Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 11:04 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,887,045 times

Advertisements

so yesterday was my birthday and my 9 year old daughter wanted to spend quality time playing a game with me. its been a while since i played video games but my favorite has always been a first person shooter game. is that primarily what fortnite is? she plays robox and minecraft but that seems like torture for me. is she going to be able to get good at fortnite?

is the best playing experience in the xbox? what is the right xbox to buy now? are we able to connect to online playing via wifi or will i need a wired connection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 12:04 PM

14,774 posts, read 14,764,686 times
You can play on WiFi (it just won’t be as laser-fast) and Xbox One is the console to get (if you don’t mind the price). Fortnite, the free version everyone plays, is popular with children just be forewarned it is a PvP game, meaning where players fight against each other in a battle-royale setting. So she may get hammered a lot early on which can be frustrating for a child, to the point some kids (like my son) can’t play games with fighting other people because of temper tantrums when they lose.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:11 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,302,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
You can play on WiFi (it just won’t be as laser-fast) and Xbox One is the console to get (if you don’t mind the price). Fortnite, the free version everyone plays, is popular with children just be forewarned it is a PvP game, meaning where players fight against each other in a battle-royale setting. So she may get hammered a lot early on which can be frustrating for a child, to the point some kids (like my son) can’t play games with fighting other people because of temper tantrums when they lose.
This middle aged child also suffers frustration at times and avoids PvP due to anger issues. I think the Dalai Lama might have issues at times too if he plays.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
this? https://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-one/...ortnite-1tb-se

hopefully she will like it so she plays enough to get good. ill let her beat me but the world is a cold harsh place and she will have to be able to fight her own battles. unless we can play in the same game with other people and ill help her kill them. i havent played these types of games in a while. in high school i used to play goldeneye with friends and i was by far the best at it so hopefully it will be easy for me to pick this up.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:56 AM

35,260 posts, read 31,624,197 times
I like my Xbox One X. I think it's worth the price IF you have a 4K TV and are a gaming enthusiast. I like it as a system better than my PS4 Pro.

Fortnite has shooter components, but there's a lot more going on with it, and the graphics are so cartoony that it's not really "violent."

Old 09-05-2019, 09:44 AM

do any of these systems have guns that you can use to shoot the screen? we used to play this game on wii where you shoot chickens that are trying to take over the farm. when i mention getting a game to play together, that is what she wants to do. maybe i should just set that up again. she has a nintendo switch but she rarely uses it.

this is the chicken game:

https://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Riot-.../dp/B002HGE308

Old 09-05-2019, 11:54 AM

i just saw this gun for switch on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QY76FCW...dDbGljaz10cnVl

and i noticed:

Game Gun Controller for Nintendo Switch Joy Cons Hand Grips Shooting Games Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus, Big Buck Hunter Arcade - Nintendo Switch and Other Shooting Games

ummm we can play wolfenstein? i spent many hours playing that on my computer when i was a kid.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:57 PM

4,695 posts, read 3,900,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus
ummm we can play wolfenstein? i spent many hours playing that on my computer when i was a kid.
Wolfenstein: The New Colossus for a 9 year-old? No. Way too much violence/gore, plus sexual references, profanity etc. The opening scene with Frau Engel (the sadistic Nazi commander) would give her nightmares.

Or did you mean for yourself?

Old 09-05-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Wolfenstein: The New Colossus for a 9 year-old? No. Way too much violence/gore, plus sexual references, profanity etc. The opening scene with Frau Engel (the sadistic Nazi commander) would give her nightmares.

Or did you mean for yourself?
well, that one was for me.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:39 PM

30,489 posts, read 23,936,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so yesterday was my birthday and my 9 year old daughter wanted to spend quality time playing a game with me. its been a while since i played video games but my favorite has always been a first person shooter game. is that primarily what fortnite is? she plays robox and minecraft but that seems like torture for me. is she going to be able to get good at fortnite?

is the best playing experience in the xbox? what is the right xbox to buy now? are we able to connect to online playing via wifi or will i need a wired connection?
I highly recommend that you play Fortnite first before deciding it's a good game for your 9 year old daughter.

Yes, younger kids play it. But you should be aware of how toxic some of these communities can be.

I have played Fortnite - I no longer play Fortnite.

At this stage, with how long it's been out - it may not be that easy for her to "get good" at it - unless she's already been playing it and you didn't know that.

Fortnite is more than just shooting at people. You need to learn how to build to protect yourself. And it's fast, and you will die, a lot.

You also have to watch out for the storm - because it advances and it will kill you.

You know your daughter, and you know what you're willing to allow her to participate in - so again, I'll just recommend that you try it out, first. Several times, before you decide that this would be a great bonding experience for you 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games