Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2024, 06:14 PM

1,111 posts, read 606,309 times

Advertisements

Okay, I've been away from gaming for over a decade.

I'm kinda getting interested in getting a console, and Nintendo has always been my fav.

I know that the current one is the OLED Switch?

Is Nintendo just going to come out with another Switch or will they be changing their platform?

And what is the anticipated release date and specs? And of course pricing.

Will it be backwards compatible with older Switch games?

It's either that or build a gaming PC and play those games... but I'm not sure if I wanna sink so much $$$ and time building it TBH.

I really rather not buy the current Switch since it's pretty old tech so kinda interested in what the next console will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 11:41 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Probably this year, but who knows. It's Nintendo and they're notoriously temperamental.

Are you wanting something portable? Personally, if you're somewhat tech savvy, I'd look into an ASUS ROG Ally or a Lenovo Legion Go. They are handheld Windows PCs that function like a Switch for portable use. You can dock them, hook them up to a TVmonitor, pair them with Bluetooth controllers, emulation - basically anything you can do with a PC.

Old 02-20-2024, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Probably this year, but who knows. It's Nintendo and they're notoriously temperamental.

Are you wanting something portable? Personally, if you're somewhat tech savvy, I'd look into an ASUS ROG Ally or a Lenovo Legion Go. They are handheld Windows PCs that function like a Switch for portable use. You can dock them, hook them up to a TVmonitor, pair them with Bluetooth controllers, emulation - basically anything you can do with a PC.
Interesting devices! A tad pricey (~$800 here).

I will look into it, but TBH I can probably piece together a decent gaming PC for a bit more money.

I am a bit lazy and a Switch was be ideal. The current OLED one is $450.

I use to get so excited about the consoles, but that was back when the dinosaurs were roaming.

I kinda got interested in the Switch because somebody online posted speculation that a new one was coming out soon?

Old 02-21-2024, 09:37 AM

202 posts, read 147,323 times
I think it depends on the type of games that you're interested in playing. We've got the newest Xbox, PlayStation, and a Switch. I've found that the games on the Switch tend to appeal more to family gaming, but if you're interested in those, the Switch is a lot of fun, especially for casual family gaming. If you're interested in more "mature" games, I'd consider the Xbox or PlayStation if you truly want a console, or the gaming PC that you mentioned, unless portability is a primary factor.

Old 02-27-2024, 07:34 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Interesting devices! A tad pricey (~$800 here).

I will look into it, but TBH I can probably piece together a decent gaming PC for a bit more money.

I am a bit lazy and a Switch was be ideal. The current OLED one is $450.

I use to get so excited about the consoles, but that was back when the dinosaurs were roaming.

I kinda got interested in the Switch because somebody online posted speculation that a new one was coming out soon?
$800 is a lot more than I paid - with that said, I would not pay anywhere near $450 for an OLED Switch. A Switch is basically ~2015 mobile technology that was not cutting edge even at that time. I am guessing you are not in the US?

I'm a big JRPG guy, so Switch really appealed to me. It has great games, but the performance on many is so bad that it mars the whole experience. I played Ys VIII on Switch a few years ago - the performance was so bad it would nearly give me a headache from the bad framerate, cut-ins, etc. It was originally a PS Vita game, so no idea what Switch couldn't do any better. The PS5 version of it runs perfectly.

You could also look into a budget Steam Deck if portability is the primary factor. If you like it, you could always upgrade the SSD down the line.

Old 02-27-2024, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
$800 is a lot more than I paid - with that said, I would not pay anywhere near $450 for an OLED Switch. A Switch is basically ~2015 mobile technology that was not cutting edge even at that time. I am guessing you are not in the US?

I'm a big JRPG guy, so Switch really appealed to me. It has great games, but the performance on many is so bad that it mars the whole experience. I played Ys VIII on Switch a few years ago - the performance was so bad it would nearly give me a headache from the bad framerate, cut-ins, etc. It was originally a PS Vita game, so no idea what Switch couldn't do any better. The PS5 version of it runs perfectly.

You could also look into a budget Steam Deck if portability is the primary factor. If you like it, you could always upgrade the SSD down the line.
Yeah, not going to invest $450 for old technology Switch... hence me not even considering getting the current one... but hoping the new one is more "current" tech?

I'm not a huge gamer now... just somebody who loved gaming as a teen (think Super Nintendo and N64 lol).

I find myself was a bit more free time now so considering getting some sort of gaming machine or console.

Being a computer person, the natural path is to build a gaming computer. But it takes time to gather the best parts and good GPU's are still pricey.

I'm kinda interested in the VR headsets but don't know anything about them or if there are any good games on them.

The Steam Deck sounds interesting... will take a look at that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games