Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 02:33 PM

35,231 posts, read 31,579,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think I would fall in line with your view. Northam is not someone I’m ride or die with but he’s done far more right than wrong.

I’m not terribly excited about McAuliffe. I’d rather Northam have another term than give a retread who didn’t do anything memorable for the state.
Same here. McAuliffe is just another career politician. Northam is quiet and effective. Terry tends to draw more attention to himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 05:45 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,699,395 times
I wouldn’t call him a career politician. He’s only spent 4 years of his life in public office.
I agree that he isn’t an exciting choice but I defiantly prefer his agenda to the cultural wars that Republicans tend to bring to states these days. I have no time for that nonsense.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:29 PM

346 posts, read 232,159 times
Terry M is a career politician because he is a former DNC chair and Clinton aide.

Literally, the only reason he moved to Virginia was to further his political career in D.C.

Youngkin is a native Virginian like Northam. That has to count for something.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:46 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,914,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
Terry M is a career politician because he is a former DNC chair and Clinton aide.

Literally, the only reason he moved to Virginia was to further his political career in D.C.

Terry is difficult.

He's running again for Gov so he can shore up recent cv experience "Executing" for his 2024 Prez Run.

Yet he does do a great job at running a complex state with very differing views pragmatically.

He is also they guy who picked up his wife and newborn from the hospital, left them in a parking lot while he made an hour speech, in winter. With crying new mom and baby. But Honey, the car heat is on and I made a million dollars in under 60 mins!

Ugh. I auto cant like anyone who runs for office anymore, idcw party or platform they ride. Sad.

Old 07-31-2021, 01:10 PM

Being born in VA actually counts for nothing. Most people living in Virginia weren’t born here. So a nonnative would actually be more in touch with the citizenry.

Old 07-31-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Being born in VA actually counts for nothing. Most people living in Virginia weren’t born here. So a nonnative would actually be more in touch with the citizenry.
This sounds an awful lot like displacement.

Do you think its preferable to displace a 'majority' population who may think differently than you?

Old 07-31-2021, 07:36 PM

…Says the nativist.
Nativism is toxic and boring.

I’m not sure who is being displaced. Virginians will decide who they want. Voting for “one of us” is gross, IMO. I heard that a lot from fellow white people when Obama was running for office.

Last edited by spencer114; 07-31-2021 at 07:55 PM..

Old 07-31-2021, 07:52 PM

35,231 posts, read 31,579,544 times
Quote:

This.

I don't want some retread from an administration that originally took office thirty years ago. That time has passed by. We need fresh eyes and fresh perspectives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Terry is difficult.

He's running again for Gov so he can shore up recent cv experience "Executing" for his 2024 Prez Run.

Yet he does do a great job at running a complex state with very differing views pragmatically.

He is also they guy who picked up his wife and newborn from the hospital, left them in a parking lot while he made an hour speech, in winter. With crying new mom and baby. But Honey, the car heat is on and I made a million dollars in under 60 mins!

Ugh. I auto cant like anyone who runs for office anymore, idcw party or platform they ride. Sad.
The bottom line is that the politically red parts of Virginia are so lightly populated that they are not politically influential.

I live in Bristol. There isn't anything significant for well over a hundred miles up the road. Right or wrong, this part of the state is outvoted by the big metros.

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 07-31-2021 at 08:21 PM..

Old 07-31-2021, 10:39 PM

5,389 posts, read 7,250,454 times
Quote:
This sounds an awful lot like displacement.

Do you think its preferable to displace a 'majority' population who may think differently than you?
Whether it's preferable or not is moot - it's already the case that native-born Virginians are a minority of the population (about 46%, I believe last I checked). People come here from all over for jobs and education. There's no going back to Virginia of yesteryear.

And who's to say all native-born Virginians think alike?

Old 08-01-2021, 05:40 AM

Whoever said all native Virginians should or do think alike? Not me. There is no monolith.

Terry M moved from NY to DC but decided to live across the river in the suburbs of Virginia. He does not put Virginia first, rather he puts his career first. He has ambitions for the presidency.

Is this who you want as governor, someone using your state as a stepping stone?

Not to mention the craziness coming out of the Virginia democratic Left today with their trans policy for every county or defund the police or send criminals back onto the streets or out-of-touch school boards being unwilling to teach kids actual academic subjects instead of SJWism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia