Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 09:23 AM

52 posts, read 84,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theminnow View Post
Not too sure about 64, but 95 is a real crapshoot. I avoid it if at all possible. Between Wash DC and Fredericksburg it can be stop and go for miles. And that is not during the summer months when on weekends everyone is trying to get to the beach. Then it is closer to a parking lot.

As far as the speed limit is concerned I drive about 5-10 mph over and have not had a problem. Be careful if you go too fast, I believe 20mph (hopefully someone with better info will chime in), over the stated limit is reckless driving. That is expensive.

I had to chuckle at your comment on one lane roads. I am the exact opposite. I lived and worked in Northern VA my entire life. Driving times from point A to Point B kept getting longer and frustrating. Now Retired and live in Culpeper Co, not too far from Mineral actually, and could not be happier with my one lane roads.

Good luck.
Thank you theminnow! It looks like I will need to find an apartment that is 30 minutes away from my job and travel to the major cities on the weekend for my cultural food.

Hahaha I think driving Allentown, PA from Reading, PA has made me a bitter one-land road person. Congrats on being retired! Can't wait to be there! Any advice to have a nice retirement and nothing to worry about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 10:25 AM

167 posts, read 163,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Explorer View Post
Thank you theminnow! It looks like I will need to find an apartment that is 30 minutes away from my job and travel to the major cities on the weekend for my cultural food.

Hahaha I think driving Allentown, PA from Reading, PA has made me a bitter one-land road person. Congrats on being retired! Can't wait to be there! Any advice to have a nice retirement and nothing to worry about?

I see two major items for a comfortable retirement. First is enough money. Second is having a reason (excluding family), to get up in the morning. For me it was simply getting a German Shepherd Dog. It can be whatever you want, just make sure you have a reason.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theminnow View Post
I see two major items for a comfortable retirement. First is enough money. Second is having a reason (excluding family), to get up in the morning. For me it was simply getting a German Shepherd Dog. It can be whatever you want, just make sure you have a reason.
Thank you again!

Old 11-18-2021, 04:52 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,438,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Explorer View Post
I checked several apartments. It looks like it will be an hour if I were to live in Charlottesville or Richmond. Which highway is better in your opinion I-64 or I-95? I can't stand one-lane roads. Dealt with that in Amishville PA and it took forever to get to anywhere. How strict are the laws when it comes to driving? For example, if it says the speed limit is 50. Do you drive exactly 50 and below? Or can you increase by 10-15? Just want to be sure I don't get a speeding ticket down that way due to being used to New England/Mid-Atlantic driving.

For cultural food/entertainment, I don't mind driving 1 or 2 hours. I would like to be closer to my work. Unfortunately, Mineral/Louisa don't have many apartment rentals like Charlottesville/Richmond.
You do not want to deal with I-95, plus it goes no where near Mineral. You will be using I-64 but to get to Mineral you WILL be on country roads. These roads are winding and sometimes a little hilly and I don’t suggest speeding. Plus the other thing you can’t count on is logging trucks. There is a lot of logging in that area and it’s not uncommon to see them. Oh yes, and there’s always….deer to watch for too. Also, anything over 85 mph in Virginia is considered reckless driving and the charges are high. Won’t be an issue in the country roads but watch out in the interstates. Richmond has a nice area to their west side called Short Pump. There’s a really nice mall there as well as a Wegman’s and many apartments and it’s just off of I-64. There may be something similar on the east side of Charlottesville, just not as familiar with that area. Both Richmond and Charlottesville have a lot going in for culture food/entertainment. My suggestion is to post under both of those su forums and see what people say.

Edit, addition. I’m spending way too much time on this! Google apartments at Zions Crossroads, VA. Here’s one example, https://www.stonegatecrossroads.com/. This area is about 30 minutes from Mineral, about 20 minutes from Charlottesville and just under an hour from Richmond. There isn’t a lot right there other than retail but it’s closer than Short Pump I mentioned.

Last edited by choff5; 11-18-2021 at 05:05 PM..

Old 11-19-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
You do not want to deal with I-95, plus it goes no where near Mineral. You will be using I-64 but to get to Mineral you WILL be on country roads. These roads are winding and sometimes a little hilly and I don’t suggest speeding. Plus the other thing you can’t count on is logging trucks. There is a lot of logging in that area and it’s not uncommon to see them. Oh yes, and there’s always….deer to watch for too. Also, anything over 85 mph in Virginia is considered reckless driving and the charges are high. Won’t be an issue in the country roads but watch out in the interstates. Richmond has a nice area to their west side called Short Pump. There’s a really nice mall there as well as a Wegman’s and many apartments and it’s just off of I-64. There may be something similar on the east side of Charlottesville, just not as familiar with that area. Both Richmond and Charlottesville have a lot going in for culture food/entertainment. My suggestion is to post under both of those su forums and see what people say.

Edit, addition. I’m spending way too much time on this! Google apartments at Zions Crossroads, VA. Here’s one example, https://www.stonegatecrossroads.com/. This area is about 30 minutes from Mineral, about 20 minutes from Charlottesville and just under an hour from Richmond. There isn’t a lot right there other than retail but it’s closer than Short Pump I mentioned.
Thank you so much!!! I'll post on those two boards now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia