emotional flexibility. The challenges we meet force us to keep thinking and keep our senses of sympathy and empathy sharp. So, as we bring about the changes we want, we do so in a fashion that sustains rather than destroys our own Cannery Row (or your own version of an ideal neighborhood).

Full disclosure: I've known and dealt personally with a number of the seriously offbeat characters in my town (and still do, from time to time). One of them I'm casually acquainted with tried to burn down my house before he knew me. Despite that, I find him as deserving a person as any other American.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:58 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,123 times
[quote=cgregor;48521674 One of them I'm casually acquainted with tried to burn down my house before he knew me. Despite that, I find him as deserving a person as any other American.[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, I think this makes you a serious chump. Nothing romantic about it.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:04 AM

809 posts, read 998,491 times
I didn't meet him or find out about his past until a couple of years after the incident, so I was okay with it.

Teenage arsonists almost invariably are acting out on very serious issues in their life. If you knew him, you'd probably perceive such. Why should I dump even more on a guy whose life you definitely wouldn't want to be living? He's not a problem to society these days, although he is likely still a problem to himself. I am thankful that he's got taxpayer-funded resources that keep him in counseling and on the right meds.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:58 AM

32 posts, read 37,085 times
Honestly - spend the extra money for a short-lease place in Burlington area and visit St. A a lot before you settle there. There are some wonderful things about the area, but it has been the one of the hardest hit by opiates and it can feel isolating there if you're not used to it.

Are you moving from another state? a rural/metro area?

Old 07-10-2017, 12:01 AM

Hi--- Thanks for the responses. I'll be relocating from downtown Philadelphia. I'll be working up near the border so living in Burlington would be too far of a commute. I grew up in Pittsfield, MA so I'm a little familiar with places hit by the opiate problems. Are there areas of St. Albans that are better to live in than others?

Old 07-10-2017, 02:33 PM

28 posts, read 36,917 times
Here is a re-post of something I made here a while back, and it still stands:

I'm a supervisor with a federal agency in the area and often have to assist newcomers with finding a place to live. I went through the process myself not too long ago.

The little secret of the area is an email list called Front Porch Forum. Each town has its own. It is released in digest form every evening. For example, go to their site, create an account, choose the towns you are considering, and post your needs. Your message will be sent out to everyone on the list later in the day as part of the daily FPF email digest.

I steer people almost exclusively to FPF these days. Other resources include calling the place you will be working and trying to network with an admin person ahead of time (my office will do that with a smile), good ol' Craigslist, Pad Mapper, and even AirBnB has some long-term rentals listed.

Best of luck!

Old 07-10-2017, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the resources.....I'll be may be working up in the Richford area with a federal agency also. I tried to join Front Porch, but it required to put in a physical address of the town where you live. Is there another way to join?

Thanks again

Old 10-06-2017, 12:55 PM

28 posts, read 48,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernPhoenix View Post
Here is a re-post of something I made here a while back, and it still stands:

I'm a supervisor with a federal agency in the area and often have to assist newcomers with finding a place to live. I went through the process myself not too long ago.

The little secret of the area is an email list called Front Porch Forum. Each town has its own. It is released in digest form every evening. For example, go to their site, create an account, choose the towns you are considering, and post your needs. Your message will be sent out to everyone on the list later in the day as part of the daily FPF email digest.

I steer people almost exclusively to FPF these days. Other resources include calling the place you will be working and trying to network with an admin person ahead of time (my office will do that with a smile), good ol' Craigslist, Pad Mapper, and even AirBnB has some long-term rentals listed.

Best of luck!
Except that you need to enter a street address, and they boot you off if you do not actually live in the community you register for.

Any other suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont