Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2019, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,115 times

Advertisements

Our lease ends in early March here in Kentucky and we want to relocate to Vermont, Burlington area. My husband is a RN and I telecommute. We want to move and drive a moving truck to Vermont from Kentucky in early March, is it reasonable? Besides the risk of snow storms, is it at all practical or should we postpone our move until April, May?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 07:51 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,780,338 times
Why wouldn't you move in early March? If there is a snowstorm forecast, just delay it by a day or come a day earlier. Snow isn't that big a deal really. Unless it is a significant ice storm or a major blizzard, within a couple hours of the storm ending everything is more or less back to normal.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,115 times
Thanks for the encouragement, I think we will do it. The world doesn't stop because it snows over in Vermont. I know, it is a bit of a gamble with the weather but it usually clears pretty fast on the interstates at least.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:16 AM

809 posts, read 1,002,287 times
If you know how to drive in snow, there's no reason to put it off. If you don't know how, just pull over and wait until the road's been cleared. Just don't let your hubby turn storm driving into a guy thing.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:48 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,442,522 times
Vermont has snow plows and salt/sand trucks. 24 hours after any winter storm, it's black pavement again.

Have you looked at PODS? An 8x8x16 pod from Nashville to Hartford CT was $1,850.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:43 PM

130 posts, read 141,562 times
We moved the bulk of our belongings up to our new home in southern Vt, last March.
Fortunately, we had owned the house for a few months previous, so were able to bring stuff up bit by bit previous to our closing.
But unfortunately, last Feb/March were like the months from winter hell in both Vt and NJ. It was 12 below one week up here, about 0 in NJ, with lotsa snow and wind. We lost power for a week in NJ in early March. Had to come here, grab the generator, as we moved it up to Vermont the week previous, and bring it back to NJ, so we could get inspections done.
On top of the bad weather and power outages, our Vt drive is 900 feet of steep gravel. Partner Alan would plow and sand when he was here, but those last two weeks it got away from us and even the local plow guy had trouble getting it clear.

The final tip of the proverbial iceberg was when Alan and his son drove the last UHaul up with the final big stuff and our VT road was closed to big vehicles! Lol. Never heard of roads closing! So they had to rent a storage space across the river in N.H. and unload truck. Then, not being able to secure an Uber or any sort of ride back to the house, they drove Uhaul back over, left at end of our road and walked 1.5 miles in a snow squall, uphill to our house for the night to check pipes and whatnot.

Lol. Don't be scared though! We just personally had the forces against us that mad month of March 2018. It was just a tough winter in 2 states, this year seems to be a bit mellower. And like the other folks said, you can always pull over somewhere if the weather is bad, and start off after plows come. You'll get here eventually. And if you aren't up a long rural dirt road, with a steep gravel driveway, you'll be in even better shape. But if your road is gravel, check the town road rules for March and heavy vehicles. With mud season around the corner, they need to keep big vehicles off towards spring. And if your driveway is tough, get a reputable plow person to sand/salt/plow before you get there. I made it up our mountain drive on March 19 in my Rav, with the cat and dogs. Poor Alan jackknifed on our steep driveway turn, his overloaded pick up and trailer no match for the 5 inches of ice that accumulated the night before. That great plow guy Joe from down the road came by next day and pulled him out, heaven sent is he.

Anyway, good luck. Watch the weather. Plan alternative/additional stops if need be and Welcome to Vermont!!

Old 02-11-2019, 05:07 PM

64 posts, read 101,877 times
Default U-Box moving.

I've been using U-Box from Uhaul to send stuff from Vermont to Wyoming, it is working out very very well, we had the moving company from Uhaul included. they did everything, filled the boxes and sent them west for us into storage ($70 / month per huge crate storage cost) they will deliver them where ever and whenever we ask for them. worked for us. an idea.

https://www.uhaul.com/UBox/TV/

Old 02-13-2019, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,079 times
My fiancé is a RN at Central Vermont Medicsl Center in Berlin VT. 30 minute drive from Burlington. She chose CVMC over UVMC. Looking into all of their recent strikes and other shenanigans. I'd say keep your options open.

The odds of moving in an actual major snow even are slim. We only have a handful of decent storms per year. Burlington area will generally only get a fraction of what the rest of the state does due to its location. Not to mention, the roads are fair by the time the school busses are out. A weighted down U-haul will do fine in the snow. Many Burlington residents only use Summer tires anyways.

March can either be cold and snowy, or sunny and 60.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:31 AM

9,571 posts, read 5,364,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernborn View Post
I've been using U-Box from Uhaul to send stuff from Vermont to Wyoming, it is working out very very well, we had the moving company from Uhaul included. they did everything, filled the boxes and sent them west for us into storage ($70 / month per huge crate storage cost) they will deliver them where ever and whenever we ask for them. worked for us. an idea.

https://www.uhaul.com/UBox/TV/
So you moved or are moving from VT to WY? We visited Jackson Hole, Cody, and Dubois and wandered around that entire area. Even side-tracked to Star Valley (touted as a great retirement community) but none of these areas was very appealing to us. That said, I'd like to return and check out other areas in that state.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:57 AM

6 posts, read 6,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeThePlowGuy View Post
My fiancé is a RN at Central Vermont Medicsl Center in Berlin VT. 30 minute drive from Burlington. She chose CVMC over UVMC. Looking into all of their recent strikes and other shenanigans. I'd say keep your options open.

The odds of moving in an actual major snow even are slim. We only have a handful of decent storms per year. Burlington area will generally only get a fraction of what the rest of the state does due to its location. Not to mention, the roads are fair by the time the school busses are out. A weighted down U-haul will do fine in the snow. Many Burlington residents only use Summer tires anyways.

March can either be cold and snowy, or sunny and 60.
CVMC is a part of the UVM Health Network

Last edited by Tahho; 03-26-2019 at 02:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont