Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 03:48 PM

4,567 posts, read 5,438,345 times

Advertisements

Im debating on downloading this game on Steam. The reviews on Steam are "Very Positive" and the few folks who I know personally have have downloaded it say that "its great".

The reviews are positive, the gameplay looks amazing, but I am not sure if I have enough spare gaming time for a new RPG open world Fantasy game. Im CP 1100 on Elder Scrolls Online which has taken me a few years to achieve. Between ESO, Genshin Impact, Call Of Duty and Valorant, not sure if I have time for a new game, but its very very rare in the gaming world to hear such overwhelming positive reviews on a game. Im thinking of pulling the trigger on purchasing this but want to hear from folks here who are playing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 09:21 PM

35,131 posts, read 31,403,664 times
I've never been a fan of anything that is baseline extremely difficult. At 35, I don't have the patience for endless wiping that I did twenty years ago.

I want a presentable challenge, but do not want a wipefest I can't opt-out of. With that said, I'll likely pick it up at under $30 or so.

Old 03-05-2022, 08:03 AM

Yeah, that seems to be the prevailing thought on the game is the difficulty. But its part of the entire Dark Souls series that makes people enjoy it is that there are no difficulty adjusters/sliders in the game.

Old 03-07-2022, 02:02 PM

Okay, I've got slightly more than 3 hours into Elden Ring and I can totally see what all the hoopla and fuss is about. This is a GREAT game. Not one of those mindlessly monotonous "go here, accept quest, kill this guy, return to quest giver" type games. This really makes you think and strategize about how to defeat enemies you encounter in game. Graphics are beautiful, gameplay is smooth, but there is a definite learning curve as the tutorial isnt really all that great.

So far, 3+ hours into the game, I give it a 9.5 out of 10 so far. If you arent playing it, you should. Im sure you all, just like me, see many many comments from friends on social media talking about the game. Well......that is...... if you have friends who are gamers/techies that is.

Old 03-07-2022, 07:41 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,729,268 times
Initially there seemed to be some disconnect between the critic's reviews which pretty much anointed this a classic, and gamers who were disappointed at what they consider sub-optimization of the game by the designers (stuttering frame rates, etc.).

I never felt a desire to play any of the "Souls" type of games as the difficulty level seems way too much and the customization options too intimidating. I really don't have the patience to fight bosses where it seems timing, luck, and a lot of time and patience is required (at least for non-skilled players).

I don't know how different this game is compared to previous Souls games in terms of the presentation and open world design. But if it's anything like Skyrim I might give it a shot.

Old 03-12-2022, 01:57 PM

21,905 posts, read 25,231,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Initially there seemed to be some disconnect between the critic's reviews which pretty much anointed this a classic, and gamers who were disappointed at what they consider sub-optimization of the game by the designers (stuttering frame rates, etc.).

I never felt a desire to play any of the "Souls" type of games as the difficulty level seems way too much and the customization options too intimidating. I really don't have the patience to fight bosses where it seems timing, luck, and a lot of time and patience is required (at least for non-skilled players).

I don't know how different this game is compared to previous Souls games in terms of the presentation and open world design. But if it's anything like Skyrim I might give it a shot.
It's kind of like Sekiro and a poorly done last gen console part. There's really no reason in 2022 to have 60 FPS locks on PC games that aren't that graphically demanding like Elden Ring. I mean, that's fine for the type of game it is. Smooth > greatest amount of eyecandy. That said on PC it isn't entirely smooth either. It's playable but, yeah, while otherwise being not far into it I would say it generally lives up to expectations. From a purely technical standpoint the games a potato. It's not Cyberpunk or even near that level of trash but it should have been better. It's not bad enough I would say don't buy it by any means on PC, just it is bad enough it does deserve to be mentioned.

It's a Souls game. Skyrim combat was laughably bad. Played a ton of Skyrim, loved the game, but yeah. It's not something you play for combat mechanics. They're entertaining enough to keep you clicking between exploring the world, doing quests, looting loots, building your character up, and all the things that make Skyrim fun. Souls games aren't that. There's similarities but the meat and potatoes is the combat mechanics and boss kills in Souls game whereas Skyrim it was the other stuff. Something like The Witcher would maybe be halfway in between with a sprawling world design and okay combat. Souls isn't that. It's not that it doesn't have a plotline, they very much do, it's just a narrow one. There's more side content that previous games but it's nothing on the scale of a Bethesda game. E.g., Skyrim ostensiably is all about banishing Alduin. He's the final boss. Also a total pushover. You can drag the fight out by cranking the difficulty to Legendary but honestly the game is just annoying on Legendary difficulty. Everything is just a health sponge. That's not fun.

Last edited by Malloric; 03-12-2022 at 02:14 PM..

Old 03-12-2022, 02:26 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,063,762 times
Elden Ring has piqued my interest, but I can't really afford the time-sink into a new fantasy RPG right now.

Added to my "maybe" list.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's kind of like Sekiro and a poorly done last gen console part. There's really no reason in 2022 to have 60 FPS locks on PC games that aren't that graphically demanding like Elden Ring. I mean, that's fine for the type of game it is. Smooth > greatest amount of eyecandy. That said on PC it isn't entirely smooth either. It's playable but, yeah, while otherwise being not far into it I would say it generally lives up to expectations. From a purely technical standpoint the games a potato. It's not Cyberpunk or even near that level of trash but it should have been better. It's not bad enough I would say don't buy it by any means on PC, just it is bad enough it does deserve to be mentioned.

It's a Souls game. Skyrim combat was laughably bad. Played a ton of Skyrim, loved the game, but yeah. It's not something you play for combat mechanics. They're entertaining enough to keep you clicking between exploring the world, doing quests, looting loots, building your character up, and all the things that make Skyrim fun. Souls games aren't that. There's similarities but the meat and potatoes is the combat mechanics and boss kills in Souls game whereas Skyrim it was the other stuff. Something like The Witcher would maybe be halfway in between with a sprawling world design and okay combat. Souls isn't that. It's not that it doesn't have a plotline, they very much do, it's just a narrow one. There's more side content that previous games but it's nothing on the scale of a Bethesda game. E.g., Skyrim ostensiably is all about banishing Alduin. He's the final boss. Also a total pushover. You can drag the fight out by cranking the difficulty to Legendary but honestly the game is just annoying on Legendary difficulty. Everything is just a health sponge. That's not fun.
I've been looking at videos of the gameplay and I most definitely know now this is a game I never will play.

You pretty much nailed why I love Skyrim. There's really no boss or enemy in that game, at least to me, that is so hard that it will make me quit. The enemy combat is more "dumbed down" so it's easy to explore and do other fun things. In looking at Elden Ring, sheesh, no thank you!

It looks like there are ways to cheese some of these exceptionally hard looking boss fights, but nah, not for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzIPFAlItVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmjORZPIFng&t=585s

Old 03-13-2022, 07:07 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,914,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I've been looking at videos of the gameplay and I most definitely know now this is a game I never will play.

You pretty much nailed why I love Skyrim. There's really no boss or enemy in that game, at least to me, that is so hard that it will make me quit. The enemy combat is more "dumbed down" so it's easy to explore and do other fun things. In looking at Elden Ring, sheesh, no thank you!

It looks like there are ways to cheese some of these exceptionally hard looking boss fights, but nah, not for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzIPFAlItVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmjORZPIFng&t=585s
Same here, I play for fun, not added stress. As an older guy my reflects are not what they used to be, these games while look nice, are just out of my league.

Old 03-14-2022, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Same here, I play for fun, not added stress. As an older guy my reflects are not what they used to be, these games while look nice, are just out of my league.
I just enjoy watching people play through the Souls games, I don't really watch other videogame walkthroughs. I personally think they are so well crafted in lore as well as colorful characters. Just the imagination it took to come up with these games is amazing to me. I'll never play them but boy do I love watching the walkthroughs (it's like art to me).

Like this one boss, the music, acting, gameplay, good stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ITVOJedlPo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games