Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 10:03 AM

154 posts, read 230,212 times

Advertisements

Ethiopian Resettlement Contractor Wants More Refugees In Small Town Vermont

I don't see how this benefits the townspeople of Brattleboro. Judging by some of the recent posts I've read about Brattleboro, they have some problems to tend to already without adding migrants to the mix.
Is it really a charity if you are using taxpayer money to bring people to America and place them in towns for the taxpayers to take care of?

The Ethiopian Community Development Council receives nearly $13,000,000 from the federal government.
The President, Tsehaye Teferra, is paid six figures.
This does nothing to improve the situation for the people of Ethiopia, either. If someone cares that much about Ethiopians, they should raise the money themselves and do something over there in terms of education, sustainable agriculture and industry suitable to the region. They are not going to stop having children just because we bring their people here. Are we just supposed to keep taking them indefinitely now?

Old 06-19-2021, 01:44 PM

9,439 posts, read 5,204,944 times
I just read a story about this in Seven Days. While I have no problem with refugee resettlement when it benefits both the refugee and the community to which they migrate, I wonder what skills such a group brings with them, because if they don't have any real marketable skills, for our area, what happens then? Do they receive state government assistance or some of the 13 million from the feds? I don't think unskilled populations should be settled in high cost areas (like VT and others) w/out viable ways to support themselves and I don't really think taxpayers should be on the hook for their education and financial subsidies, if there are any.

Other countries (via US immigration) have programs such as Temporary Protected Status, and, say for Syrians, come bringing education and marketable skills with them. I don't know much about Ethiopians.

Old 06-21-2021, 07:28 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,174,862 times
Biden administration is transporting the illegals all over the interior and never even considering the burden this places on the native inhabitants. Lewiston, Maine is an example of what can happen.

https://apnews.com/article/us-news-a...&utm_medium=ap

Old 06-21-2021, 10:15 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
International politics intrudes on all communities, like it or not. The world changes, like it or not. Sometimes the change is a migration of jobs out of the country. Sometimes the actual equipment used in those jobs is shipped out as well. Other times, cherry picked refugees are allowed in to a community and given a chance to live and go through the naturalization process.

Take a look at the requirements for U.S. citizenship that outsiders have to navigate sometime. Take a look at the requirements to be able to just get into this country. I can just about guarantee that if you compared an sized equal group of our own veterans who now live homeless on the street and a group of those highly vetted refugees, you would have far less social disruption from the refugees. They literally don't dare to step one step out of line for fear of deportation and almost certain death.

And only the grossly uninformed and trolls conflate "illegals" and the government sponsored refugees. Those are two entirely different groups. I strongly recommend reading "Outcasts United" about the refugee experience in small town Georgia. It is an eye opener, to say the least.

What I find ironic about this thread is that Vermont and New Hampshire have had influxes of refugees in the past that were far more disruptive and barely vetted, if at all. Let's see... there are all the devoutly Catholic Italian stonecutters who became a "burden" on Barre Vermont, the Fenians that raised havoc in New Hampshire while becoming members of the community, The French Canadians who took over Winooski Vermont, the Germans and Scandis that liked to strap boards to their feet to travel on snow in winter, the Russian Jews who built the town of Burlington into a city, the mix of Irish, Italian, and others who built the railroads.

At each influx, there was tremendous whinging and gnashing of teeth, mostly by recidivists who had to tread carefully to avoid more inbreeding in their closely knit family groups. History repeats itself.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:12 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,905 times
Not to quibble, but the early Italian stone cutters came mainly from Northern Italy and were, on the whole, not devout Catholics. Several protestant religions even targeted Barre's Italian community for missionary work because of their know aversion to Catholicism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
International politics intrudes on all communities, like it or not. The world changes, like it or not. Sometimes the change is a migration of jobs out of the country. Sometimes the actual equipment used in those jobs is shipped out as well. Other times, cherry picked refugees are allowed in to a community and given a chance to live and go through the naturalization process.

Take a look at the requirements for U.S. citizenship that outsiders have to navigate sometime. Take a look at the requirements to be able to just get into this country. I can just about guarantee that if you compared an sized equal group of our own veterans who now live homeless on the street and a group of those highly vetted refugees, you would have far less social disruption from the refugees. They literally don't dare to step one step out of line for fear of deportation and almost certain death.

And only the grossly uninformed and trolls conflate "illegals" and the government sponsored refugees. Those are two entirely different groups. I strongly recommend reading "Outcasts United" about the refugee experience in small town Georgia. It is an eye opener, to say the least.

What I find ironic about this thread is that Vermont and New Hampshire have had influxes of refugees in the past that were far more disruptive and barely vetted, if at all. Let's see... there are all the devoutly Catholic Italian stonecutters who became a "burden" on Barre Vermont, the Fenians that raised havoc in New Hampshire while becoming members of the community, The French Canadians who took over Winooski Vermont, the Germans and Scandis that liked to strap boards to their feet to travel on snow in winter, the Russian Jews who built the town of Burlington into a city, the mix of Irish, Italian, and others who built the railroads.

At each influx, there was tremendous whinging and gnashing of teeth, mostly by recidivists who had to tread carefully to avoid more inbreeding in their closely knit family groups. History repeats itself.

Old 06-22-2021, 11:10 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Not to quibble, but the early Italian stone cutters came mainly from Northern Italy and were, on the whole, not devout Catholics. Several protestant religions even targeted Barre's Italian community for missionary work because of their know aversion to Catholicism.
And in further recollecting, many of the Jewish population in the state came from Poland. Your point is a good one, although it has to be taken in the context of the times, when "Papist" was a swear word in the state. Even if the stonecutters were not devout, the community would have commonalities, such as language and customs, that would seem exclusionary.

Other groups of "outsiders" were home grown. A start of the Mormon faith was in Vermont. Spiritualists were seen as tricksters and generally shunned. Vermonters were enamored with eugenics, and Stowe would much rather everyone forget the "Ski Heil!" banner that once crossed Main Street. Let us not forget the hippies that moved to the state and the reaction to them by the conservative citizens.

There is a natural fear of outsiders, there is a natural resistance to change. Over time, most groups either assimilate or come to be accepted within communities. That process is not helped by the types of fear-mongering that built the klan.

Old 06-23-2021, 04:58 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,897,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Biden administration is transporting the illegals all over the interior and never even considering the burden this places on the native inhabitants. Lewiston, Maine is an example of what can happen.

https://apnews.com/article/us-news-a...&utm_medium=ap
Why would you bring up Biden? This has been going on for decades.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:04 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Why would you bring up Biden? This has been going on for decades.
He mentioned it because that is what Biden is doing. I haven't heard of any other President that has opened the border, letting illegals pour into our border at this scale. He is even inviting the ones that were sent back and paying their travel expenses. So that is why he mentioned Biden.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Harry, in the second paragraph you state that US citizenship is highly vetted and the refugees wouldn't dare step out of line. Then further down you state that VT and NH had influxes of refugees that were disruptive and barely vetted. Please explain.

Also, the European refugees you mention came to this country and weren't a burden on the already burdened taxpayers. Don't you feel we need to take care of the needs of our own before we help others, especially now when so many people are struggling?

Old 06-24-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjazz View Post
Ethiopian Resettlement Contractor Wants More Refugees In Small Town Vermont

I don't see how this benefits the townspeople of Brattleboro. Judging by some of the recent posts I've read about Brattleboro, they have some problems to tend to already without adding migrants to the mix.
Is it really a charity if you are using taxpayer money to bring people to America and place them in towns for the taxpayers to take care of?

The Ethiopian Community Development Council receives nearly $13,000,000 from the federal government.
The President, Tsehaye Teferra, is paid six figures.
This does nothing to improve the situation for the people of Ethiopia, either. If someone cares that much about Ethiopians, they should raise the money themselves and do something over there in terms of education, sustainable agriculture and industry suitable to the region. They are not going to stop having children just because we bring their people here. Are we just supposed to keep taking them indefinitely now?
Thank you for passing on that website.

I feel it is unfair that Governor Scott portrays himself as part of the Republican party, when he does not stand for conservative values. True conservatives are not given the right they deserve to vote for what they stand for. Scott has proven many times to be a RINO. In the long run, I guess it doesn't matter because if he vetoes a bill, the House Progressives go over his head. So the Governor has lost the power to run the state. Governor Scott made one of the top 18 corrupt Governors in the US. He has asked the Federal Gov't to send more refugees to settle into Vermont at taxpayer's expense.

I read a post in another thread (I think MA), that a person has no problem with higher taxes to pay for others. I don't feel that is the answer. If this person has the means to help others financially, he should go the way of donating to the causes he is passionate about. But to vote for a politician that will be a drain on your neighbor's income, does not make for a caring neighbor.

So mjaxx, I understand and totally agree with you. We are going in a bad direction for the state of VT and for the country. The gov't loves spending money they don't have and the future is looking bleak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont