Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:47 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times

Advertisements

Where is the supermarket in Woodstock? I can think of one small grocery heading west out of town, but nothing big.

As someone from out-of-state, if I had to retire and pick one, I would opt for Manchester.

Both are beautiful, both are touristy, Manchester is a bit more commercial. I don't know the differences in RE taxes between the two, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 AM

102 posts, read 313,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Where is the supermarket in Woodstock? I can think of one small grocery heading west out of town, but nothing big.

As someone from out-of-state, if I had to retire and pick one, I would opt for Manchester.

Both are beautiful, both are touristy, Manchester is a bit more commercial. I don't know the differences in RE taxes between the two, though.
It is now a Macs I think. Used to be a Grand Union. On right headed EAST out of town. Before the funny little diner and the "big" turn.

Manchester seems to have more art/theatre type of activities. Many people live in Dorset, if they can afford it. It is only a few miles from Manchester, yet is much more quiet and has a private golf course and the Dorset Theatre.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff in VT View Post
It is now a Macs I think. Used to be a Grand Union. On right headed EAST out of town. Before the funny little diner and the "big" turn.

Manchester seems to have more art/theatre type of activities. Many people live in Dorset, if they can afford it. It is only a few miles from Manchester, yet is much more quiet and has a private golf course and the Dorset Theatre.
Dorset is a very pleasant area. Great Farmers Market, too!

Old 07-25-2009, 06:26 AM

84 posts, read 208,081 times
Quote:
And how cool is it to drive by the Dorset quarry and watch the local kids swimming and jumping.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff in VT View Post
I forgot to acknowledge that! I knew the spot but got myself turned around.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
And how cool is it to drive by the Dorset quarry and watch the local kids swimming and jumping.
I love the quarry...not so much for swimming, but for walking about and reading the years of graffiti etched into the stone. We brought some visiting friends to the Dorset farmers market and then stopped by the quarry on our way home with our goodies. It was early July yet the air temperature was still a bit too chilly. All passed on going swimming in the quarry.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:51 AM

96 posts, read 119,910 times
Quote:

About how far is it from Manchester?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantwon View Post
About how far is it from Manchester?
Perhaps about 15 mins from Malfunction Junction on Route 30. It is held on Sundays...I believe from 10-2...please double check.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 467 times
I'm interested in knowing what stores where there before macs and before grand union there was P&C or red & white and or Shure fine ? as for Woodstock I lived there 10 years 89-99 was great when i got there but slowly but surely the rich flatlanders pushed out the locals with higher and higher taxes not to mention the we city folks will show you country bumkins how to run things. IMHO i would pick Manchester now I live in Springfield VT stay safe and peace even for the flatlanders !!!!!!!!

Last edited by gopo2258; 08-02-2020 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: miss wording

Old 08-02-2020, 11:55 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,668 times
Both towns are very nice but, if healthcare will be important to you in your later years, the proximity to DHMC from Woodstock could be a big plus. As an additional bonus, you are extremely close to tax free shopping across the NH border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont