Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 11:22 AM

23,637 posts, read 70,592,836 times

Advertisements

The story of one man's fight with the Westford permit process has gone global. I first came across it on WCAX.com, where the picture was intentionally blurred, did a google image search and saw that all of the U.S. news sources had wimped out of showing a picture of the art, and finally found it here:

https://metro.co.uk/2018/12/04/man-e...osses-8207907/

Personally, given the season, I think it would be better with festive colored lights draping it or shining on it , but it is interesting as taunting art. Such art goes all the way back to Egyptians showing their victories over their neighbors as a method of rubbing their noses in it.

Westford is no beauty spot in the state, so maybe the carving adds a bit of class (crass?) to the area. Pelky's fight does show what business is up against in Vermont, for better or for worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 02:22 PM

809 posts, read 1,000,275 times
Maybe it'll help keep out the riffraff.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
Maybe it'll help keep out the riffraff.
LOL! Ever been to Westford???

Old 12-04-2018, 06:35 PM

9,504 posts, read 5,295,637 times
I drove by this monstrosity on my way home this evening. Didn't see it this morning because it wasn't illuminated like it was tonight. At first, I thought it was something pertaining to Christmas. Jeez. Had some friends and we used to flip each other off, and that's what I thought of when I realized what it was, but then thought, oh boy … a neighbor or town feud. I guess you are free to waste your money and be stupid, because I think it's stupid.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:39 PM

542 posts, read 705,403 times
Seems like there must be something more to the story. I understand it is a very small town so you can get town officials with agendas, but if they are blocking something that is legally allowed by the zoning codes?.... they can not prevent fair use of the property. They can make you jump through hoops though and dot all the i's . I would legally go after the town instead of spending $4000 on this if I felt truly wronged. On the other hand he may be zoned residential or agricultural and be looking for a variance. That might be his tough luck. Be interesting to find out.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:52 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,063,024 times
I don't see a pic of it in that article.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Looks like the PC crowd have struck again and it has been edited out. Not terribly surprised, as Britain has some really repressive laws about what can be shown or discussed.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,688,731 times
None of the stories I've seen have been particularly illuminating about the grounds for his complaint. What we do know is that the town has a quasi-judicial body known as the development review board, that they are required to apply the town's zoning ordinance, and that he has a right to appeal a denial.

It's not impossible that there is a personal element to this, but I agree with Squarpeg that he might have found a way to spend four thousand bucks that would have a better chance of getting the decision reversed.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:40 AM

9,504 posts, read 5,295,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There was a picture on Reddit.
The thing is really gross. I mean, don't get me wrong, I can get behind a good FU if done properly but I don't think this is that.
Zoning?? I didn't know VT HAD zoning LOL. That said, I don't know the details, but heard last night that the guy wanted to move his business from another town to his property in Westford and the town said no.
There is a lot of nasty small town politics in this neck of the woods. It's one of the things I dislike about VT and which of course I try to avoid whenever possible!

Old 12-08-2018, 09:47 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,283,902 times
I went online and found the DRB minutes from public meetings regarding this issue and from what it sounds like he wants to contruct a very large building and was not forthcombing with the Board regarding what it would be used for. It also sounds like this is a residential zoning district so large businesses are most likely not allowed in the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont