Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 10:39 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
A void would have been better than my experience with the Catholic church.
Amen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 11:01 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Definitely not.

I live in Montpelier and there are several active churches in town, many of which are centers of various social and social justice activities. There is also a statewide group, Vermont Interfaith Action, that uses religious convictions to advance principles of social justice.

I wouldn't be surprised if some denominations, particularly in smaller towns, are having trouble maintaining their membership. Every year the survey is done Vermont ranks as the least religious state.

Still, there is a broad diversity of religious practices, so if you're asking because you're considering a move it is likely that with some investigation you can find a church or other entity that is congenial to your beliefs and practices.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:35 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
They don't have to have "nothing". Moral codes can be readily taught by parents and not tied to religion. I don't know of any atheists who are "swimming in the void with no anchor in sight". As others have pointed out, church attendance has been declining nation wide.
I did say that I don't believe religion per se is needed to establish a moral code. But I could have phrased this better by saying that I don't think any real moral codes are being taught by parents to children based on my observations. My comment referred more to young kids growing up.
I know plenty of atheists who are not unmoored so I would agree with you there.
And yes, church attendance continues to decline.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
The town I live in is 2,000 people and as of a few years ago had 6 churches ( 3 congregational, 2 Methodist, 1 baptist). That’s way too many for a population that size to maintain 1800s buildings. One church has given away one of their two buildings because they don’t want to spend all of their energy maintaining them.
Very true especially in the NE.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
A void would have been better than my experience with the Catholic church.
In retrospect, I agree with you. I only came to this conclusion once I reached my teens.

Old 09-07-2022, 09:37 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,911,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I did say that I don't believe religion per se is needed to establish a moral code. But I could have phrased this better by saying that I don't think any real moral codes are being taught by parents to children based on my observations. My comment referred more to young kids growing up.
I know plenty of atheists who are not unmoored so I would agree with you there.
And yes, church attendance continues to decline.
For sure, more parents need to teach their kids some sort of moral code.

So often, from my personal observation, all some parents seem to teach is reward and punishment, as in "stop that" and/or "good job". Some seem to think that teaching behavior and morality on a broader level is the school's job, but I would say it isn't.

I doubt very much that VT teachers would think it's their purview. They just have to deal with the consequences of lack of good parenting.

Old 09-07-2022, 05:04 PM

544 posts, read 940,705 times
Our local Catholic Church sold off the rectory earlier this year. It has scaled back considerably and now is open Saturday 3 pm for reconciliation followed by 4 pm mass. Nothing more.

Old 09-08-2022, 04:15 PM

613 posts, read 1,018,158 times
I grew up in a fair sized town and attended the First Congregational Church. I don't have kids but I have nieces and nephews. Their parents don't understand why they're non-religious, but they didn't take them to church. That church was pretty easy-going. I'd like to re-experience the sense of community by attending church, even though I'm a little lacking, myself, in the faith element. I reckon that's okay.

Old 09-09-2022, 06:23 AM

5,217 posts, read 6,150,147 times
Originally from New England but now living in the southeast and we are seeing this here in our area.

Older congregations are losing their young families to non-denomination churches. Many start out in rented halls until they grow. My friend has an older small church next door to his property and they are lucky to have ten people attending Sunday services.

Sign of the times.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:32 AM

426 posts, read 160,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
The Protestant denominations that dominate New England (Congregationalist, Unitarianism) have experienced membership decline over the decades. Which is ironic since they tend to be the most liberal.
Politics is not the only factor.

I’m not from New England (but am really drawn to it, the lack of religiosity being one factor) but I can maybe give some insight.

I’m an atheist who was raised in liberal churches. They didn’t save church for me. I found church to be excruciatingly boring and found myself only believing in the existence of a deity because my community and family did.

The fact of the matter is that I had no reason to believe for myself.

No doubt politics is playing a large part on church attendance declining. But there is more to it. There are people like me. There’s also the internet which people my age and younger have been heavily impacted by, which gave me more insight into other beliefs.

People nowadays are finding they don’t need church. There are a lot of reasons, which is why I think the “nones” classification needs to be more carefully explained in how broad it really is. Church attendance decline is coming from not just politics, but knowledge, exposure to other beliefs that people in the past didn’t have, other communities becoming more widespread and easy to find, etc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont