Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 6,070 times

Advertisements

I am a single teacher in Florida sick of the weather and looking to relocate. I want to move somewhere that I can enjoy more of outdoor life such as hiking, camping, etc.
As a teacher here in Florida having the summer's off doesn't do me any good when it's too hot to do anything before dark.
Years ago I had fallen in love with and settled on the idea of moving to Fredericksburg, VA I loved the history and the relative nearness to DC, a city that I love. But since then I have decided that I want a more rural life with a lot less traffic. I still love Fredericksburg but I would like to buy a small house with at least an acre of land and have a garden and animals.

For the past two years, I have concentrated my search towards the Western part of the state. I drove through a cute little town called Wytheville and loved it but then doing research heard bad things about it.
So I have been concentrating on other cities along the 81 corridor. I love the look of Staunton but I hear it's growing more and more crowded. I want to get away from that. I have been doing a lot of work and research, I have my Virginia teaching license. I also know the pay scales of teachers in Virginia so I need to teach in a city to make more money.
But I want ideas and thoughts from people who know the places.
So...long story long...I guess my question is, for those of you who live in the area or have lived there, where would you recommend along that 81 corridor? Maybe from Abingdon to Staunton.
I know there are a lot of towns and miles there, but I am looking for a bigger town (not in the hundreds population-wise), but not a big city like Charlottesville.

I am also concerned that I will not be welcome. I don't want to move to a town that will always think of me as an outsider. Looking at Instagram I am also struck with the idea of Staunton being a "rich" town full of preppy people. I just want a nice working-class/middle-class town that I can feel comfortable in and make a home.
I understand that Virginia will be more conservative than what I am used to but at this point, I think that would be a fair trade for the weather and crime here.
Thanks in advance for any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 02:08 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Please do yourself a favor and look at Woodstock/Edinburg areas. I'm just west of Edinburg. Mountain views both from my front and back porch. Woodstock is a thriving little town with many activities throughout the year. You'd be near plenty of hiking, Skyline Drive and BRP. While 81 can be a PITA it's no I-95. Trucks can be heavy but fewer backups than 95. And don't worry as you'll have no issues being accepted. My wife and I moved here 4 years ago from Northern VA and have found the perfect church for us and we have made so many friends. Going to a Shrimp/Steak dinner at the local Moose means socializing to the point it's tough to finish your meal. Two larger cities are roughly 40-45 minutes north or south. Winchester or Harrisonburg. Both college towns. Edinburg has no chain stores or restaurants and no traffic lights. Does have Exxon and Shell Gas. Woodstock has more but still small town USA. Wife and I both know we will stay here until we die.

Views from my front porch. (Very common views here) 2nd pic is a view of the river at Harpers Ferry, WV which is about one hour away.

https://i.imgur.com/8WdsigM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Wnf34EG.jpg

Old 07-23-2019, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 6,070 times
Thank you! I will look into both.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:25 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
I live in Roanoke, not Staunton, but honestly I have never heard the image of Staunton as "crowded/rich/preppy."

Another possible option on your radar screen might be Christiansburg. It would definitely have the access to the outdoor things you love - it is large enough to have amenities but not as big as Charlottesville. There is also enough of a population base to give you more options when it comes to teaching. Honestly my wife had a hard time finding work as a teacher moving here from Texas. The districts seemed happier to hire newbies with no experience (at less compensation) than to hire an outsider with experience Hope your experience works better!! (She wound up doing subbing and then got a job as a teaching assistant.)

You might also look at Lexington.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:10 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,515,398 times
Look at Marion, Galax and Hillsville close to interstates, lower cost of living, lower crime, close to lots of recreation and yet close to larger cities.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:11 PM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Wytheville is a beautiful little town at the intersection of two major interstates. I would still closer to Roanoke, or even farther north. The problem with western VA is that most of the towns are absolutely tiny and can be a very long way away from what most people consider "normal services."

Old 07-25-2019, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Wytheville is a beautiful little town at the intersection of two major interstates. I would still closer to Roanoke, or even farther north. The problem with western VA is that most of the towns are absolutely tiny and can be a very long way away from what most people consider "normal services."
Some people want these tiny towns. I have no problem driving 40 minutes to either Harrisonburg or Winchester or an hour to Gainesville if what my area does not have. I hear no traffic from interstates. I can sit outside on my porch or deck and hear only an occasional car go by and I can watch the Hawks flying on the thermals in the valley behind my home.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:32 AM

795 posts, read 1,008,154 times
Just stay away from areas that have a banjo guy playing on a bridge. Probably a conservative area.

Seriously, no one in VA cares about your political views.

Old 12-01-2020, 07:26 PM

294 posts, read 743,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
Look at Marion, Galax and Hillsville close to interstates, lower cost of living, lower crime, close to lots of recreation and yet close to larger cities.
I've been looking at Galax and everything shows very high crime rates. Can anyone comment on why the crime rate is so high in that town?

EDIT: I think I've answered my own question: https://roanoke.com/archive/meth-epi...9fcb7eb6e.html

Last edited by Letterhead; 12-01-2020 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: found article

Old 12-02-2020, 11:23 AM

Personally I would avoid Galax. Start a new thread and seek info on the surrounding areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia