Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 05:11 PM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Oh yeah! You could hear me laugh all the way from Alabama.

If you build a garage that has no visitors, and just HAPPEN to decide to use it for making something, that is a whole lot different than sayin' "I'm building a commercial structure on my residential land. What could go wrong?"

An uncle's long unused garage business came up for sale recently. Lord help the person who bought it, as they probably will have to simultaneously preserve the historical structure and excavate twenty feet down and a hundred feet in circumference to meet the environmental requirements.

The simple answer is to NOT dare to create a business in Vermont. It wants to be Norman Rockwell's wet dream for generations to come.

BTW, my friend, how did your cell service work out?
I stuck with Verizon - for now - when they wheeled and dealed me into an additional discount as an 'over 55.' They must be feeling some heat from Consumer Cellular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 04:17 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Not sure I agree with this since I've had several discussions with our Select Board, the people who did our recent re-assessment for the grand list, and others in town on this topic (and my husband used to say he wasn't going to let anyone in unless they had a warrant )

Couple of random obs:

If you don't allow access to your property, the assessors can 'estimate' the value of the home based on current figures, comps, whatever tools they use. If you were to disagree with that assessment, then you HAVE to let them in to resolve the dispute.

In my town, most homes have some property around it, so the assessors can walk around for a look see. You don't have to allow them in your home, though, this is true.

A reassessment doesn't necessarily mean that your taxes will increase. (emphasis on not necessarily). If everyone's home is reassessed - as our town is going through now - because they are 10 years late! - your taxes may actually be reduced (unlikely?) because undervalued homes will now be properly valued. This is for the Grand List, which, full disclosure, I'm still not sure I understand.

We let them in this year but will not know until the town wide reassessment is completed next year how much the value of our home has increased. We don't have an expensive, fancy home. It's pretty basic. But we have done some cosmetic upgrades inside, replacing cabinetry, etc, which to our understanding may not have that much of an affect because it would not be classified as a 'remodel.' I guess we'll see.
It took this town 20 years to "discover" the closest neighbor had built a house. Posting of land in VT applies to government officials. There is truly no benefit to a property owner to allow them access. They might figure out square footage from satellite images but they won't have anything else.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:56 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,123,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It took this town 20 years to "discover" the closest neighbor had built a house. Posting of land in VT applies to government officials. There is truly no benefit to a property owner to allow them access. They might figure out square footage from satellite images but they won't have anything else.
Gee, does this not mean the neighbor would be liable for back taxes?

Old 08-29-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
How is that possible with the permitting process in VT? A permit has to be filed with the town clerk and posted on the property. But I suppose if they are up in the Kingdom what might be possible. LOL

Old 08-29-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
How is that possible with the permitting process in VT? A permit has to be filed with the town clerk and posted on the property. But I suppose if they are up in the Kingdom what might be possible. LOL
No zoning, no permits. Even getting the state septic permit on my place never entered their radar.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Gee, does this not mean the neighbor would be liable for back taxes?
No. Because there is no zoning so no permit issue either. It's on the town to figure out if something has been built.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:23 AM

Quote:
No. Because there is no zoning so no permit issue either. It's on the town to figure out if something has been built.
Good grief. LOL.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Good grief. LOL.
It actually gets funnier because one of the selectmen did the same thing with a camp and sugarhouse. Only took the listers 7 years to find that one though. Essex County is an interesting place.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:05 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,123,768 times
Quote:
It actually gets funnier because one of the selectmen did the same thing with a camp and sugarhouse. Only took the listers 7 years to find that one though. Essex County is an interesting place.
I suppose it gets more complicated when a property comes up for sale and a new house, outbuilding, garage was built after the last survey where it wasn’t listed, etc…

Old 08-31-2022, 05:49 AM

Yep, the Kingdom I knew it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: