Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 07:44 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,667,732 times

Advertisements

I am receiving TONS of letters at my address from different STATES for an individual that I do no know. The outside of the envelopes reflect red light camera infractions etc. I cannot be sure that the person is not using my address when committing crimes beyond infractions. The threshold for a low class misdemeanor is quite low in Virginia and I think it is reasonable to believe that such a person could or could have committed a misdemeanor combined with the sheer amount of derogatory mail that I am getting for such a person.

I am functionally at a loss since I cannot legally open the envelope to see what they are up to.

Until recently.....I received a property tax bill included with my property tax bill in the same envelope for that person. The person is using my address for their vehicle tax.

This could lead to other problems.

How does the County's property tax office obtain vehicle information for a person? I'd imagine that they get it from the Virginia DMV? If they get it from the DMV wouldn't that person obtain a driver's license using my address? If so, I believe that this is criminal per the LIS.

Marking the envelopes return to sender no such person lives here is kind of a pain in the butt being that I have to walk half a mile to my mailbox and doing so does not preclude the other State from continuing to send me mail if they don't feel like it. Further, it does not stop the individual from false use of my address as they continue to go on their rampage unless a State feels like they would like to investigate further.

I have a legal plan and get to speak to a Virginia phone attorney who is great.

However we disagree on the importance of having this rectified. He said to just video tape myself returning each and every piece of mail to protect myself and this is becoming overwhelming.

Further, I cannot find anything in the LIS indicating that it is illegal to use someone's address for other purposes. All I could find is that it is illegal to not change your address within 30 days of a move. Well the person never lived at my residence so I cannot approach local LE or the magistrate with reasonable suspicion or probable cause because no law seems to have been broken.

Getting this cleared is pretty important due to my professions. I know this isn't a legal forum but I have seen Virginia legal threads here with answers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 12:25 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,400,322 times
I am so sorry this is happening to you.

You need to put a stop to this as soon as possible by working with your local postal authority in order to make sure that you are not held accountable for this person's criminal activity

https://www.usglobalmail.com/unautho...cause%20damage.

Old 12-19-2020, 12:37 PM

2,135 posts, read 1,205,275 times
Might ID theft. hand it off to the local police and the them investigate. Lock down your credit and notify your financial institutions.

Old 12-19-2020, 12:42 PM

1,037 posts, read 434,994 times
Red light camera tickets ID you by your license plate #, then traced to the owner.

If you are getting tickets, there is an error related to it somehow.

Are the letters addressed in your name or another's or "Resident" or such?

You cannot know who's name is on the document until it is opened. If it were me, I'd open it/them.

Yes, it is quite illegal to use anothers address to avoid Service of a legal document.

Old 12-19-2020, 12:50 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,234,776 times
Years ago, at my Connecticut SFH, I received a driver's license in the mail. Young Indian guy -- all of 18 in the picture -- with my address on his driver's license. It was sent in a blank envelope with a local postmark -- I think it may have been confiscated as a fake ID or simply left behind at a bar or restaurant.

Totally different name than mine, but a few other suspicious letters (may have been NYC red light camera citations) arrived to his name soon thereafter. My attorney said do nothing. An address does not limit to the property owner -- he noted that a lot of people in my neighborhood have carriage houses rented to college students -- different tenants every semester.

Old 12-19-2020, 12:57 PM

2,135 posts, read 1,205,275 times
You mentioned " walk half a mile to my mailbox" ... so is that rural box unlocked next to the road? If so, the perp is probably sifting your mail before you get it when expecting documents he needs. He has no clue a traffic cam got him so that sort of thing slips through. ... and will be his downfall. You should have your post office hold your mail there and pick it up for a while and see what else shows up. Or at least have them hold the mail in his name for you to get once a week. Bust up his game. I would be very active about this threat if it were me.

Old 12-19-2020, 01:04 PM

6,453 posts, read 3,973,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTU2 View Post
Red light camera tickets ID you by your license plate #, then traced to the owner.

If you are getting tickets, there is an error related to it somehow.

Are the letters addressed in your name or another's or "Resident" or such?

You cannot know who's name is on the document until it is opened. If it were me, I'd open it/them.

Yes, it is quite illegal to use anothers address to avoid Service of a legal document.
This is what I wonder, as well. I also thought they used the license plate... which they would trace back to a registration... so someone would have to have their vehicle/plate registered at OP's address? I would also think the mail would be addressed to the name of the person the plate is registered to, so OP should have that, at least (even if it might be a fraudulent name)? Even if it's someone who simply never updated their address with the DMV, many states have laws that you must do so within a certain time frame after moving, so that in itself could be illegal.

To me this sounds like fraud, if nothing else. At the very least, OP, I'd file a police report so there's something on file to show someone is fraudulently using your address and that you've reported it. But I imagine this is something the police would be interested in.

Old 12-19-2020, 02:07 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,957,639 times
If the mail is not addressed to you by name, simply write “ not at this address” and put it back in your mailbox for the post man. You’re not going to be held accountable for someone else’s Mail, or tickets... Don’t you break the law by opening other people’s mail. That’s a federal offense. D
If it’s not yours...”return to sender”.... What ever happened to common sense?

Old 12-19-2020, 05:31 PM

6,453 posts, read 3,973,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
If the mail is not addressed to you by name, simply write “ not at this address” and put it back in your mailbox for the post man. You’re not going to be held accountable for someone else’s Mail, or tickets... Don’t you break the law by opening other people’s mail. That’s a federal offense. D
If it’s not yours...”return to sender”.... What ever happened to common sense?
I think the point is that OP wants to get to the bottom of it if someone is going around giving out OP's address as their own... I certainly would, because who knows who they're giving it to (especially if someone is going so far as to register a car or plate at their address).

Old 12-20-2020, 04:18 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,505,207 times
I had the same issue. I called each company and asked to speak to their fraud department. It stopped.

Your Virginia vehicle tax bill from the county is tied into DMV's system. To report DMV fraud:

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/general...raud/index.asp

This time of year you can get through to the state tax dept easily. See if they have any way of flagging your account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia