Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2022, 08:41 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times

Advertisements

PBS TERRA short programme about the safest places in the US as global warming and other events occur. Lamoille county was found to be the safest.

I am pretty happy about that given the proximity to my home town. Lol

https://youtu.be/tcj9IGY6Etg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 09:03 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
What are the odds that Morrisville becomes a heavily sought after boom town? LOL. By century's end I'd imagine migration and settlement patterns focused around abundant fresh water resources. IE the Great Lakes.

Old 09-13-2022, 02:35 AM

Yes, I also think that the Great Lakes region will be very attractive for that reason.

Vermont’s loveliness is also a factor, but how much of a magnet do you want it to be is another question. Let’s hope Morrisville doesn't become the new "Phoenix". Lol

Old 09-13-2022, 08:26 AM

23,588 posts, read 70,358,767 times
It appeared from their map that northern Maine had a lot of "safe" space counties, which may be the only reason Lamoille was chosen. Economic migration to northern Maine is unlikely, to say the least. What was unsaid is that Canada may be their main area of "nice" climate.

There were a few errors, a few "yeah, so what else is new?" moments, and the underlying theme, but I've seen worse reporting.

Specific notes:
The Sahara is not populated enough for migration from there to have any real effect. That segment would have better focused on Iran and India, where population centers may get to temperatures considered unsurvivable.

The Mississippi delta area has always been unstable. Changing silt patterns in a major river dumping in the ocean make New Orleans a city that has ALWAYS been doomed in the long run. This isn't a climate change issue. It is a "let's build an entire city in a stupid place" issue.

The Greenland ice sheet melting is not a major game changer. That is largely unscientific myth that has been trotted out and revised repeatedly. IIRC, the last iteration was a sea level rise of +-3 feet if it all went away (down from 10 feet claimed earlier). Antarctica, OTOH, yeah, it can have an impact.

The Californian diaspora. This is real, and in some ways a regurgitation of the grapes of wrath. A similar diaspora happened with Florida during the decade when strong hurricane impact seemed to be an ongoing yearly occurrence at a minimum. North Carolina and Tennessee were the main landing zones then.

A short piece like that is limited in scope by design. What is needed as a bookend to it is another study showing how architecture, infrastructure, and climate control systems are shifting to accommodate the new requirements.

The idea of overheated people clamoring at the gates of Morrisville yelling "Sanctuary! Sanctuary!" makes me smile. Where are Charlton Heston and Edward G. Robinson when you need them to reprise their roles?

Old 09-13-2022, 09:41 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times
Orange County VT looks like the best in the country. Probably because our growing season around the CT river will go way up.

Old 09-13-2022, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It appeared from their map that northern Maine had a lot of "safe" space counties, which may be the only reason Lamoille was chosen. Economic migration to northern Maine is unlikely, to say the least. What was unsaid is that Canada may be their main area of "nice" climate.

There were a few errors, a few "yeah, so what else is new?" moments, and the underlying theme, but I've seen worse reporting.

Specific notes:
The Sahara is not populated enough for migration from there to have any real effect. That segment would have better focused on Iran and India, where population centers may get to temperatures considered unsurvivable.

The Mississippi delta area has always been unstable. Changing silt patterns in a major river dumping in the ocean make New Orleans a city that has ALWAYS been doomed in the long run. This isn't a climate change issue. It is a "let's build an entire city in a stupid place" issue.

The Greenland ice sheet melting is not a major game changer. That is largely unscientific myth that has been trotted out and revised repeatedly. IIRC, the last iteration was a sea level rise of +-3 feet if it all went away (down from 10 feet claimed earlier). Antarctica, OTOH, yeah, it can have an impact.

The Californian diaspora. This is real, and in some ways a regurgitation of the grapes of wrath. A similar diaspora happened with Florida during the decade when strong hurricane impact seemed to be an ongoing yearly occurrence at a minimum. North Carolina and Tennessee were the main landing zones then.

A short piece like that is limited in scope by design. What is needed as a bookend to it is another study showing how architecture, infrastructure, and climate control systems are shifting to accommodate the new requirements.

The idea of overheated people clamoring at the gates of Morrisville yelling "Sanctuary! Sanctuary!" makes me smile. Where are Charlton Heston and Edward G. Robinson when you need them to reprise their roles?

Good points, all. You mention NOLA and the Mississippi delta, I would add a good chunk of the Mid to southern Florida coastline, too, as a design wreck-in-waiting, I suppose.

Old 09-17-2022, 06:51 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
What are the odds that Morrisville becomes a heavily sought after boom town? LOL. By century's end I'd imagine migration and settlement patterns focused around abundant fresh water resources. IE the Great Lakes.
We have Green River Reservoir in Hyde Park. not a great lake, but neither is Lake Champlain (get it?

Old 07-20-2023, 09:50 PM

Location: Between the Evergreen state and the Green Mountain state
77 posts, read 198,195 times
Do you think the researchers might update this after the last couple of weeks? Lamoille County; Vermont overall; and elsewhere. See NY Times article July 13. I generally think these studies are mostly news filler anyway.

Old 07-21-2023, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendwa View Post
Do you think the researchers might update this after the last couple of weeks? Lamoille County; Vermont overall; and elsewhere. See NY Times article July 13. I generally think these studies are mostly news filler anyway.

Yes, sadly.

I mean, the weather in Northern Quebec has been extremely dry and caused these infamous forest fires to grow more intense. In the Southern parts, close to the US states, we have had huge amounts of rain and flooding.

Heck, there was a fire last week in the James Bay region that was the size of Lebanon, and I don’t mean the one in N.H.

Old 07-24-2023, 07:22 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times
I saw this study too and think the point was Lamoille County was the safest from climate change not that it wont still feel its effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont