Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:38 PM

50 posts, read 91,211 times

Advertisements

Why does Abingdon have such a high number on the sexual assault registry-is this a problem their
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 6,298 times
Default Abingdon income tax

Interested in retiring to the general Abingdon area from TN and I'm a little confused about the income tax. Different websites give different info. I see that there is a 5% state income tax, but some surrounding towns say 5% also for their areas. But not for Abingdon. Is this a Washington county thing? Or is it just the confusing way things are listed? Thanks for any help.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:23 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,243 times
What is the name of that little restaurant known for it's baked potato soup? I've eaten there twice and can just taste that soup right now! I'll be up there in a few weeks and plan to eat there again. Their reuban sandwiches are delicious too! I highly recommend this restaurant to everyone...nothing fancy, by any means, but great food.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:06 AM

I'm going to bump this thread up to the front again, just to see if anyone can tell me the name of this restaurant...it's in an old building, which looks kind of run-down. I think the name is of it is a person's name, but I could be wrong. I'll be up there from the 20th - 27th and want to find this place again. I'm also recommending it to some friends who are going up there this Fall ('course, I should know by then since I'm going to find it if it kills me! ).

Old 07-13-2008, 12:52 PM

181 posts, read 692,464 times
Are you thinking of Ma & Pa's on the Bristol side of Abingdon? That's about the only old looking place I can think of except The Tavern and I don't believe they would be known for potato soup but their Prime Rib will melt in your mouth!!

Old 07-13-2008, 02:35 PM

Thumbs up Alison's Restaurant

Ok, here it is....Alison's on West Main Street! I just spoke to my half-brother who lives in Bristol and he told me the name. It's claim to fame is the "World-Famous Baked Potato Soup".....and I think they just could be right!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:02 PM

208 posts, read 605,207 times
My grandparents are from Abingdon. It's a nice place, different from the towns that are nearby, kind of like a diamond in the rough. Marion, up the road a piece, is an older down on its luck town. Bristol, south of town, has kind a blue-collar gritty feel. Abingdon is just a pleasant small town with a lively theater and an actual downtown. It's a busy little town, but traffic moves along.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:55 AM

5 posts, read 52,798 times
As I stated in my last post, we just moved here about a year ago. We were originally looking for a house "in" Abingdon, we wound up buying outside of town in between Abingdon and Bristol, which puts us in Washington County.While our mailing address is still Abingdon being outside of the city limits we don't pay a city property tax that we would have had to pay if our property fell inside of the town limits. Not having to pay it I can't tell you exactly what the rate is, however I don't believe it is too much, I was told by our realtor it would have wound up being $200 to $300 a year had we bought in town. For the extra money they do have curbside trash pick up, however this is available outside of the town limits for a fee through private contractors, the rate is around 50 or 60 dollars every 3 months.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:54 AM

15 posts, read 85,391 times
Default Abingdon VA or Bristol VA for Retirement

Hello to Abingdon and/or Bristol VA folks! Another "I'm planning to retire soon and can you guys help me?" question or two. Little history--I've lived in Balto MD all my life--born and raised here--and I can tell you I have NO intention of attempting to retire here First of all, I can barely afford to live here anymore on full salary much less retire here and live on an annuity. The state of my birth and life to date has shifted waaaay too liberal for me, and the city of Balto has risen to the ranks of one of the most dangerous to live in. Serious felonious crime town now, complete with gangs and illegal aliens and a designation of sanctuary city, too. What a mess. So much for my hometown history. Anyway, I've read a lot of threads re SW Virginia vs NE Tennessee, and besides the beauty of the area, it certainly seems slower paced and safer than my current locale. You know, the funny thing is, I figured I'd always be a "city girl" with the concrete under her feet at all times. Wow, what a change in perspective I've undergone!

Anyway folks, here are some questions, if you all don't mind giving me your opinions.

1. Is it cheaper living in SW Va. vs NE Tn., e.g. housing prices, property taxes, income tax?

2. I like the change of seasons, but are the winters bad in SW Va?

3. Is there land available for sale surrounding the small towns, if not inside them?

4. Would I be accepted by the local folks do you think? [Keeping in mind I AM coming from south of the Mason-Dixon line to begin with ]

5. If I needed to supplement my retirement income, would there be any places I could pick up a little part time job locally?

I've got lots more questions, but I don't want to overdo it my first time in here ... but any local wisdom folks are willling to share, I'd really, really appreciate hearing.

P.S. I [and a friend] are planning a "road trip" to the area late this summer or very early fall.

Patty J.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:13 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritay View Post
Hi, I'm 43, married w/ 1 child, we just moved to Abingdon last year from southern New England. I just wanted to say we have no regrets about our decision. The job market is a little tight right now, but no worse than up north, just less of everything to choose from. The schools are excellent, the pace of life is slower, a definite plus in my opinion, the scenery is beautiful, and the people welcoming and friendly. They have a hospital in town which I visited once and was in and out in an hour, Bristol is 10 minutes down the road with all the shopping,movies, and restaurants you could wish for. Damascus is about 25 minutes away with all the outdoor recreation you can imagine. Taxes are low and the winters mild, the summer gets a little hot, but not overly humid as on the coast. If you have any specific questions feel free to contact me, I'm posting this as I would have liked to have someone available for questions when we moved and would like to offer that option to others.
where is Southern NEw England are you from? I lived in Fairfield ....loved it ..how does abington differ from the ct yankee?

I lived in Northern VA and liked the cosmopolitan vibe...and prox to DC and the smithsonian...worried that after awhile Abington does not have enough culture and with no large cities nearby, you'd have to travel to get a serious dose of culture...trade-off - real estate I am assuming is a plus ...re new construction and property taxes - roughly how much per square foot? Looking for a lovely piece of treed land for a new one level colonial...willing to give up the DC lure for sq ft! thanks and congrats on the move..12b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia