Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 09:29 PM

130 posts, read 140,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good points, as while there is private land in the park, I think the character of the park is considered in such cases as well.
There are few lakes as beautiful in the world as Lake George.
The Adirondack mountain region is stellar.
If there are to be stringent building codes, let it be there.
For one of the most pristine, pure drinking water quality lakes is changing year by year as it is contaminated by road salts, foreign species of invasive fish and flora being introduced etc.

I cannot recall the scientific terminology, but recall reading many years back, LG was on the brink of passing from one classification to the next, a level of purity classification, once moved to the next level, cannot go back.

I would like to think that at least bikers friends were run thru the wringer to help preserve a legacy lake area, rather than just being drowned in bureaucratic red tape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 06:08 AM

13 posts, read 47,845 times
I like Vermont better. The people are more laid-back, easy going. The pace is slower. Vermonters are friendlier overall than people upstate. It's also more progressive politically. I wouldn't say it's Democratic-liberal, but progressive in the sense that Vermonters are very independent. They are wary of both large corporate interests as well as undemocratic governance.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:12 AM

130 posts, read 140,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyt23 View Post
I like Vermont better. The people are more laid-back, easy going. The pace is slower. Vermonters are friendlier overall than people upstate. It's also more progressive politically. I wouldn't say it's Democratic-liberal, but progressive in the sense that Vermonters are very independent. They are wary of both large corporate interests as well as undemocratic governance.
Yes, pauly.
My readings exactly on why I chose to buy in Vermont vs upstate n.y.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:43 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That is not even remotely true.

NYC has absolutely no jurisdiction over NY State.
DID I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT LEGAL JURISDICTION? NO I DID NOT!

other than NYC politics like most very large cities in a state control the government. Yes, NY has some smaller cities that are good size and they help. But NYC is noted to be extremely liberal; however, outside the city the state is somewhat conservative.

Similar in other states, Seattle controls the political climate of Washington, Portland for Oregon, etc.

Hope that helps to qualify what I said...if not....oh well!

Last edited by vter; 07-11-2020 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: edited out rude comment

Old 07-14-2020, 08:45 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
DID I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT LEGAL JURISDICTION? NO I DID NOT!

other than NYC politics like most very large cities in a state control the government. Yes, NY has some smaller cities that are good size and they help. But NYC is noted to be extremely liberal; however, outside the city the state is somewhat conservative.

Similar in other states, Seattle controls the political climate of Washington, Portland for Oregon, etc.

Hope that helps to qualify what I said...if not....oh well!

Why would someone from Idaho bump a 2017 thread with a "liberal" rant?

Look at a New York county map for the 2016 election. Outside of the New York City metro, it's a wall of red other than Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Ithaca, and Albany. In Vermont, only Essex County in the NEK was red.

Generally, the state taxes collected from the NYC economic engine supports all those red counties. The same is true with Boston vs rural western Massachusetts. Most people think it's a good thing to have services for the elderly. Good schools in the poor rural towns. Radical things like health care for lower income people. It's not like the taxes paid by the average Joe in Plattsburgh would support that level of services. Vermont tries to provide that level of services and it's a struggle without having the mega-city with the big tax base to fund it. It instead uses vacation homes (17% of all houses) to prop up lower income school systems and tourist-oriented 9% lodging/meals taxes, 10% bar alcohol tax.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:45 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Why would someone from Idaho bump a 2017 thread with a "liberal" rant?

Look at a New York county map for the 2016 election. Outside of the New York City metro, it's a wall of red other than Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Ithaca, and Albany. In Vermont, only Essex County in the NEK was red.

Generally, the state taxes collected from the NYC economic engine supports all those red counties. The same is true with Boston vs rural western Massachusetts. Most people think it's a good thing to have services for the elderly. Good schools in the poor rural towns. Radical things like health care for lower income people. It's not like the taxes paid by the average Joe in Plattsburgh would support that level of services. Vermont tries to provide that level of services and it's a struggle without having the mega-city with the big tax base to fund it. It instead uses vacation homes (17% of all houses) to prop up lower income school systems and tourist-oriented 9% lodging/meals taxes, 10% bar alcohol tax.
The state seems to be getting a boost during this crisis with new residents moving in, does it not? Perhaps, once the current economic situation moderates in a few years, this boost will reinvigorate areas and also the tax base?

Old 07-21-2020, 08:33 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
The state seems to be getting a boost during this crisis with new residents moving in, does it not? Perhaps, once the current economic situation moderates in a few years, this boost will reinvigorate areas and also the tax base?
Vermont has a large outward migration. The top-10% of most high school classes get their college degrees and take a job in the flatlands where there is more career opportunity. That’s hardly limited to Vermont. There’s enough inward migration to offset that but the people moving in tend to be a lot older and not reliant on the weak Vermont job market. 17% of Vermont’s residential housing stock is vacation homes. An awful lot of people cash out their expensive flatland home and move to their Vermont vacation home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont