Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 01:28 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times

Advertisements

Our son is basically never coming "home" - Ohio. We have friends all over New England and the North East.

This endeavor may take a year or two, for a number of reasons. However, VT is our focus for retirement.

We are more interested in southern VT, since we have friends in other parts of New England, NYC, and Eastern upstate NY.
We KNOW Vermont is cold, just don't want it to be any colder than is necessary.

We are also thinking of Keene NH, which our son thinks we would like and fit into. I have only been to Keene on a day trip. But this is not that forum.

1. Is it impossible to find a home with a finished basement?

2, What about a basement at all that can be finished?

3. Where we have looked, ranches and raised ranches appear to be rare. We are looking for a home that is easy to live in and maintain. We don't think a condo would work because of our dogs and cat.

4. Are two full baths also rare?

5. And fenced yards? Also rare?

We are in no hurry. We have no time limit to move - that is why we are starting now.

Mostly, we know the villages that connect Bennington to Brattleboro. (Rt.9)

We don't want to be "in the middle of no place" yet we know that this is exactly what attracts many Vermonters and future Vermonters to the state. We love the scenic beauty and the seasons, even the first half of winter. We are hoping to spend that part of winter in a warmer clime. We'd do this if we were living in OH, where we now live, or NY, our home state.

Anything north of Rt.9 is an unknown quantity. So we are open to suggestions of all sorts.

Is this allowed? Is anyone a realtor or knows of a good realtor? You may send me a direct message.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 08:45 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,388,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Our son is basically never coming "home" - Ohio. We have friends all over New England and the North East.

This endeavor may take a year or two, for a number of reasons. However, VT is our focus for retirement.

We are more interested in southern VT, since we have friends in other parts of New England, NYC, and Eastern upstate NY.

We are also thinking of Keene NH, which our son thinks we would like and fit into. I have only been to Keene on a day trip. But this is not that forum.

3. Where we have looked, ranches and raised ranches appear to be rare. We are looking for a home that is easy to live in and maintain. We don't think a condo would work because of our dogs and cat.

We are in no hurry. We have no time limit to move - that is why we are starting now.

We don't want to be "in the middle of no place" yet we know that this is exactly what attracts many Vermonters and future Vermonters to the state. We love the scenic beauty and the seasons, even the first half of winter. We are hoping to spend that part of winter in a warmer clime. We'd do this if we were living in OH, where we now live, or NY, our home state.

Anything north of Rt.9 is an unknown quantity. So we are open to suggestions of all sorts.

Is this allowed? Is anyone a realtor or knows of a good realtor? You may send me a direct message.

Thank you!
We've been looking at a move to VT for a long time, too, but from CO. We were planning to wait until next year, but I think we are at the top of the market to sell now, so we have initiated the process. We've spent countless hours researching properties and areas. Like you, we are interested in the Brattleboro area, but also Keene is nice.

We like the thought of the southern areas of both states because of the relative closeness to NYC, Boston, as well as the coastal areas. The prices are just amazing to us compared to CO, where we can sell our ranch home and get 30-90 acres with a seemingly wonderful old farmhouse and barn and the whole thing for the same price.

As soon as our investment property sells, we will be heading up to look for an exchange, then put our house on the market too. We are so sick of the constant growth here, with highway expansions, massive tract housing, strip malls, and all the rest that goes along with it.

Hope you all the best!

Old 05-26-2020, 01:20 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,279,643 times
Quote:

Thank you!
What size house and acreage are you looking for? Two full baths and a basement (not finished) should be easy to find. Dorset is a nice area, near the NY border.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:22 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
We've been looking at a move to VT for a long time, too, but from CO. We were planning to wait until next year, but I think we are at the top of the market to sell now, so we have initiated the process. We've spent countless hours researching properties and areas. Like you, we are interested in the Brattleboro area, but also Keene is nice.

We like the thought of the southern areas of both states because of the relative closeness to NYC, Boston, as well as the coastal areas. The prices are just amazing to us compared to CO, where we can sell our ranch home and get 30-90 acres with a seemingly wonderful old farmhouse and barn and the whole thing for the same price.

As soon as our investment property sells, we will be heading up to look for an exchange, then put our house on the market too. We are so sick of the constant growth here, with highway expansions, massive tract housing, strip malls, and all the rest that goes along with it.

Hope you all the best!
I dislike all of the things that you mention. Sprawl. Strip malls. Unneeded growth, light pollution. All of it.

When I cross the border of NYS to VT, I feel a difference. The sky is like dark blue velvet, pierced with stars. I love that. It's so peaceful.

We are also open to the southern part of both states. Even the northern part of Massachusetts. We don't have a specific type of house in mind - consider us open. As with most transplants to the area, we would love a good view, maybe a stream, access to hiking trails, and Mountains.

We also like the proximity of lakes, state parks, and even ocean beaches.

New England, as opposed to Colorado and California, comes with a lower price tag.

I also love the history, ethics, and charm of New England. Realy, it is unlike anywhere in the US. We also like the relative proximity of NYC and Boston.
Who knows? Maybe we'll be neighbors.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I dislike all of the things that you mention. Sprawl. Strip malls. Unneeded growth, light pollution. All of it.

When I cross the border of NYS to VT, I feel a difference. The sky is like dark blue velvet, pierced with stars. I love that. It's so peaceful.

We are also open to the southern part of both states. Even the northern part of Massachusetts. We don't have a specific type of house in mind - consider us open. As with most transplants to the area, we would love a good view, maybe a stream, access to hiking trails, and Mountains.

We also like the proximity of lakes, state parks, and even ocean beaches.

New England, as opposed to Colorado and California, comes with a lower price tag.

I also love the history, ethics, and charm of New England. Realy, it is unlike anywhere in the US. We also like the relative proximity of NYC and Boston.
Who knows? Maybe we'll be neighbors.
We love Colorado and have a good quality of life here, but the growth along the Front Range is just out of control and I want a more peaceful existence. We have a place in southern Colorado that we visit often and rent out on Airbnb, but this area is too rural and quiet for me. I like rural New England because you're never too far from a village and civilization.

We are looking for a larger piece of land with a solid older home, big barn, etc with the ultimate goal being to start a kimchi and other fermented foods business - my partner is Korean, so we are taking into consideration proximity to farmers' markets, coops, etc.

We also love the climate of Colorado in many ways, particularly the aridity and the fact that we don't have to use air conditioning, but I also miss rain, greenery, etc.

I hope you find a great place! Will have to keep in touch!

Old 05-27-2020, 05:51 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,965,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post

We also love the climate of Colorado in many ways, particularly the aridity and the fact that we don't have to use air conditioning, but I also miss rain, greenery, etc.
High of 90 here yesterday, repeating today and part of tomorrow too. You're gonna want air conditioning.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
High of 90 here yesterday, repeating today and part of tomorrow too. You're gonna want air conditioning.
Yes, I grew up in the Midwest, so I am used to humidity too, and realize I will need AC there as well. I like not having to use AC in Colorado, but it's an acceptable tradeoff.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:45 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,414,544 times
Quote:

I get that feeling on 91 leaving Mass and entering into VT. A feeling of calm comes over you as the highway gets much less crowded and the views turn to rolling hills, forests, farms, and rivers.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:47 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,889,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
i get that feeling on 91 leaving mass and entering into vt. A feeling of calm comes over you as the highway gets much less crowded and the views turn to rolling hills, forests, farms, and rivers.
lol

Old 05-27-2020, 09:53 PM

11 posts, read 14,789 times
We can always tell the moment we leave Vermont. Part of that feeling you get comes from a lack of billboards. VT has none. Everyone else does and they absolutely ruin the beauty of the landscape. We moved to VT around a decade ago and have no regrets. We live in central VT. We selected this area because we found a great piece of property with an 1840 farmhouse. We also like being within 20-30 minutes of the state capital (Montpelier). We are an hour from Dartmouth and an hour from Burlington, so it is a nice balance. I can drive to Boston in three hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont