Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 04:37 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,099,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
GypsySoul22's list is accurate. If you don't have kids and can move around it ain't bad to give it a try. Except that it takes a little extra money to move and living in VT is hard on the extra money accumulation.
Yes, thanks for that. I am trying to be honest and not bitter because it didn't work out for us.

I should have listened to you wise ones, or the ones who moved on, who said it's hard to make a living here and 'obtaining any extra income' is nearly impossible. There are few 'fall back' retail jobs here (considered a 'good job' if you get 30 plus hours).

It's incredulous to those of us from more build up areas that finding work can be 'impossible' but for me, it has been. It's the #1 reason we have to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 05:44 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,550,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Yes, thanks for that. I am trying to be honest and not bitter because it didn't work out for us.

I should have listened to you wise ones, or the ones who moved on, who said it's hard to make a living here and 'obtaining any extra income' is nearly impossible. There are few 'fall back' retail jobs here (considered a 'good job' if you get 30 plus hours).

It's incredulous to those of us from more build up areas that finding work can be 'impossible' but for me, it has been. It's the #1 reason we have to move.
You know, I don't think it's just a matter of built up areas versus rural areas. I know people in other rural states who (at least until recently) had no trouble finding work capable of supporting a decent lifestyle. The difference though, is some rural states have a pro-business environment, whereas others (Vermont is one) have an anti-business environment. I grew up here and have lived here my whole life and I have had trouble finding work, I can't imagine someone moving here without a job already in place. That would be scary. And your own business is not always a solution. No farmer I knows makes very much (and many have gone under). A friend of my father had a roofing business. He had plenty of roofing jobs but he still couldn't stay in business profitably, between taxes, insurance, regulations, etc. He made more when he quit that business and got a job as a corrections officer (from which my father retired). It's not easy running a business here.

And you're right about no retail jobs for backup...too many people working there already with no hopes of getting anything better, despite being qualified for much better.

And with this situation, employers can pay low wages. I find it rather sickening when an employer asks for several years experience, a college degree, possibly a CDL, and on and on...and wants to pay $10 an hour with no or few benefits.

You know in spite of it all I think I actually could do fairly well for what I want in this state despite these factors if I had a decent piece of land to live on...but, with the job situation, and real estate through the roof, to do that would be a feat...

Old 03-29-2010, 03:36 AM

Good post from a long time Vermont resident! ^
Thanks for your perspective.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:19 PM

914 posts, read 2,925,308 times
GypsySoul22, do you think you would stay in Vermont if you had found a job that you liked? It seems that you don't like other things about the state - or has the bad employment climate colored your view of other aspects of it?

Old 03-30-2010, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
GypsySoul22, do you think you would stay in Vermont if you had found a job that you liked? It seems that you don't like other things about the state - or has the bad employment climate colored your view of other aspects of it?
Overall, it's financial picture, surely. I do like some things but without money coming it, I can't enjoy the positives.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:02 PM

459 posts, read 1,038,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiapeach32 View Post
Wow and I thought my $700.00 rent and $150.00 gas bill was knocking serious fire out of my pockets. I thought WRJ would be a lot cheaper since it's a smaller town but I guess not eh? I'm currently living in a townhome style apartment and would likely want the same there especially since I have a dog. So my question is, if wages are so slim and everything is so high, how are people making it? I could see things being quite expensive if you are living near or in the big city but I'm getting the impression that things are just ridiculously high everywhere.
Honestly, most of the people from out of state in VT moved here with money they either inherited or earned somewhere else.
Vermont is not really a place where you can live on the money you earn.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader;13494308[B
]You know, I don't think it's just a matter of built up areas versus rural areas. I know people in other rural states who (at least until recently) had no trouble finding work capable of supporting a decent lifestyle.[/b] The difference though, is some rural states have a pro-business environment, whereas others (Vermont is one) have an anti-business environment. I grew up here and have lived here my whole life and I have had trouble finding work, I can't imagine someone moving here without a job already in place. That would be scary. And your own business is not always a solution. No farmer I knows makes very much (and many have gone under). A friend of my father had a roofing business. He had plenty of roofing jobs but he still couldn't stay in business profitably, between taxes, insurance, regulations, etc. He made more when he quit that business and got a job as a corrections officer (from which my father retired). It's not easy running a business here.

And you're right about no retail jobs for backup...too many people working there already with no hopes of getting anything better, despite being qualified for much better.

And with this situation, employers can pay low wages. I find it rather sickening when an employer asks for several years experience, a college degree, possibly a CDL, and on and on...and wants to pay $10 an hour with no or few benefits.

You know in spite of it all I think I actually could do fairly well for what I want in this state despite these factors if I had a decent piece of land to live on...but, with the job situation, and real estate through the roof, to do that would be a feat...
There are less opportunities in rural areas. Not to say there are none, but there are less choices.
The problem with rural Vermont isn't the lack of opportunity, its the cost of living. I've never looked into moving to Milton, but my guess is that rent even there is way above what wages are.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Lisa is giving good advice.
I have to say after almost 3 years, living that way has gotten exhausting. Pinching pennies is fine--but it's hard to live that way long term.
You have to be committed to it, as she says.

Frankly, I'm sick of it. (and I am not a materialistic person).

Give me a decent job and NO help from the gov't any day.

Anyhow, as a single person you will have different wants and needs from married and married with kids folks.

You can be frugal here. You can go to Walmart (40 minute drive) or Market Basket in Claremont and buy cheaper groceries. You will do 99.9 percent of your shopping across state lines in NH because there is only one supermarket here and it is one that charges more than others.

We spend more $ than we want at the local gas station because the supermarket is 10 minutes away.

Walks with your dog are free...so you can enjoy that...
Lebanon has more persons of color than VT. (not far away). I bet Hanover/Dartmouth has something to fit your needs.
I haven't been in Lebanon in a while, but up here in Burlington there are plenty of black folks. More Africans than African-Americans, but the difference from even ten years ago is quite noticable.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:03 PM

17,233 posts, read 57,209,050 times
Quote:
Thanks for the many replies. So what I gather is that whites are a bit more open minded eh? I've never been uncomfortable being the only black person in an area. I mean I'm a gal who went to an all Asian church for years and never felt like I was unwanted. Got a couple of good friends from all racial backgrounds so I think I can relate well to people though I must admit I'm not a big fan of radical feminists but that's a different thread. My biggest concern here was whether people are receptive to something racially different from themselves and it seems like Vermonters are pretty cool. I've lived in the south all my life and it's taken it's toll obviously. In the south EVERYTHING is about race......right down to the type of music you listen to and the political party you belong to, the neighborhood you live in, the friends you have etc and blacks, whites, Asians and Hispanics can all be racist........ I apologize for being so race conscious....but hey, I am a southerner!

WRJ sounds like my kinda town though. I mean I must admit I hate the city. My parents grew up in a rural town with a population of about 300 and I loved it there. Said I'd be living there if there were any decent jobs. As long as there's a movie theather and places to eat and Native American powwwows around, I think I'll manage.

Seems like the biggest issue I'll need to adjust to is snow and learning how to drive in snow as we rarely get snow here. How bad is the snow btw?

Also...how is the traffic? Traffic here in Atlanta is hideous. We have too many road ragers here and it seems to get worse and worse!
I grew up around Atlanta, I don't think you will find that much traffic in the whole state of Vermont. What very little traffic I remember there was way better behaved.

But, snow, and, no surprise since the name comes from "Green Mountain", it's hilly around VT, way different driving experience.

A car with AWD is a big help like a Subaru. Real snow tires help too. Road salt will rust your current car, if you bring it there, into oblivion in less than 10 years I would guess.

Honestly, if I were going to live in that area, I would try to live close enough to work that I would not *have* to drive. But that's just me.

Cold winter, probably way beyond anything you have experienced. Get to know Damart, good thermals, they help.

If you go, this fall you will want to do some clothes shopping, as they say in Russia, "There is no bad weather, there is just inadequate clothing". Listen to the locals, they can steer you straight on what will keep you warm. You will want some boots for walking around in all that snow.

I certainly don't mean to scare you off, but it will be a completely different environment from Atlanta.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:44 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,842,787 times
Quote:
Okay so I'm from Atlanta and I'm considering taking a job in White River Junction. I've heard that Vermont is not racially diverse as Atlanta and mostly democratic.....and yep you read it right, I'm a Republican. Such a rarity but that's why I like being an American eh!

Anyway I'm just curious as to how I might be treated by white people in Vermont? Are they receptive to being around blacks or are they militant like whites in North GA where the KKK is still quite active?

As a single childless black woman with a dog, I will be in the dating scene but how receptive are white men to dating/marrying black women up in Vermont? Just wanna know what I'm getting myself into. I'll tell you down here in the south......we have a looooong way to go.

I consider myself to be an open minded kind of black chic....I mean I prefer rock over R&B and love a good Rolling Stones Concert. I judge people by character rather than color but.....just because I do doesn't mean others will do the same which is unfortunate considering we are in 2010 right?? Oh well but anyway, just wondering how are the people in White River Junction.

Thanks in advance
i dont want to derail your thread but the klan is everywhere and they have little to no weight IMO except in those backwoods conservative cultural towns down south and in some plains states and a few midwest states in southern illinois, indiana etc

you seem too self conscious; hope you find what your looking for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont