Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 08:11 PM

6 posts, read 14,343 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Does anyone know the answer to the following as far as taxes and laws. I am a NH resident and bought a new car sales tax free recently in NH. Just bought a house in VT, waiting for closing date. If I move there within 60 days of car purchase, and I attempt to register car in VT will they try to make me pay sales tax since I bought car pretty recently?

Thanks for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2021, 06:26 AM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
yes, you pay the tax where the car is registered not where it was bought.

Old 09-20-2021, 06:09 PM

6 posts, read 14,343 times
Hi Skeddy and thanks for replying,
I do not mean car registration taxes and fees. I mean the car purchase in New Hampshire just a few weeks before moving to new home in Vermont. I wonder if Vermont will try to collect SALES TAX on the purchase of the vehicle when I establish residency in Vermont, saying the car purchase was so recent to the move that I now owe Vermont sales tax of $2500.

Anyone have any idea how that works?

Old 09-20-2021, 06:19 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
All the info is on the DMV website https://dmv.vermont.gov/tax-title/vehicle-taxation
So yes, since NH does not have a sales tax, you will have to pay it when you register your car in VT.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:52 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times
Do they compare your bill fo sale to what they think the car is worth in VT? In MA they do that and choose the higher amount but MA has excise tax so they probably have a robust data base.

But yes, you will pay sales tax unless you can prove you paid it to your last state which in the case of NH you didn’t.

Old 09-21-2021, 05:04 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealy_00 View Post
Hi Skeddy and thanks for replying,
I do not mean car registration taxes and fees. I mean the car purchase in New Hampshire just a few weeks before moving to new home in Vermont. I wonder if Vermont will try to collect SALES TAX on the purchase of the vehicle when I establish residency in Vermont, saying the car purchase was so recent to the move that I now owe Vermont sales tax of $2500.

Anyone have any idea how that works?
Generally, you pay sales tax on the blue book value of the car. I’ve done NH to VT but the car was 3 or 4 years old. I’d guess on a car bought new within a few weeks, you would pay tax based on the bill of sale when you bought the car. Vermont motor vehicles is very responsive. Call them and ask.

Old 09-21-2021, 05:10 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Yup. Just had the wonderful experience. You will pays Vermont sales tax when you register the car in Vermont. It hurts !

Old 09-22-2021, 01:06 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Yes, when I moved to Vermont from Michigan in 1983 I had to pay the use tax on the value of the car at that time, with no allowance for the sales tax I paid in Michigan.

Then another lawyer who had had the same experience sued the state of Vermont and won, and I was able to get a refund.

So if you buy a vehicle in another state and pay a sales tax there you will get credit to your Vermont use tax. Of course, you don't get the benefit of this if you didn't pay a sales tax where you bought it.

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supre...rt/472/14.html

Old 09-22-2021, 01:50 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
One more reason NOT to move to Vermont.

Sorry, OP, I know that sounds facetious, but geez ... you were a New Hampshire resident when you bought a car in New Hampshire, but you move and you have to pay SALES TAX on it in your new state -- even though you DID NOT buy it there? What a money-grab. (Or I guess they call it USE TAX to distinguish it from SALES TAX? Hmmm. )

Maybe I've lived in New Hampshire too long, but I find that pretty appalling.

Old 09-23-2021, 04:43 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
One more reason NOT to move to Vermont.

Sorry, OP, I know that sounds facetious, but geez ... you were a New Hampshire resident when you bought a car in New Hampshire, but you move and you have to pay SALES TAX on it in your new state -- even though you DID NOT buy it there? What a money-grab. (Or I guess they call it USE TAX to distinguish it from SALES TAX? Hmmm. )

Maybe I've lived in New Hampshire too long, but I find that pretty appalling.
Not really. I had property in both NH and Vermont. I used to game it. The crossover is at 3 years. It was cheaper to pay 3 years of property tax and high registration costs in Portsmouth NH and then pay the sales tax in Vermont on the blue book value of the car in Vermont. Vermont doesn’t require residency to get green plates. I always had one new NH car and one older VT car in the driveway. With today’s crazy used car prices, the math is probably different but it’s certainly cheaper to own an older car in Vermont than New Hampshire. Registration is much cheaper and the inspection fee isn’t a big expense. Insurance is similar.

Back in the day, Vermont used to cap vehicle sales tax at $20k. If you drove a really expensive car, Vermont was cheaper than NH if you owned the car for several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont