Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 08:23 AM

9 posts, read 8,823 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at different states in the Mid-Atlantic/Southeast to move to once I have enough saved up. Virginia was on my list so I had posted in another forum which pretty much solidified my desire to move to Virginia. Based on the following criteria:

COL: Lower, not having to shell out $3K/month for a shoebox

Culture: Not huge on it, just want a place to come home to at night

Politics: I'm gay, so as long as Westboro Baptist types aren't running rampant, I'm OK. I know it sounds ironic, but I am actually somewhat conservative myself, so I don't need uber uber liberal

Jobs: As long as there's IT work, I can pretty much go anywhere except the DC suburbs (COL $$$$$)

Location: I was eyeing the Roanoke area (Ideally not right in the city) but wouldn't mind other parts of the state except NOVA. SWVA is beautiful with the mountains and close enough to maybe even have a summer cabin someday

Not sure it matters, but I'd be coming from Upstate NY

Last edited by Jtm01; 03-12-2021 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: Forgot details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 09:29 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,400,913 times
I am not so sure about the IT job market but I suggest

I-81 corridor from Winchester to points south. You will likely need to commute into a smaller city such as Lexington, Harrisonburg, Roanoke, etc.
Charlottesville area
Greater Richmond area
Hampton Roads area and maybe over the Chesapeake Tunnel Bridge into Virginia Eastern Shore as long as commuting over the Bridge isn't a deal killer

Old 03-12-2021, 03:39 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
I'll endorse I-81 and in particular Winchester. Great downtown/historic district. Close enough to the major airports near DC. Housing is cheaper compared to NOVA/DC areas. 20 years ago being gay could have been an issue in some places out here but now you will find no more Westboro types here compared to most anywhere else in VA. Would you meet more gay people in places like Alexandria, Arlington and so on? Of course but the COL is outrageous anywhere near there. Look at homes in Stephens City and you'll see a nice area with nice homes. Or look for homes in downtown Winchester for nice homes as well.

Old 03-12-2021, 04:33 PM

9 posts, read 8,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I'll endorse I-81 and in particular Winchester. Great downtown/historic district. Close enough to the major airports near DC. Housing is cheaper compared to NOVA/DC areas. 20 years ago being gay could have been an issue in some places out here but now you will find no more Westboro types here compared to most anywhere else in VA. Would you meet more gay people in places like Alexandria, Arlington and so on? Of course but the COL is outrageous anywhere near there. Look at homes in Stephens City and you'll see a nice area with nice homes. Or look for homes in downtown Winchester for nice homes as well.

Thanks!! Solid area with 66 being convenient too if for some reason I wanna go into the bigger city (LOL I'm one of those people that wants to flee the city). Having traveled the 81 corridor several times I couldn't see any reason to not want to live there. Mountains, friendly people from what I've read about the area on other threads. May be a tad chilly in winter especially near WInchester being that far north in VA but anything beats the depressingly cold, snowy hell thats Upstate NY LMAO

Old 03-13-2021, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtm01 View Post
Thanks!! Solid area with 66 being convenient too if for some reason I wanna go into the bigger city (LOL I'm one of those people that wants to flee the city). Having traveled the 81 corridor several times I couldn't see any reason to not want to live there. Mountains, friendly people from what I've read about the area on other threads. May be a tad chilly in winter especially near WInchester being that far north in VA but anything beats the depressingly cold, snowy hell thats Upstate NY LMAO
You might be surprised at how the temps in and around Winchester mirror the temps in the DC/NOVA areas and even south towards Staunton/Lancaster and so on. It's often no more than a 1-5 degrees different and sometimes even a tad warmer. Get up in the mountains and it can be a little cooler.

Old 03-13-2021, 02:40 PM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
You might want to give Abingdon a look.

It's fairly close to the TN line (15-20 miles), so pretty far south in VA. The town is around 2000', so that cuts down on summer heat and humidity. Snow is going to be minimal by upstate NY standards. When it snows, it melts in a couple days at most. The town has an excellent winery (Abingdon Vineyards), brewery (Wolf Hills Brewery), numerous good restaurants (128 Pecan, Rain, The Tavern) and some culture (Martha Washington Inn, Barter Theater).

The big deal is that work is hard to come by in this area. It could be a good choice if you could bring a job with you.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:00 AM

43 posts, read 47,492 times
Williamsburg/Jamestown/Yorktown is part of Hampton Roads so you have access to a large metro and is rural and hilly. l am in IT as are my kids. I am in Va Beach but the peninsula is nice!

Old 03-14-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oduengineer88 View Post
Williamsburg/Jamestown/Yorktown is part of Hampton Roads so you have access to a large metro and is rural and hilly. l am in IT as are my kids. I am in Va Beach but the peninsula is nice!

OP. If you want true countryside then he I-81 and I-64 are likely the better choices. If you want what I call a bustling touristy area then go to what's mentioned above. Not all of it is tourist dominated though. To me Williamsburg/Jamestown and Yorktown are the areas that has more countryside for that part of the state. I have not been in a few years but I will be in W'burg this coming weekend. If city life is not for you then definitely stay away from Norfolk.

Should all be clear as a bell now I assume? LOL.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:23 AM

16 posts, read 21,237 times
I second everything Bigfoot424 says about Winchester.

I prefer Winchester over Roanoke for several reasons, but Roanoke would absolutely work for you. I am not sure what kind area of IT you are in, but I have a lot of friends in IT in Roanoke, and there seems to quite a bit to choose from. Blacksburg could also be an option.

Personally I have found Shenandoah Valley to be a hidden gem: Winchester, Harrisonburg, Staunton and Lexington are all my cup of tea.
The mountains are also very beautiful, and the scenery more to my liking than SWVA, but the latter has cheeper houses.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:53 PM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panna_Manna View Post
I second everything Bigfoot424 says about Winchester.

I prefer Winchester over Roanoke for several reasons, but Roanoke would absolutely work for you. I am not sure what kind area of IT you are in, but I have a lot of friends in IT in Roanoke, and there seems to quite a bit to choose from. Blacksburg could also be an option.

Personally I have found Shenandoah Valley to be a hidden gem: Winchester, Harrisonburg, Staunton and Lexington are all my cup of tea.
The mountains are also very beautiful, and the scenery more to my liking than SWVA, but the latter has cheeper houses.
"Southwest VA" is huge. This could include anything from Jonesville to Roanoke, which are 3.5 hours away from each other. I live in Bristol. That's about as far as I am from Charlotte, NC, for context.

I use a rule of thumb for southwest VA. Any location north or west of I-81 needs close vetting. If it's north or west of Highway 19/460, it's Mordor - avoid it - coal country hell.

Abingdon, Marion, Damascus, Dublin - all have redeemable qualities in southwest VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia