Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:16 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,288,066 times

Advertisements

Leeds-think you're generalizing just a tad?
Vermont is not a dump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 03:48 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,920,155 times
thanks wabbit, i am sure if we beat up on blacks or gays the same way we talked down to poor whites(the original people called Rednecks--because of the sun burned necks of farmers in the south) the northeasterns would be screaming foul.

prejudiced goes both ways, but these are usually the same people who brought us political correctness, and that Senator who thinks only obama is the first clean, articulate colored person

Old 03-24-2007, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 11,805 times
Talking You Have No Idea!!!!!!!

Vermonters are famous for using toilets (yes, TOILETS) as yard decorations. Need i say more?

Old 03-24-2007, 03:05 PM

46 posts, read 206,301 times
Hey Pidgett,

I think you will find more refrigerator farms in NH, Maine and upstate NY than in Vermont.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,437 times
Based on my many travels in New England, I would say NH and Maine have a much higher number of rednecks. You'll see a lot more squalor in those states than in VT, although I did have a mean blonde lady redneck run me off a rural road one time in VT and flip me the bird (showing her IQ) as she sped past. And while I was camping along the Appalachian trail last year in designated wilderness four lowlifes came speeding up a nearby trail on ATV's and breaking the peace with their noise and pollution and carving up the trail with their tires-obviously it was no concern at all to them that they were flagrantly breaking the law as well as showing absolutely no respect at all to other (legal) users of the area. But rednecks love their motorized toys....

Old 03-26-2007, 07:59 PM

12 posts, read 66,933 times
Default There Goes your Equity

I believe I heard that Vermont now has a law that does not allow discrimination with regard to mobile homes and the like, anywhere. In other words, if you have a $300,000 house in a neighborhood with homes of like value, no one can stop someone from buying a vacant lot next door and plopping down a junky old trailerhouse to live in. There goes your equity that you worked your whole life for, but I believe that is now the law. Did I hear right?

Old 03-27-2007, 05:39 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,793,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckaroo View Post
I believe I heard that Vermont now has a law that does not allow discrimination with regard to mobile homes and the like, anywhere. In other words, if you have a $300,000 house in a neighborhood with homes of like value, no one can stop someone from buying a vacant lot next door and plopping down a junky old trailerhouse to live in. There goes your equity that you worked your whole life for, but I believe that is now the law. Did I hear right?
No.

You didn't hear right.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:21 PM

198 posts, read 803,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckaroo View Post
Chaz is right....your information is incorrect.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:04 AM

124 posts, read 642,667 times
Thanks for all who have taken the time to post their opinions on my thread....

To the poster who said that Maine has more rednecks than VT, I would definitely say that, yes, it has rednecks. I am a native Maine-iac now living in West Virginia who is looking forward to a job relocation that will bring my wife and I to either the Adirondacks or Vermont. I'm beginning to conclude that either place will be a fine choice, with both areas having more similarities than differences.

Pidge

Old 03-31-2007, 03:21 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,971,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Maybe you should try and go back and reread his post. He was NOT targeting "poor whites". There are MANY "poor whites" (and many other groups) that do not have a lot of money who have immaculate yards and homes and have pride in ownership regardless of how humble. There is a difference between not having a lot of capital and not having any pride in your own space. I for one appreciate beauty and understand what the poster was getting at. He certainly has a right to his own opinion and if wants to live in an area where people take care of their land and property then others should not criticize. And there is a huge difference than wanting to live in a planned cookie-cutter community than just wanting to live next door to a trailer with rusting apliances and cars on bricks etc.
I am with you on that !!.................after living in the South a lot of years , I had thought I had seen it all...........no, right here in Michigan, there are more redneck, Hillbillies , and just Folks who don,t give a dam, about anything , including the way they take care of their yards, and the shacks they live in !! I have hears it said its their Kentucky roots showing thru...........maybe.............darstar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont