Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 03:08 PM

312 posts, read 355,409 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have just one last question for you all. I know I've asked tons (and tons) of questions, but it's really helped me narrow down what exactly I want in a place. I thought I wanted to stay in Virginia, but I'm beginning to realize (after copious posts) that I was making certain assumptions about it that aren't necessarily true. So, this is my final question for you all (much thanks for all your patience and knowledge--it's helped more than you know).

Here goes: If you live in Vermont (anywhere in VT), how easy is it to access nature (trails, lakes, etc.) from your home? What I mean is, beyond your individual piece of property, are there natural areas (woods, etc.) to walk in and explore that you don't have to get in your car and drive to? I know this might seem like an odd point, but I'm feeling really landlocked where we are right now and I'm looking for a place where we can just walk out our door and, if not enter "the wild," at least be close enough to walk to it. I had thought this sort of thing was a possibility in some of the more rural areas of Virginia, but I'm finding out this is wrong (unless you want to be way, way out. And, even then, it seems like it might be questionable). I don't want to make any more false assumptions so please bear with me for this one last question. Then I'm done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 03:34 PM

809 posts, read 999,248 times
Haven't been much to Vermont, have you? I don't know about the Burlington area, but down here in the semi-tropical paradise of Springfield, a ten-minute walk in just about any direction can put you in the woods.

Lakes? Who needs them? You can develop your own catalogue of swimming holes, finding ones that nobody else knows about.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:06 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,966,395 times
I could be losing my mind but I thought we had discussed this already?

I have trails literally outside my door - on my property, neighbors property, and also about .25 mile down the road that goes onto 200+ acres of private owned land that has trails all over it.

More than that we get into a car for but it's literally 10 minutes to the closest trail network and there are SO many within 20 minutes...and honestly, driving 20 minutes in Vermont is nothing. And unless you're living in a larger town/city, nature is literally all around...all the time. It's kinda freaking fantastic.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:31 PM

Just making sure, guys, just making sure. Trying not to take anything for granted after what turned out to be a big surprise in my assumptions about Virginia. I think we're coming to Vermont!

Now let's keep it to ourselves. Apparently most people don't think this sort of place exists.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:33 PM

And thank you so much!!

Old 12-20-2017, 04:51 PM

83 posts, read 82,542 times
VT isn't a park. You may need to ask around, seek permission or join a club to find the best spots. I see tourists at all our most secluded spots so it's no secret. I hike all over my area (Windham county) and never see anyone. Try mapmyride for ideas. Don't be afraid to pursue your ambitions.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:10 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,525,608 times
If it's not legally posted it's open to hike or hunt so no need to ask permission unless posted. I hate to see the non-New England notion of asking permission at all times to creep into the state. But do use some common sense. It's one thing to walk through a woodlot or a large farm field along a river, another to walk through the backyard of a house. I keep my land open but while I don't care if someone is in the back end of my woods someone hanging out around my cabin is not welcome. And the hunters you bump into in the fall or the May turkey season may very well be the landowner or their relatives. Apart from that there are state parks (generally more developed campground type places with fees during the summer), state forests (largely undeveloped), wildlife management areas (paid for and managed for hunters/trappers/fishermen, open to everyone but be aware of what they're for), as well as of course the Green Mountain National Forest (a patchwork quilt of ownership but a very large area) as well as some national wildlife refuges (some like the Conte are more open with less restrictions than others as for use).

Narrow things down to a town or general part of the state then see what's there. I'd say nature is far more accessible in some parts of the state than others. Essex County VT is way better than Chittenden County in that way, for example, as so much of it is undeveloped but there's plenty of access in Windham, Rutland, Bennington, etc. Counties.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:37 PM

9,481 posts, read 5,262,587 times
Default accessing nature

I think it all depends on exactly where you live. Many schools have hiking trails on or near their property, and those are open to the public. We have rail trails that are semi-paved trails for biking and walking that run for miles, but I have to drive to gain access to it. State Parks, forested areas, and parts of the AT are also accessible, but not 'right out your door,' unless you live very close by. If you have property with your home, you might have or create trails in your own woods (we have 10 acres but have never done that - it's very overgrown and would have required a tremendous amount of work). Do you have an idea of where you'd like to live? Some internet research should reveal where there are trails for specific areas.
I personally would not go walking on someone's property (posted or not) without permission from the landowner. People can be hinky around here. And they don't generally like strangers. I'd bet, though, that no one would tell you no.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:24 PM

11 posts, read 18,332 times
Your question is ridiculous because it is so situational and solely depends on the property you purchase/rent. You can find what you're looking for in any state, including Virginia. It just takes looking at where you're located in proximity to state forests, trust land, national forests/parks.

Take Chittenden county, the biggest hub in VT. You can live completely metro/urban in Burlington or rurally out in Huntington. Just google map properties that interest you with the satellite feature and explore the surrounding area. Good luck

Old 12-21-2017, 04:00 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,973,761 times
I think I posted this for you once before. There are more trails than you can imagine. Many lakes, both large and small. Swimming holes. After-school ski programs. and on and on and on.

https://www.trailfinder.info/trails
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont