Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2020, 06:28 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times

Advertisements

I'm heading to Bar Harbor and Acadia NP in Maine next week. I've accepted the fact that it's a very long drive and there's no easy or direct way to go from Vermont. Google sends me down the highways through southern NH (89-93-101) then back up 95 into Maine for the best timing even though it adds more miles. Most direct is route 2 all the way to 95 just before Bangor.

Since it's a long ride anyway, I can make time to take a scenic route. Thinking I might clip up to Rangeley and Dixville Notch before heading back through the NE Kingdom. Or maybe route 2 through western Maine is more scenic? Wondering if anyone has any preferred routes to Maine, be it the most practical or the most scenic ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 07:47 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Go through the Kancamagus Scenic Byway in New Hampshire. It goes through the White Mountain National Forest with great views of the White Mountains.

Old 09-03-2020, 06:56 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
The last time I went to Maine for a conference in Portland a few years ago I took the Interstate down because I was picking someone up around Bethel and the scenic route back. Not enough time difference to be significant.

As I get my directions from Montpelier to Bar Harbor it appears to be faster to take Route 2, as well as a nicer drive, so I would say no contest.

Old 09-03-2020, 01:59 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
I'm making a stop in Freeport before Bar Harbor, thinking I might take the Kancamagus on the way there. I'll definitely skip the highways.

On the way back Route 2 makes the most sense, wasn't sure how scenic it was. I saw another option through Rangeley, Maine and Dixville Notch, NH before traversing the NE Kingdom on 105 back to St. A. Looks like it could be a nice route and doesn't add much time, but wasn't sure if its as or more scenic than route 2.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:14 PM

208 posts, read 210,590 times
Used to live in north-central Maine and visit relatives in central and southern VT. Went Rt 2 all of the time. Lots of little towns to drive through, speed limits go up to 55 and down to 30 and up to 55 again as you go through towns. Not really a lot of congestion and some scenic areas near the mountains as you drive through NH. From Lancaster NH through to St J its all hills and winding roads, as is a lot of the rest of Rt 2. We'd drive right through to I-91 then get on that and head south. Coming back we'd take Rt 2 right to the town we lived in, but you can keep going and get onto I-95 in Newport ME. Happy trails.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:49 AM

304 posts, read 151,438 times
I've driven from upstate NY near the Vermont border to Midcoast Maine and back numerous times. By far the most scenic route is basically Route 2 across New Hampshire into Maine, though I would suggest backroading it over to Augusta and then to Rockland and doing Route 1 up the coast the rest of the way to Acadia. Route 1 along the coast is just gorgeous. By far the fastest route is to take the super highway route, especially during the summer when the backroads are full of RVs going slow looking for places to stop, or in bad weather. Bring paper maps too in case you lose cell phone service, and the big map helps you plan out your route because you can get a much bigger picture. I find Google's directions can get confusing when winding through a network of backroads--they don't always follow the most logical or direct route, and if you suddenly lose cellphone coverage you can be dropped in the middle of nowhere. Google's directions are much better for interstate driving.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:17 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
My mother's family was from Mount Desert Island and we spent a lot of time there when we were kids. Hubby & I went back there a few years ago and it was basically a tourist trap-with the prices that match. You should go to Schoodic Point-which is the northern part of Acadia. It is just as beautiful but not as much traffic.

Also, if you want to take a drive down Route 1 to Belfast, stop at Perry's Nut House. They have THE BEST fudge in the world. (You can also buy it on-line. Perry's Nut House of Belfast, Maine - Fudge, Nuts, Gifts & Toys )

And getting there-Route 2 is the way to go.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: