Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 04:29 PM

723 posts, read 1,004,177 times

Advertisements

Interested in learning as much as I can about Bennington. I read that there are three breweries, that pottery is a big part of the culture. That it is a college area and that it is where the three states meet at the top of the Berkshires. Does anyone know who the cable provider is? Any other interesting facts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 07:06 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,194 times
Bennington is arguably the most historic town in VT. It was settled long before most of the state and it was the center of Revolutionary War activity. In 1778 Tories in Vermont had their properties seized and confiscated with most of them then be sent to jail in Bennington. The Battle of Bennington was fought just across the border in NY.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:54 PM

723 posts, read 1,004,177 times
Default Sounds awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Bennington is arguably the most historic town in VT. It was settled long before most of the state and it was the center of Revolutionary War activity. In 1778 Tories in Vermont had their properties seized and confiscated with most of them then be sent to jail in Bennington. The Battle of Bennington was fought just across the border in NY.
looking forward to visiting

Old 01-07-2019, 07:57 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
People either like or hate Bennington. It has its ups and downs. Definitely visit the village of Old Bennington. Anytime I'm in the area I'll go through there and I'm always glad when I see the rather decrepit Walloomsac Inn is still standing. The old Walloomsac Inn (not open to the public) was once visited by Thomas Jefferson and James Madison when VT became a state. https://benningtonmuseum.org/library...oomsac-inn.pdf

Old 01-08-2019, 02:32 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
I like Bennington a lot. It's very real and diverse - part townie, part college town, part arty hippie, part, libertarian, part tourist. Pretty and historic, but a not as sanitized and touristy as some Vermont towns.

This is what I like.

I also like Bennington's location in SW Vermont. It's a convenient location to many places - from Boston, to NYC, to the Cape, the Berkshires and a lot of other places. Bennington is not just a place to flee - because there is much to do there, as others have mentioned. But, I do like the fact that it is not isolated.

It's an authentic small town, with lots of natural and architectural beauty. New England poet Robert Frost is buried in one of the church yards there, which also gives historic tours.

I think it's a pretty and unpretentious place.

We spent quite a bit of time there, when my daughter was applying to Bennington College. While she decided to attend college elsewhere, we developed an affection for the area.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I like Bennington a lot. It's very real and diverse - part townie, part college town, part arty hippie, part, libertarian, part tourist. Pretty and historic, but a not as sanitized and touristy as some Vermont towns.

This is what I like.

I also like Bennington's location in SW Vermont. It's a convenient location to many places - from Boston, to NYC, to the Cape, the Berkshires and a lot of other places. Bennington is not just a place to flee - because there is much to do there, as others have mentioned. But, I do like the fact that it is not isolated.

It's an authentic small town, with lots of natural and architectural beauty. New England poet Robert Frost is buried in one of the church yards there, which also gives historic tours.

I think it's a pretty and unpretentious place.

We spent quite a bit of time there, when my daughter was applying to Bennington College. While she decided to attend college elsewhere, we developed an affection for the area.
Well said. I live well north of Bennington but my son lives there and so I get down there often. We like to eat at Madison Brewing Co. which is in the center of town. I have no intention of leaving my property & current community but when I keel over one day my wife will likely move to Bennington.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Well said. I live well north of Bennington but my son lives there and so I get down there often. We like to eat at Madison Brewing Co. which is in the center of town. I have no intention of leaving my property & current community but when I keel over one day my wife will likely move to Bennington.
Coincidence - my son lives in Brattleboro, and has been taking about moving out of VT since 2016. Hasn't happened yet.

We think he's a "lifer".

We are also eyeing Bennington as a final retirement destination. I love the town and it's all around small town unpretentiousness.

I have family and friends in MA, VT, CT, NH, Upper NYS, the Hudson Valley, NYC, Boston and the Cape. I really wouldn't be more that 3.5 -4 hours from ANYONE - or they from me. Where else can you find THAT?

I like different types of people and I am truly open minded. I am a pescatarian (eat only fish) yet, I have no issues with people who hunt domestically for food. I understand it. As long as they respect the animals they kill. I don't have a gun here, because I have REALLY no need for one. 911 comes in literally 2 minutes. In VT? Not always so.

We might own a gun in VT. Cell phones don't always work.

Bennington is a small town that reminds me of where I grew up - Oyster Bay NY. Middle class, working class, upper class, townies ( not meant to be derogatory, just folks with deep roots in the town - in Oyster Bay, going back to 1663, I think. I amused to that mixture, and I like it.

There are some towns in VT that are great to visit - but they are almost like Disney's version of New England and they are literally parodies of themselves. Don't get me wrong - fun to visit and so pretty - but live there? Nope. Also, over priced.

I like to travel and do what I like. You need money to do that. So I never want to be "house poor". Ever.

Also thinking about an Air BnB. Or something similar.

Wouldn't mind spending Feb. - or a few weeks of it - in FL.

With a Bennington move, that - and other travel would be very possible.

Glad to here there's a good craft brewery in Bennington. Maybe during my next visit to VT, we can all get together.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:15 AM

sheena12, I go down to Oyster Bay once a year for two family historical association functions and am somewhat familiar with it after many years of going there. While the village proper might has some economic and other diversity, the wealth surrounding it is staggering by any definition and colors life there. One of the functions involves a cemetery outside of the village and living in a little hamlet as I do here in VT I am incredulous at the endless mansions and estates I pass. I do like downtown Oyster Bay but I could never live there. Too crowded, too expensive (only place I have ever eaten a $25 hamburger), and with levels of local govt bureaucracy most in Vermont have never even conceived of. I know the bureaucracy part on account of being a Trustee of that cemetery

Bennington on the other hand is real and would suit me just fine at a cultural and day to day living level.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
sheena12, I go down to Oyster Bay once a year for two family historical association functions and am somewhat familiar with it after many years of going there. While the village proper might has some economic and other diversity, the wealth surrounding it is staggering by any definition and colors life there. One of the functions involves a cemetery outside of the village and living in a little hamlet as I do here in VT I am incredulous at the endless mansions and estates I pass. I do like downtown Oyster Bay but I could never live there. Too crowded, too expensive (only place I have ever eaten a $25 hamburger), and with levels of local govt bureaucracy most in Vermont have never even conceived of. I know the bureaucracy part on account of being a Trustee of that cemetery

Bennington on the other hand is real and would suit me just fine at a cultural and day to day living level.
Oyster Bay has changed - alas, and not for the better. I still love the town - it's "My Home Town" - but I guess when I speak of OB, I think of the 1960s, 70s and 80s when I grew up there, and sadly, was priced out.

You could get a GOOD burger, fries, coleslaw, pickles and a milk shake at the Sweet Shop on South St. for under 2 bucks. Maybe three in the 80s. Their ice cream was home made.

Italian Ice at a place called Chick's. made from real lemon.

Down by the rail road, there was affordable housing for folks who worked at estates.

We had a few restaurants, all moderately priced. An old fashioned Memorial Day Parade. Two Beaches. A Bird Sanctuary, Historic places like Raynham Hall and Sagamore Hill - Teddy Roosevelt's Summer house. Lot's of Mom and Pop stores.

"Townies" spoke with a New England accent (I know, hard to believe, but they did) We had black churches, a historic White Holy Roller church, a society Episcopal and Presbyterian church a Conservative Temple, A Catholic Church and School and a Methodist Church.

The Oyster Festival draws many Baymen (OBJSHS team) back each year. I try to go every few years.

However, I don't know many people who can afford to live in a place where "starter houses" begin at $400K.

A lot of the more affordable places have been leveled or yupified.

Billy Joel sang about Oyster Bay in several of his early songs. He is not from OB. He's from Hicksville. He has a bike shop there now.

It's sad when you can't afford to live where you grew up.

Why do you go there each year?

Old 01-12-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Why do you go there each year?
Family roots from the 1600's celebrated via a genealogical and historical society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont