Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 07:25 AM

5,457 posts, read 4,074,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
But it isn't. You need multiple IDs and an address. Without them, you are not getting the job.
Well, a chain drugstore in the Upper Valley recently posted "If you can breath on a mirror and fog it up, we'll hire you." And the social service agencies will help with receiving mail, etc. Probably help you get an ID as well.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:31 AM

542 posts, read 704,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
But it isn't. You need multiple IDs and an address. Without them, you are not getting the job.
I am going to say you are probably correct in needing an address and an ID, but I am also going to say, albeit I have not checked this personally, that if you were in this situation, where you had to beg for money, and you didn't have a residence, that in Brattleboro there would be assistance to help organize these issues and rise out of that situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 02:29 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,519,981 times
GroundWorks will let you use their address and assist you getting photo ID...same with Our Place in BF and both will help with employment. Both Org.'s will give a caseworker to assist with these and other needs like housing, transportation and GW can arrange a voucher for shoes or boots, food banks at both and IF needed assistance with EBT or Social Security. Also they can assist with counseling for mental health, substance issues and for Vets.

Old 08-17-2021, 05:43 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,400,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
Just back from brattleboro this morning. Went to Brueggers Bagels up at the exit one plaza. So there is a guy standing outside begging for money from anyone coming and going. I am sitting in my car having coffee and he sees me, comes over and asks for money. I get it, it is not illegal. This is a young guy, he looks really fit, well built, wearing a gold chain. Aside from some torn shorts he looks well kept. Now all around town are signs practically begging for people to work. There is a big sign out front of fulflex saying hiring starting 17-22hr. This type of wage is available to anyone who wants to work. Yes I am a Liberal and no I did not give that guy a dime. Pisses me off.
He doesn't want a job, he wants heroin (or similar).

Old 08-18-2021, 08:44 AM

12,064 posts, read 8,464,342 times
I offer to drive them to Social Services and help them get signed up. And I will gladly.

Never had a taker.

Old 08-19-2021, 04:29 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,918,726 times
I have noticed a lot of people who grew up in the upper valley of VT/NH staying to work after college or returning to raise their families. Also a lot of Dartmouth alumns in the area as well, coding from their homes in the woods with EC fiber. I do think it’s rare for the rest of the state, including Burlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont