Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering moving to Vermont, pros and cons of living in Vermont, overcoming cold feet when moving, seeking advice about moving out of state

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:23 PM

130 posts, read 277,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
.....but I find it very creepy the almost virtual fanatical cult like fascination and expectations which are being bestowed.
Clearly, many people have underestimated how disillusioned millions of people were with the past administration. That and a large number of people felt robbed of the leaders that inspired them that died by assignation in the 60's [Kennedy/Kennedy/King].

BO ties together those two groups, so it comes as no surprise to me he has a great many passionately hopeful and devoted followers. Clearly from a race issue, it's a moving experience for many people too.

pabear, If you want to move to VT, move here, many people do and either stay or leave. I don't see a move as a life ending/making decision but just another experience that the choices you make will lead you to. Just be sure you're ready to handle your decision if things don't work out as planned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 05:48 AM

24 posts, read 127,235 times
Oh my gosh....just read all the previous entries and what is it about Vermont that makes us all want to be there? Especially us from NJ, NY, and PA???? Being retired military, I have lived throughout the US and overseas. We're now living in NJ and originally from NJ and are considering the move to Vermont. We love the lifestyle, the countryside, the winter and summer activities. However, after reading the "reality" of Vermont, not sure if this is a good idea. What the others have said about the south and people of PA..... so true. Taxes in NJ are outrageous but, I'm reading that they are not much better in VT. So where does a person go to be mortgage free with low taxes so one day they can totally retire? Florida??? I don't think so!

Old 01-26-2009, 08:33 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieck View Post
Oh my gosh....just read all the previous entries and what is it about Vermont that makes us all want to be there? Especially us from NJ, NY, and PA???? Being retired military, I have lived throughout the US and overseas. We're now living in NJ and originally from NJ and are considering the move to Vermont. We love the lifestyle, the countryside, the winter and summer activities. However, after reading the "reality" of Vermont, not sure if this is a good idea. What the others have said about the south and people of PA..... so true. Taxes in NJ are outrageous but, I'm reading that they are not much better in VT. So where does a person go to be mortgage free with low taxes so one day they can totally retire? Florida??? I don't think so!
Being within 18 months of locking in my military pension (well, stop loss may adjust this a bit) I can relate. I too have been all over the country and value four season activities. It all comes down to balancing what you want, what you need, and what you can afford. I would like to be able to use my military benefits, but that does not mean I have to live outside the gates of Bragg or Benning. Up here in Vt there are very limited resources close by which a great many DOD retirees usually take advantage of so this may or may not be part of your consideration for relocation purposes. In my case economics weighs heavily in making the consideration where to relocate. More so since coming to Vermont, yet I am careful not to let the current nationwide economic distress taint my judgement and view. It's fortunately not to the point that money is so tight that it affects basic day to day survivability, but I do have certain things that I yet want to accomplish in life and by staying in a high cost area it limits by options. The best advice is to do your research, get the real facts as they would pertain to your own circumstances, and then when ready execute your plan always keeping that certain level of doubt and suspicion with a backup option should reality prove your original plan failing to meet expectations.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:06 PM

7 posts, read 22,697 times
WOW, Iam so happy to see that so many people share my love of Vermont. Iam from North Wollcott and spent most of my childhood in Stowe. We moved to Maryland "the arm pitt of the US" when I was 14 and I have been trying to get back home ever sense. The traffic here in MD is insane, the family values do not exsits, its dangerous and people prefer to run you over rather than allowing you to cross to road. ANd if you own a bike good luck ever riding it unless you are in a park. The money is VERY GOOD and thats what has kept us here but I will not let my dreams of peaceful living get plowed down by a mere green peice paper.

Thank you all for keeping the spirit of Vermont alive I WILL BE GOING HOME SOON !!!! ))

Old 02-24-2011, 06:05 PM

26 posts, read 73,476 times
I love all the feedback for pabear.
At this point my husband and I are living in Ct. with a shop in Vt., run by my daughter and son-in-law. The taxes are similar for us, perhaps Vt. being the lower of the 2 states. We did not buy an over priced place, but something with house and business attached. It required paint and some repair to give the place the magic it needed to grow but it's mostly been our neighbors that have made it a wonderful experience. They support us and help make the place feel like it could be a destination in years to come. Some of them are financially well off but still have good work ethics.
We are in the heart of the green mountains. One of the hardest working farmers, born and raised in Vt., and friend we now know lives off the grid and is quite intelligent. He knows all his rocks and has offered to teach us about the geology of the area and share his tools. I can't speak for all but I've noticed reading, music, and culture are all very important here. One can never enter a college and be far more brilliant from life experience and reading than we ever give credit for. We do see a diverse crowd that stop in and many on their traveling vacation are as enchanted by the beauty as ourselves. The reality, the cold winters and gray days along with finding work must be considered but luckily we are tough stock and so far haven't been scared. Taxes are about the only thing that can drive me out but so far they are reasonable. (our #1 rule is do not over pay)

Being a homebody the final move to Vt. will be hardest on myself, if we do follow through on it. We are up there as often as time will allow and always take time to step out and play after a hard days work. We live close enough to the mountains to hike or go waterfall hunting without looking too far. This restores the spirit more than anything.
I'd like to suggest that pabear consider investing in a small piece of land or small cottage. Maybe this is something the whole family could invest in together. Don't overpay and you'll be fine. Keep 2 homes and let one be rented or shared by another family member until you know what you want. One of my part time neighbors in Vt. comes up from Fl. for the summer months and stays in their trailer home. This works great for them and gives them the best of our green state in their old age.
If all goes as planned our retirement will be a new beginning where we already know the local folks and have a foot in the door, though it will not be the end of our work.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:00 PM

I agree !!I with Honebears words below

I'd like to suggest that pabear consider investing in a small piece of land or small cottage. Maybe this is something the whole family could invest in together. Don't overpay and you'll be fine. Keep 2 homes and let one be rented or shared by another family member until you know what you want.

My husband and I were thinking if we had some money we would love to buy 2 places in Vermont. One for ourselves and the other a small vacation rental. I have seen a big trend with medium size homes all over Vermont that lower their day & week rental charges and it keeps them booked almost all year long. At $700-$900 a week. Compared to quite a few homes & condos who over charge at $2000 and UP a week and only get a few renters through the year.
We would love to do this but dont think it will be possible right now. Oh well I will keep dreaming and pushing toward our move ))

Last edited by cbenson; 03-11-2011 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: add more

Old 03-11-2011, 12:14 PM

pabear, If you want to move to VT, move here, many people do and either stay or leave. I don't see a move as a life ending/making decision but just another experience that the choices you make will lead you to. Just be sure you're ready to handle your decision if things don't work out as planned.[/quote]

The quote above from Targo is totally correct.

You can either stay in the position you are in or give life a chance to work new experiences in you. As I said in a past note, I hate Maryland and everything about it. BUT I met my wonderful husband here, have started a business from scratch that is flourishing and have discovered Im am terrific business owner " WHO KNEW " ))
So even if you do move and hate it !! You have no idea whats in store for you and if you dont try than you will still be in the same place years from now wondering.
If its any consulation moving back to my home town in Vermont scares the hell out of me. I will have to start all over again and readjust our children and worry just like anyone about my financial future. But I would rather be a little broke and in a happy serene enviroment then have oodles of cash flow and hate everything around me.

I hope you make the leap and I hope you find the wondeful things in life that you deserve.

Haved a wonderful day !!

Old 03-11-2011, 12:17 PM

167 posts, read 354,725 times
Only the economic reality has kept me from living in Vermont. I've been to Vt probably twenty or so times in the last decade. I've made good friends and have done a lot outdoors. I even sold my house to move to VT. But alas, where would I work? And that reality right there has kept me from living my dreams. Dreams are wonderful but reality bites!

Old 03-11-2011, 03:18 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,147,110 times
This winter will probably send some people packing. I've lived in cold states my whole life, but this winter has really jolted me. Right now I'm wondering
where all this snow is going to go. Since the majority of our snow came in Feb and March (snowiest Feb ever in Northern Vermont and largest March snow ever last week) it's quite possible this is the most snow we've had on our properties in mid-March.

We've never had water in our basement, but we've never had this much snow on the ground as we head to spring.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,401 times
Did you do it!! I guess it's been two years. If so was wondering how it is? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabear View Post
Can you be homesick for a place you do not live? My wife and three boys and I have been to Vermont a few times, partially vacation and the other job interviews. We have been reading the posts for Vermont for over two years now. In that time, we have either gotten cold feet about our moving, or decided to stay where we are at due to family. Here we are again with a situation that we would be able to make our move. I would be away from the family for a few months, but my wife and boys are on board with this. The unknown of course is will we be able to sell our house here and make a good go of it there. We know how the winters are, (love them) know we would like the work. Our family of course would be less than thrilled us moving from Pa. to Vermont, but I am at the point where we need to live our lives, I mean we only go around once. My wife is worried about everything panning out for us, and understandably so. I truly love Vermont. I realize that things aren't a bed of roses anyplace, but I do not feel complete where we are at now. I don't know what the future holds, and I want to do what is best for my family. Until we figure ourselves out, we are homesick for Vermont in Pennsylvania.
I would like to say it has been very good and enlightening reading everyones posts, good or bad. Everyone we either ran into while in Vermont, or who we have had contact through City Data has been nice and very helpful. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont