Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 5,904 times

Advertisements

I've spent a lot of time around the state but only lived in Burlington, I've lived in MA the past 10 years and am considering going back. I keep thinking about montpelier but dont know anyone that lives there to really get a feel for what living there is like.

I'm 33, single man, active. I work in freelance design/drafting. I occasionally get some work in the Morrisville area so I think I could make work.. work. I'd love to keep picking up more local work though. I'd probably get roommates to try and meet people.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 09:13 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
I think Montpelier is the best place in Vermont to live. Of course, I'm 64 and I've lived here since 1983, so my experience is not what yours will be.

Housing is very tight, with a rental vacancy rate of 1% or lower. I know people around your age who live here and it's true that they often have roommates.

I also think that there is a lot more activity for younger people than there used to be, so once you got around and started meeting people you wouldn't have to feel isolated.

Good luck!

Old 10-03-2017, 08:21 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Nice place, but very very small.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:58 PM

24 posts, read 30,165 times
I'm 33 and I love living in Montpelier. One can date here, but date carefully because you'll see the same folks night after night. I love Montpelier, but it might be hard to adjust to after living in Burlington. There's minimal nightlife, fair number of restaurants, and great coffee.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:56 PM

22 posts, read 60,515 times
Montpelier is great! With a Walkscore of 81 everything is in reach and quite walkable.

For food you have Hunger Mtn Coop, Shaws, and other little city markets right within town. There is also an excellent Farmers Market on Saturdays and lots of local restaurants (Thai, Mexican, Italian, Steakhouse, Farm-to-table, Cafes, Wine Bars, Coffeehouses,...)

For entertainment there is live music at the Skinny Pancake, Bagitos, Positive Pie, Sweet Melissas, and several other locations. They also have a theatre (Lost Nation) where there are live plays, concerts, and musicals. If you want to go to the movies there is Capital Plaza and the Savoy Theater which mostly plays Indie movies.

Bookstores, Boutiques, Art Galleries, everything you could NEED is right here.

For those that don't have transportation or don't like to commute in the winter months, there is Amtrak and also a bus and Commuter system that travels back and forth to Burlington throughout the day.

It also has a very low crime rate so in general, pretty safe.

The only downsides that I can think of is housing can be extremely limited and prices are going up. It is not uncommon to see 1 bedroom Apartments for $1200 (almost comparable to Burlington). Also some of these apartments don't offer off-street parking and some have restrictions (no pets, no candles/incense, no shoes worn in the house..) so read lease very carefully. Also if you like shopping malls or corporations, this may not be the place for you. It is the only capital in the US without a Mcdonalds. The only fast food chains that I am aware of are Subway, Dominoes, and Dunkin Donuts and they are all locally owned franchises.

In my opinion, dating is limited everywhere in Vermont compared to big cities like Chicago, San Diego, or Seattle. Also it is not uncommon for everyone to know each other...sort of a social circle going on around here especially if you live here for any period of time.

All in all I would give it excellent ratings. Beautiful parks, trails, and small town vibe. Perfect for a young professional.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:26 AM

229 posts, read 317,466 times
" It is not uncommon to see 1 bedroom Apartments for $1200 "
Jesus! I'm 12 miles outside Washington DC, so basically in DC and a one bedroom apartment is around 1200-1500.
Vermont is insane as far as prices!

Old 10-30-2017, 11:38 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post
Jesus! I'm 12 miles outside Washington DC, so basically in DC and a one bedroom apartment is around 1200-1500.

That's been true for decades. One bedrooms in Burlington were about the same price as one bedrooms in Boston even in the early 90s. Wages were far far less too.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:43 AM

22 posts, read 60,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post

Yes high cost of living and wages don't make up for it either. We are currently having an dilemma with young people leaving by the bus loads for various reasons. You pay for small town living, low crime, and solitude. If that is your thing then this is perfect but again if you are looking for a social scene (on a bigger scale) like say Portland Maine...you probably won't find it here. Everything is pretty much shut down by 5PM with the exception of some bars and pizza joints (9PM for them). Even Burlington has it's limitations but is as good as it gets. If you find a good place to live for a decent price...hang on to it and hope the landlord doesn't raise the rent.

As for buying a house, you may have to purchase one off the gird or get a real fixer upper. Burlington is ridiculous and so is Montpelier.

I believe this is pretty much the same throughout New England. High Cost of Living, crummy pay in exchange for pretty fall leaves and small town New England atmosphere.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:39 AM

56 posts, read 62,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbeanie View Post
Yes high cost of living and wages don't make up for it either. We are currently having an dilemma with young people leaving by the bus loads for various reasons. You pay for small town living, low crime, and solitude. If that is your thing then this is perfect but again if you are looking for a social scene (on a bigger scale) like say Portland Maine...you probably won't find it here. Everything is pretty much shut down by 5PM with the exception of some bars and pizza joints (9PM for them). Even Burlington has it's limitations but is as good as it gets. If you find a good place to live for a decent price...hang on to it and hope the landlord doesn't raise the rent.

As for buying a house, you may have to purchase one off the gird or get a real fixer upper. Burlington is ridiculous and so is Montpelier.

I believe this is pretty much the same throughout New England. High Cost of Living, crummy pay in exchange for pretty fall leaves and small town New England atmosphere.
What about Barre Town? Or any other towns outside Montpelier? Either for renting or buying. Lots of properties for sale in and around Barre.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:16 PM

5,453 posts, read 4,058,826 times
things may have changed, but I used to live near there and get the local paper. I would see a lot of deals on multi-family houses for sale, and think, if I were a few years younger. If you don't mind being a landlord, it might be something to consider. Especially if you are handy.
I just checked the internet, there is a 2 unit building in Barre for $30K, a 3 unit for $69K. You pay a lot less in Barre and are just minutes from Montpelier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont