Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Carrington View Post
I'd like to find census records or any records on line of patients at Brandan Training School in the late 1800's (1887) to mid 1950s. I am searching for 3 lost people Charles Batease, Henry and William Batease (Battist, Battice, Battis).
i was in bts a few yrs names harold hatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 09:58 AM

130 posts, read 278,996 times
My ex neighbour used to work there. She is a hideous creature. She has attacked kids that come near her, pushed them, stolen their property, and it's just bat**** crazy. The police did nothing with her as she played the cute old lady trick with them and despite all of our evidence she got away with horrible behaviour.

I have no doubt BTS was not a good place to be when she was there...

Old 05-12-2013, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,511 times
I worked at BTS from 1976-89. Anything is possible, it would be helpful if you could tell what the old dorm letter would have been for your building. A-Ks as i recall. To say that " lots of bad things happening " there would be erroneous at best. The BTS i knew was a very nice place with lots of good people around working with the residents. The facility has been around a long time and in its earlier days could have been a rough place to live for some of those folks. Troubled souls would be the norm of the folks residing there. Mischievous spirits would not surprise me at all. I still live in Brandon and drive up to the old school to walk the grounds, still a peaceful place to walk without distractions. I can remember one occasion where i was alone in one of the buildings and getting that " i'm being watched feeling's" Some of those folks could become quite aggressive. Do you have a history of being sensitive to things of this nature? Curious.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,221 times
Default memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
This brings back lots of memories.
Worked there for several years,
had to quit due to too much lifting/medical problems,
and they closed down a couple years later.
It was a great experience.
Lots of history there, would love to see some pics.

As far as supernatural type experiences, I think anything is possible.
I keep an open mind.
It doesn't mean everytime the wind blows I say hey it was a ghost...but I have had some neat stuff happen in my life, and unless something has happened to someone else they often dismiss other peoples encounters until it happens to them.
I used to live there when I was five years old I know I felt things things there I am trying to find photos of the buildings

Old 12-29-2018, 05:22 AM

9 posts, read 5,678 times
Brandon training school was a reparative program for wabanaki (not developmentally disabled or criminals ) wabanaki were described as inmates or people needing to learn a scouting program or carreer from a punishement or non educational program. had a boy scouting / explroer program called troop and post 111 in brandon vermont . (Deb preseau , police chief joseph arduca jeff elrick officeer laurie krupp , , Don stevens , joe anicipura those programs were reparative they were also fond at VSH and weeks industrial school and schools for idiots in other states the scouting programs and also vermont commission on native affairs i are old hat and still being discussed as the final part of the closure of the wabanaki school and the school for the feeble minded . there is racism and insulting language in these old programs. RNESU is trying to obtain documents from these places and discussions of academia and rights of public education those discussions might be happening soon with the the public guardian and the commonwealth of Massachusetts for indians title vii indian education for m'ikmaq /romani and abenkei

Old 12-29-2018, 05:37 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwendolyn sweet View Post
you keep refering to vsh. what is vsh? the only vsh I know of would be vermont state housing. I was refering to brandon training school. Looking to find out more about building residents who used to be in this building. I'm not afraid just curious. My daughter and grandchildren have lived here for several years and the children have been spooked a few times. Any info is helpfull.
Vermont State Hospital?

Old 12-29-2018, 06:48 AM

yes Vermont state hospital had a boy scouting program we are tryign to locate pictures and files. deb preseau was part of the programs for brandon traiing school and for wabankai indians in brandon and waterbury the bsa explorer post in at vermont state hosptial goes back to the 1950s

Old 12-29-2018, 06:50 AM

the office of public guardian is able to get the bsa scouting records and other programs which were run in the community . any of us may have been in some or mentioned in some training school records or repartive justice programs. they were sometimes run at the police station or the local schools . ovuhs and neshobe also had some classrooms and showers and disability for the brandon training school inmates and community membersThe Institution Quarterly, Volumes 11-13 ,

[URL="https://books.google.com/books?id=kSQrAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA4-PA20&dq=school+for+idiots+boy+scouts&hl=en&sa=X&ve d=0ahUKEwj1qoqppcXfAhXtnuAKHQ__CI8Q6AEIRDAE"]The Institution Quarterly

- Volumes 11-13 - Page 20
https://books.google.com/books?id=kSQrAAAAYAAJ
[/URL]
[URL="https://books.google.com/books?id=kSQrAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA4-PA20&dq=school+for+idiots+boy+scouts&hl=en&sa=X&ve d=0ahUKEwj1qoqppcXfAhXtnuAKHQ__CI8Q6wEIRTAE"]https://www.city-data.com/forum/data:...AAAElFTkSuQmCC[/URL]

1920 - ‎[URL="https://books.google.com/books?id=kSQrAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA4-PA20&dq=school+for+idiots+boy+scouts&hl=en&sa=X&ve d=0ahUKEwj1qoqppcXfAhXtnuAKHQ__CI8QuwUIRjAE"]Read[/URL] - ‎[URL="https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&q=editions:rQMaGZk6QDsC&sa=X&ved=0a hUKEwj1qoqppcXfAhXtnuAKHQ__CI8QmBYIRzAE"]More editions[/URL]
SCHOOL. AND. COLONY. By Dr. C. B. Caldwell, Mgr. Officer BOY SCOUT MOVEMENT For some time, in fact for several years, a movement has been contemplated to institute at least one troop of Boy scouts at the Lincoln State School and Colony. This intention ... Agitation for an institution for "idiots" in Illinois was begun. 36.

[URL="https://books.google.com/books?id=ujUJAAAACAAJ&dq=school+for+idiots+boy+sco uts&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1qoqppcXfAhXtnuAKHQ__CI 8Q6AEISTAF"]Boy Scout Handbook

[/URL]

Last edited by cabjascro2; 12-29-2018 at 07:59 AM..

Old 12-29-2018, 07:08 AM

Default Training school and brandon police reparative courts

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YnCzFucRdo[/url]

Old 12-29-2018, 07:09 AM

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFbJ55F0hmo[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: