Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 08:43 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,805,921 times

Advertisements

The wife and I are staying at the Deerhill Inn in West Dover in late July. Any suggestions for things to do, places to eat? We don’t mind driving up to 3 hours for a day trip while we’re there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 07:20 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,275,005 times
What are your interests? Hiking? History? Kayaking?

Old 03-05-2022, 07:28 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,805,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
What are your interests? Hiking? History? Kayaking?
Historical, sight-seeing, hiking, dining

Old 03-05-2022, 09:33 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,275,005 times
Plenty of hiking in the area...your innkeeper should be able to recommend some good ones. I'm not familiar with trails in that part of the state.
For history, head over to the Bennington/Manchester area. The Bennington Battle Monument and Bennington Museum are nice spots. The Bennington Battlefield is just over the state line in Hoosick NY. Up in Manchester is Hildene, summer home of Robert Todd LIncoln. If the weather is nice, drive to the top of Mt. Equinox.
I would also suggest taking a leisurely drive north on Route 100. Go as far as you'd like, but my favorite stretch is between Killington and Waitsfield.
You could also go visit the Calvin Coolidge Homestead in Plymouth.
Many visitors love Woodstock. It's a picture perfect village (I call in VT Disneyland). Billings Farm & Museum is a good stop as is the Billings National Historic Park. Nice light hiking right in the village on Mt. Tom.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:20 AM

23,608 posts, read 70,476,785 times
VTER's choices are excellent.

If you are into history, and willing to drive up to three hours, the Shelburne Museum is an obvious place to visit, but it would be better handled with an overnight in the Burlington area and a two day perusal of the grounds. Ft. Ticonderoga is a little closer.

Old 04-17-2022, 12:22 PM

13 posts, read 9,832 times
Actually in MA - but an interesting state park - Natural Bridge State Park in North Adams MA . Google Maps has it at 41 min from your Inn
https://www.mass.gov/locations/natur...dge-state-park
Some history on the mining of marble; mostly a walk along the river and former mining sites

Old 04-18-2022, 01:49 PM

24,560 posts, read 18,299,405 times
Woodstock is 90 minutes from Mount Snow. I’d think sticking to southern Vermont would be less of an automobile marathon. I can’t imagine driving Route 100 from Killington to Waitsfield starting from West Dover. I’d stick to the Brattleboro, Manchester, Bennington triangle.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:57 AM

3,278 posts, read 1,758,138 times
I don't know if Rt 100 is an official scenic drive but it's known as the "Skiers Highway" My wife & I like to take a drive up thataways every once in awhile, especially in the fall. Mostly it's cows and colorful leaves. Lots of places to pull over and have a picnic.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:51 AM

542 posts, read 703,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The wife and I are staying at the Deerhill Inn in West Dover in late July. Any suggestions for things to do, places to eat? We don’t mind driving up to 3 hours for a day trip while we’re there.
I used to cook at the Deerhill Inn many many years ago. Late July is a great time to come. The suggestions above are all good. Depends how long you have I suppose. In terms of hiking there is tons of that. Just about anywhere, just down a dirt road is nice, you can hike up Mt Snow in the summer if you want a work out. Did that, bring bug spray. There are a couple state parks around you with trails plus you have the entire green mountain forest at your door. Other outdoor stuff, On lake whitingham there is a place you can rent power boats, jetskis, canoes etc. The lake is awesome that time of year, fishing swimming too. You can also rent canoes on the connecticut river in Brattleboro, also in arlington and paddle down the battenkill which is super fun as it is mellow white water. There is golf I believe it is still going across the street from you, and you can play in Brattleboro. Not sure what is open for restaurants up there these days. We go to the "Last Chair" or the west dover inn, both next to you. In wilmington we usually eat at the anchor, maybe a beer at the Maple leaf tavern. A trip to Brattleboro will be in order to view a wild assortment of people. We usually eat at the Marina, or Whetstone Brewery. Also the Brattleboro country club has a nice little open to public restaurant. You will probably day trip to Manchester. I am a bit of a drinker so you'll see my taste is pubbish. I like Mulligans and Gringo Jacks. Plenty of fancy place to eat there if that is your thing. A trip North up RT100 is a must. A Magical ride that time of year, so pretty. Woodstock would be a good day trip as suggested, quechee gorge, giant antique mall if you are in to that, also good antique malls in chester and Bennington and smaller one in Brattleboro. Ok got to get back to work. I live in the area so if you have specific questions let me know. Enjoy

Old 04-28-2022, 10:36 PM

389 posts, read 401,174 times
Manchester.

Close to the New York border and other states.

Great place to go in the fall to see the leave change colors. Plenty of shopping and nature stuff.

If you can afford, check out the Equinox Spa/Resort. Definitely a true VT tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont